Sign in to follow this  
Tux

Side Effects

Hi all,

I have been going through a serious rough time the past few months and my psychiatrist decided to put me back on medication.

I used to take Zyprexa and some other stuff, but gained LOTS of weight on it. A few years later I was doing well and in agreement everyone decided I could try without meds.

Now I am put on Abilify, mainly because I threw a hissy fit over weight gain and fear of it (I have issues) and both the psychiatrist and the pharmacist assured me that was NOT a side effect .

Except the leaflet states it is and so do most of the posts I find online!

I only started today and tbh so far I feel like my anxiety went through the roof, I feel I am shaking on the inside, ants in the pants and quite frankly I feel like I am on speed. I thought it shouldn't have that effect?

Is it really such a huge side effect, the weight gaining? That is not helping my state of mind at all, I am kinda panicking.

Thanks in advanced and I apologize if my post is a bit scattered, I feel wired!

Hi, I too just started on abilify and can attest to the ants in the pants, can't sit still, feeling like I'm on speed or something equivalent to that. My PDoc assured me that it will settle down with time and especially at higher doses, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. There's also the risk wih any AP of akathesia...so if the ants in the pants don't subside and you find yourself more and more restless and have to always be on the move in some form or fashion i,e. restless leg, pasing and other involuntary movements than bring it up to the Doc right away. I've only been on 5 mg for one week and my left lower lid won't stop twitching, it also has been causing me some eye pain too. Stay hydrated.

@Tinamommy  Thank you for your reply. Today was somewhat better, but it seems to bring a lot of side effects with it. I spoke to the doc about it and he told me it could take a while before it all levels out. I suppose if in the end it makes me a little bit more sane I shouldn't give up too quick. But the weight gain scares me, that is bringing back an old issue that I thought I had somewhat overcome by now. Guess I was wrong.

Now that some time has passed I can attest that the intensity of the side effects have lessened. I do still find it a bit challenging to sit still, like when I'm taking a call in the car I almost feel the need/urge to get out so I can at least walk around a bit or pace some. I don't like the feeling of needing to always move in my chair to find a better more comfortable position either...BUT sanity is way more important and im hoping within more time this aspect of sides will lessen even more. I too can foresee where things are heading weight wise. I've been on Abilify now for about 5 weeks and I've already put back on 8 lbs. I lost sooooo much weight during my relapse so this is welcomed at the moment but later it might not be so welcomed anymore.

Well, I ended up in hospital thanks to the side effects, it affected my heart and I feel quite unwell. Thankfully tapered off them, couldn't stay on them they were making me  very sick. Feel pretty down and unwell though :(

Hi Tux, how are you doing now?? I missed this last post you made back in Late Dec. what was going on with your heart? And what did they decide to put you on instead? Hope you are feeling better or improves some since this last post of yours. I still can't stand how restless this made makes me feel, I've always got to be doing something, anything! Otherwise I have to keep my body or feet moving in some way. You'd think it's a stimulant!

For a few months I was on a combo of a very high dose of Prozac and a very low dose of abilify. My psych warned there was a risk of tardive dyskinesia (twitching, etc). That didn't happen but I had a terrible issue with gagging. If I even smelled something bad I would gag until I vomited. So I quit it. 8 or so years later I still have this issue. I can't even brush my teeth anymore until the afternoon because of it and even then I'll gag. In the morning just looking at my toothbrush makes me gag. Anyone else experience this?

I've been on a low dose, 5mg down to 2mg and now 1mg. So weight gain was never an issue for me although I did experience sleep problems. It also makes me tired. 

I have been on a variety of meds for over 30 years for anxiety/panic attacks/depression. I was doing very well on Klonopin and Lexapro for a long time, but have been having more depression again. It was getting to the point of suicidal ideation, so my doctor lowered my Lexapro dose and put me on 1 mg of abilify about 2 weeks ago. I have been having trouble sleeping, can't sit still and now gagging issues. It's freaking me out because I also have a fear of vomiting! The abilify is having some positive effects, but I feel like I want to stop there are too many negative side effects I'm dealing with. So frustrated! 

most common "side effect" of abilify is agitation...

your body doesn't like it

chemical imbalance theory your body is merely re-adjusting too has been canned even by the royal college of psychiatry now. prescription rates and misinformation trained doctors are still operating on the presumptions of this dragon age marketing scam

I hit 200.  I'm still on it though, because the other anti-psychotics I tried caused even worse side effects.  I'm really upset and don't know what to do.  I've tried dieting, and I'm too tired to exercise.  People keep looking at me as if I can control my weight, and I just don't think that is ENTIRELY correct.  I understand that I might overeat a bit due to depression, but I think the Abilify is causing some weight gain in all honesty.  Hope this helps someone.  Back to the drawing board with me:)

I'm off it now, did not experience any weight gain while I was on it but weight loss has always been a problem for me. It did mess up my sleep and gave me crazy dreams like no other medication I have taken. I would wake up screaming and yelling on a regular basis. 

