Sign in to follow this  
fearispower

I Don't Want To Be A Failure

My condition isn't helping my current situation. I'm in college right now, and I'm working to buy everything but my rent. I got a couple of interviews, but no one would hire me, I think mostly because I spent the entire last year out of work. I eventually landed a job with a local cleaning company, but only because I begged them for it after they'd already told me they weren't going to hire me. Two months later, I've been trying to get my training done. They give me feedback, tell me to check over everything, and I try. Over the weekend, I throw myself into it, and the person who checks on me says I did good on the parts she looked at before I left. I get a call from my boss, and apparently she had to spend two hours trying to fix what I missed. And I'm fired.

I tried. I honestly tried as hard as I could. I listened to all of the feedback, and tried to incorporate it. It just wasn't enough. Who's gonna want to hire me now that they see I couldn't hold down a job for three months? My boss said she'd give me a really good recommendation, but people are just gonna look at that job record and dismiss me.

I tried, I really tried. I don't want to be a failure. Now that I know I'm a failure, my condition's kicking in, and I don't even wanna eat. What do I do now?

Hi fearispower,

I'm sorry they did that. I'm sure you gave your all and everything. When we experience failures and downfalls the easiest thing to do is to let emotions take over us and give up. after all, we feel like "what's the point of trying?". But there is a point. This too shall pass, they say. And I believe that to be true. I'd recommend talking to a college advisor and ask what they think you can do to your resume or during your job hunt to appeal more to employers. Also, if you have a job that you worked at for longer periods of time, put that on your resume. I'd also recommend doing some freelance work. That has helped many of my friends when they were young and couldn't get a job but needed to fill the space on the resume and still score later. What freelancing allows you do to is work your own schedule and sell your work to businesses. Freelance journalism (write a story about something that will occur in your town like a review on a band performance), photography pay well and give you great stability for getting future call backs from employers. You can also try applying at consulting firms where they pay you for attending an event or visit a local restaurant or bar and write a review. Many of my college friends did that while in school and didn't need to show much if any employment history. These are just thoughts on how you can kickstart your career.