What Do You Do When You Need Hope?

Just wondering what you folks do when you need a little hope in your life.  Books, poetry, movies, TV, creative pursuits, hiking...anything.

As some people might guess from my avatar and name, I'm a big fan of Green Lantern.  When I'm really in a rut, I often read Green Lantern: Rebirth.  The focus of the story is on overcoming fear.  My particular problems involve a lot of anxiety, so the theme has always really resonated with me.

I read the bible, speak to my parents and listen to my christian playlist.

I've been reconnecting with my faith a lot lately.  Are there any passages that really speak to you about depression and anxiety?

No, I don't have any particular passages...just reading anything from the bible and having that closeness with God seems to make my problems subside a little. I do tend to read a lot from Revelations.

-I phone a friend or family member to chat about something or go visit. It always makes me feel better even though sometimes I just can't break out of the self isolation.

-listen to uplifting music like trance or house or yoga music

-hug my dog

-read thru my copy of "you are not your brain" an amazing book for anyone with mental health problems

-make a list of everything im grateful for

-

I have re-discovered swimming.  It really is an amazing thing. I find myself in the deep end; twirling and flipping and running…..bobbing up and down with the water weights…..  I feel totally free -…my feet not touching anything…. In these moments.. my thoughts are about nothing… my mind starts to clear and I begin to imagine the best possibilities…..

Edited by SoulSurvivor

Like Hocico, I find hope by trying to bring it to others.  Reading helps a lot.  Praying is the most helpful to me personally.  Perhaps it is a combination of all of these plus some others that I have forgotten at the moment.   Showing compassion to any little create helps me feel hopeful, even providing bread crumbs to a group of ants.  Putting food out for birds and squirrels.   

Edited by Epictetus

• 1 month later...

I try to remind myself that there is always tomorrow

…and maybe I should stick around to see what happens...

I have been re-watching Angels in America for several weeks now. It is a book- turned into a play turned into a mini-series with Al Pacino, Meryl Streep, Justin Kirk and Mary Louise Parker to name a few… it's about the beginning of the AIDS era: there is historical truth, horror, delusions and parts of it are laugh out loud funny,,, but it's the ending that gives a loud message of hope.. it has been getting me through some tough times lately