I can totally relate with the worrying about the weight gain issue. I am like horrified to look at myself in the mirror. Ability is in a class of drugs that can cause weight gain. Latuda is another drug similar to ability. When I first started taking Latuda I was hopeful it was going to work. About a few days into taking the medication, I began to feel like I had to get up and walk round, so I did. But then I sat back down and couldn't sit. I had to keep walking around. Latuda has a wonderful side effect of making your legs move involuntarily. I made an appointment for the doctor as soon as possible because I could sit still. When I was in the doctors office, I couldn't sit in the waiting room chairs. I had to walk around the whole time as I waited to be seen. Everyone in the waiting room was looking at me weird. Then when my doctor finally took me into his office, I had to walk around his office and his office is pretty small. Benztropine is a parkinson medication, but it helps relieve the symptoms of the involuntary leg movements and need to walk around. On top of the Latuda side effects, I had to deal with the benztropine side effects. This included an overall feeling of weirdness and cloudiness. The worst side effect for me of the benztropine was the blurred vision. Blurred vision is an understatement. I was like blind for the week or so it took to get the latuda out of my system. It was either move around all night and day or don't see anything. You can see how interesting driving was. Why am I saying all of this? I was petrified to take anything else in the drug class. My doctor told me we should try Ability and start low in dosage and slow. I was taking 2.5 mg of initially. Then we increased it to 5 mg about two weeks later. A few days after my appointment, I came home from work and couldn't sit down. I had the same side effect again...my legs just kept wanting to move. Ability and Latuda are essentially mood stabilizers. They are also ones that have a higher potential to make you gain weight. Lithium carbonate is pure garbage and never take that. You will feel so sluggish and feel like you gained 2000000 pounds. For someone who is bulimic like me, body image and feeling good about myself is key. Lamictal is a mood stabilizer, but you're more likely to lose weight then gain it with that. It may be an alternative thing to try and bring up to your doctor. I do warn you though. Lamictal is a fantastic drug, but it is a black box warning drug. Sometimes people develop a rash from it, this is known as steven johnson syndrome, and if you don't go to the hospital and get a shot of steroids.....well things may end badly. Lamictal was a real eye opener, but for me it made the most sense. You get the mood stabilizing aspect, you are more likely to have weight loss rather than weight gain and at least the biggest side effect of it is known and can be treated quickly if needed. I totally relate to you with the weight and watching our body images so closely. Keep fighting the good fight and see what your doctors feels about putting you on lamitcal. Express your concerns about the weight gain and hopefully our doctor will work with you. Mirrors lie! Mirrors are reflections of our distorted image of ourselves. You are fighting depression here, its about survival at this point! When you come out of this and find the right combination of drugs and possibly even talk therapy, you will be truly beautiful because at least now you are taken cared of and happy. I believe in you and don't let the mirror control your life...you control the mirror!

Formerly morbidly obese and as somebody who was only able to gain control of their weight after starting anti depressants i was quite unhappy to gain 30 pounds after starting abilify to try and fix ssri induced anhedonia.

It's a pill that has been known to cause addictive behavior.  To say it doesn't cause weight gain is ridiculous.  It definitely can make you want to eat everything in the house.

I know this thread has been around for a while but it has been  helpful. So thanks all for sharing your experiences with Abilify.

My psychiatrist just prescribed it (small dose, 2mg) for an add-on treatment for major depression. He discussed all the side effects with me and frankly they worried me. The weight gain, increased blood sugar and the movement disorders were the worst. l have lost 50 lbs in the last year and so finally have diabetes under control. I think I would be more  depressed and anxious if both of those increased. My self-esteem has skyrocketed due to all the complements on my looks. I feel better lighter and not having diabetic episodes.

I argued but told him I would try it. My pills arrived today so I decided to check DF for any comments. I think I am not going to take them. The side effects are not worth the boost in mood and mood stability. 

Going to call Monday and say "no thanks". Luckily I with insurance I didn't pay a fortune for it.

I was taking like 2.5 mg of Abilify in combo with 10mg Lexapro for a while, and I'm now getting off the Abilify. I was sooo restless, couldn't sleep well, and very mood swingy. The positive effects were great, though - I felt social for the first time in my life (I have depression and social anxiety). I hated to give it up. I also gained a few pounds on it - hopefully those will melt off now that I'm giving it up.

Thank you all for your replies.  In the end it wasn't a concern in my case as I suffered a rare side-effect which meant going off them immediately.