Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
Forum Admin

Random Thoughts 2

1,355 posts in this topic

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

A woman asked me how I was feeling. She seemed concerned and said she hadn't seen me around. I told her I'd been around (where I work), different shifts.  I was touched that she seemed concerned. I felt so grateful to her and almost let loose a "my husband's sick, I don't know what I'd do if he died or couldn't work anymore and if I were alone and I feel so isolated and lonely..."

Posted · Report post  

Just finished reading Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway by Susan Jeffers, which my counsellor recommended. Not a bad book. Obvious and simple advice but those are the sort of things that it's easy to overlook. Positive thinking is ultimately nihilistic. That's not necessarily a bad thing though I doubt if it's the message that she meant to convey. Nihilism is usually associated with a grim outlook on life - everything is hopeless, everything is worthless. But if you don't believe in anything then why would believe that your pessimistic outlook is anything more than a subjective opinion? You become an uber nihilist when you realise that you can't believe in your own disbelief.

Anyway, the most nihilistic thing Susan Jeffers says is "Why choose to be right instead of happy when there is no way to be right". I guess that's true although that sentence negates the meaning of truth. Believing that house hippos exist (hello Canadians) might make me happy, but alas they don't. There is no way to be right and the grim way I often view the world isn't wrong, though it doesn't help me much. There are nicer things to believe but are they true? I see all that's wrong with the world because I'm so brave and intellectually honest. Rubbish. Attempts to justify how miserable I feel, and it's far from being the truth.

I'm probably overtinking all this. What sort of arsehole writes about Susan Jeffers and nihilism? The over examined life is not worth living. Sure we construct our own reality and there's no such thing as the truth. But that doesn't sound right either. Our senses are unreliable even before our view of reality is distorted by our feelings. And talking like this is why I never get laid.

Posted · Report post  

The charges against Harvey Weinstein have led to a lot of women speaking up about the sexual harassment they've suffrered from him and other men. I think a lot of men are surprised how common this seems to be. That was the sort of thing that happened in the 70's or 80's right? We know better now right? Apparently not. How did Harvey Weinstein get away with it for so long? You've heard the things he did but that's just Harvey! Yeah ol' rapey Harvey, what a character!

It's not difficult at all. You have sisters and daughters and nieces. You'd want to punch the guy in the face who sexually harassed someone you care about so don't do it to anyone else. I have been a bit shocked by how common this sort of thing is to women. Sure it happens but we don't tolerate that shi*t these days. Men don't do that sort of thing anymore, we've learnt better. Some of us haven't learnt a ****ing thing apparently.

Posted · Report post  

9 minutes ago, SpiralingMind said:

hypothetical thought: how many times do i have to fail before i give up?

You haven't failed until you give up.

Posted · Report post  

From Science Daily:

Scientists have identified a key chemical within the 'memory' region of the brain that allows us to suppress unwanted thoughts, helping explain why people who suffer from disorders such as anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and schizophrenia often experience persistent intrusive thoughts when these circuits go awry.

I want some of that.

Posted · Report post  

Realizing i hate daylight savings time... another hour of insomnia while the rest of the world seems to be asleep (I don’t think I’ve slept since I was 14... how is that possible). But I’ll be SO tried in the morning.. yay.. more to look forward too.

FYI - today is definitely not my day.

Posted · Report post  

Pumpkin seeds are high in tryptophan, which we need to make serotonin, higher per ounce than poultry.

(The Chrome dictionary wants to change tryptophan into Aristophanes. ???)