Sign in to follow this  
brightestdayblackestnight

Soundtrack In My Mind?

For most of my adult life, I've had music playing in my head pretty constantly.  I recently came to a couple of realizations on this fact:

1.  The music almost always correlates to my mood, but it isn't anything I actively choose to have stuck in my head

2.  I don't seem to actually have control of it.  It's just there.

I'm curious about whether or not anybody else has dealt with this phenomenon or if any of you have insight about it.

Thanks!

Hi brightestdayblackestnight,

I have also found myself enchanted, almost hypnotized by certain music at various times in my life.  Such a mysterious experience but so human I think.  Some people have told me that they have experienced getting songs "stuck in their minds" in an unpleasant or scary sense.  I actually do not have any experience with that.  I am only human and if I felt sort of possessed by a song in that sense, I would find that scary.  I have read accounts of scientists who get certain mathematical problems stuck in their minds.  Sometimes it leads to important new discoveries.  I wonder, sometimes, if music in our minds, leads us to good places too at least sometimes.

I am certainly no authority on this or anything else.  I imagine Cognitive Behavior Therapy has techniques for breaking the spell of music that negatively affects a person.  So far in life, I have never been in that situation.  Life is so mysterious and awesome.  Hopefully you will get better responses than mine brightestdayblackestnight.!

Respectfully,  Epictetus

Music is your companion to tell you that you have a good soul.  

Mozart wrote his best music while riding in a carriage, not thinking about writing music.  I have certainly had that sensation often, and most often when depressed.  I miss the music when its not there, although its replacement is usually enjoying other parts of life.  I enjoy the music, even write it down sometimes.  

Ohrwurm! Ohrwurm! I get this as well and have for as long as I can remember. It seems to be hereditary too; with my dad it was usually something like Tchaikovsky which he’d half sing along with, and my brother and I used to share what our ‘mind radios’ were playing (sometimes pretty obscure stuff). My son frequently gets jingle bells stuck on repeat in his head, which is fortunately appropriate to sing along with during this season but a bit out of place the rest of the time.

I get tunes stuck in head a lot. Often it will part of a song. I sing in choirs so sometimes it's part of a song, but it can also be advertising jingle. (Those advertisers shouldn't get too complacent though. The last jingle I got was from a car ad but I don't remember what make!)

Does it bother you, bdbn?  If not, then maybe it's OK.  I would guess that music is important to you if it is a companion.  I know that I love music and there is usually something playing 'upstairs'.