Sign in to follow this  
PessimOptimist

Get Up And Move/exercise Challenge

Hello everyone.

We all know by now and have read about the very well documented and proven affects of exercise.  I've checked around a little on the boards and have not seen anywhere for members to post the exercise they do during the day.  So I'm starting this thread for myself and others to post the exercise that wed do, to do it on a daily basis, and for us to encourage each other.  Hopefully it will be as active as one of the many 'How do you feel right now" threads and become a habit to log in and post every single day.  It will also provide me a good reason to check in with the DF Family on a regular basis.  So to help keep the thread on topic and help everyone get in some exercise every day, here are some simple rules I'd like to see this thread follow.  

The main goal is to just get up and move continuously for a minimum of 10 minutes every day.   

• Exercise must be a minimum of 10 minutes in duration. 
  • Please do NOT post your workout routines or expert opinion on what others should be doing.  If you feel compelled to do so start another thread for exercise routines.  If someone asks you then reply in a PM.  Simply allowing others to read the exercise you posted will be more than enough to give someone ideas on what to do.  
  • Exercise can include traditional cardio, weights, Physical Therapy, housework (especially vacuuming), yardwork, yoga/pilates/in home videos, dance (what a fun way to exercise), hiking, geocaching, video games that make you active like Wii Fit or Tennis or Boxing, bowling, walking up the stairs in your house, walking your dog.  Whatever you do that gets you up and moving for 10 mins. Google is full of free, fun, simple ideas to get moving.      
  • To encourage others, simply 'Like' someone's post.  Maybe see how many likes you can get to your post!
  • If you feel compelled to acknowledge someones achievement, simply include it in your post where you state what exercise you did today. 

Again, the goal is for you to come in on a daily basis and post your exercise for the day.  If you do this, I guarantee if you look back over your posts here in one month you will see an improvement in what you accomplish.  Just imagine what your posts, not to mention yourself, will look like in three months, six months...a year.

And since I'm so damn detailed, here are a couple simple tips. 

• I know how hard it is to even get out of bed some days...this thread gives you a reason...do it anyway!  We want to celebrate with you.  
  • Say YES before you can say no.   Stop saying "I don't _______"; feel like it, have the energy, have the time, etc.  
  • Commit in advance
  • Go with a friend
  • Expect to Suck (lmao, I do!)
  • Have fun.  That's right, enjoy it D***it!!  I said to!!

And above all, please keep this thread light hearted, encouraging, and uplifting.  

Let's do it!

I walked 4 times around a park in my neighborhood. They recently put this new gravel trail in and I have fun music to walk to. 4 times around is nearly 1.5 miles. It took a little over 20 minutes, and I didn't count chatting with a neighbor who was there with her kids.

Oh bugger off Pess haha ;). I'm totally kidding, this is a terrific idea. I need a push to get back to regular exercise, it makes me feel so much better. Nothing to report b/c I just got up, but I will really try to get up off my (normally completely stationary) a** today. Amazing effort everyone.

I played ping pong with my son for around 30 minutes.  Now that's some fun exercise!  Plus I always kick his ass and he gets so mad.  LOL.  

Hey Els1e!  You get up off your ass yet?  LOL.  If I "bugger off" for 10 mins does that count?  Isn't that like twerking where you're from?  :roll2:

LOL Pess & Els1e :)

Yesterday, I did not do much. I made dinner--that was like standing and chopping for about 20 minutes.

But today, I walked to the community center (close to a mile, about 15 minutes with the shortcuts through the parking lots & alleys). Then at the center I walked a little more, then danced in the empty aerobics room, did weights and stretched.

Then I walked home.

Now I'm going to take a shower...in 3...2...1...

Instead of "exercise" today I did a solid 2 hours of manual labor tearing down some lattice work and framing under my deck so workers can get in to replace and pack soil that eroded away as well as moved 100 pave stones and a bunch of miscellaneous wood scraps out.  I feel like I spent hours in the gym I'm so sore but felt really good about getting this done today while it was unseasonably warm (80°) and  before the rain comes tomorrow and the cold weather behind it.  Should sleep well tonight.  

Sunday, I vacuumed the living room, did two sink loads of dishes, several loads of laundry, swept and mopped the kitchen floor, did a pretty big grocery run with lots of walking, wiped down cabinets and straightened up my bedroom. It feels like I'm missing a thing or two.

I played ping pong with my son for around 30 minutes.  Now that's some fun exercise!  Plus I always kick his ass and he gets so mad.  LOL.  

Hey Els1e!  You get up off your ass yet?  LOL.  If I "bugger off" for 10 mins does that count?  Isn't that like twerking where you're from?  :roll2:

LOL (sorry, haven't been around for awhile)

You're such a pr*ck Pess (re never letting your son win anything), I love it haha. Why does he keep playing you? He's not learning.

Did I get up off my a**? Short answer - No. There's no long answer b/c I've really done absolutely nothing since that last post. Except lie on the couch & watch (& argue on whovian forums over) past Doctor Who episodes on Netflix. Does nerding it* count? I'll blame the meds, or depression, or whatever other excuse I have lying around. This definitely won't be a well-populated-with-Els1e-posts thread :( Nah, I'll get there. I will. Mood is just super low & the weight-loss paranoia's back (ack).

Haha Re whether buggering off is going to achieve cardio brownie points, only if you bugger off at a dead run & don't stop for 10 mins.

Hahahahaha re twerking. No it's not the same, but 'twerk off' would sort of work as a combination of both & would definitely count. I'd like to see that lol. It has a nice ring to it, I might try to make that catch on. No one (sensibly) listens to me though :'-(

*N.b. That's extreme nerding. Kind of like extreme sports, but pretty much the polar opposite :p

Luckily my job is very active. 

When I'm not at the main job things are much more sedentary so I have to make the effort to get up and move around.  I like brisk walking and can even do that in the bldg I live in - lots of stairs to climb and hallways to scurry through.  Going out is better & there is a nice trail to walk on nearby when the weather is good. 

I do situps and pushups at home - easy to do almost anywhere.

I went to exercise class yesterday and before that, walked vigorously around the indoor track with a woman who really speeds along.

I got all sweaty!

But by the end of yesterday evening, I had hurt my knee doing something--not sure what, so I've been icing it and staying off it today.

My usual commute is on foot. I live one mile from the office, so it's a 15 minute walk. I used to walk a lot more, but a combination of laziness and I don't know what has kept me from wearing out my shoes quite as fast as I used to.

I need to knock off the carbs and get more active again. I can feel myself becoming out of shape.

Oh yeah, and I do a "plank" for as long as I can, pretty much daily. My elbows can't tolerate pushups or weights anymore so the plank is just the ticket.

Edited by JD4010

I just found this thread.  Thanks Pess for starting.

I did nothing today, but I did a 2 hour walk and two 1 hour walks this week.  I am trying to walk at least an hour everyday - not quite hitting it yet, as you can see.

So, tomorrow it is.