Could I Possibly Have Seasonal Affective Disorder (Sad)?

ac1991

So, I've been in therapy and on meds for depression most of the year after finally admitting I couldn't just keep going on my own and felt like things were getting better. I live in the Midwest and the past few weeks I feel like things have been getting rougher again so I'm wondering if the weather and seasonal affective disorder (SAD) could be impacting my depression. I haven't talked to my t or p-doc about it yet, but does anyone here deal with SAD? If so, do you use a lightbox or have any other tips?

Yes, I have it.  I bought a lightbox but it is made with a lot of plastic & it's quite stinky when the light's on so I quit using it.  Something else that may be helpful is Vitamin D3.  It's probably best to see your family doctor to talk about it.  I believe there is a blood test that can tell you if you are low on D3.  I hope you can get to see your T & pdoc soon to discuss how you've been feeling.

Miserable as it may be, getting outside for a daily walk is a good idea.  Going out around noon when the most possible sun is available is probably best. My climate is milder than midwest but winter still has an effect on me.

I hope you will be able to get some help and support with what you are going through ac1991!

Oh, it looks like you are new to DF so ... welcome!

I use the happy light from Bed Bath and Beyond, the Verilux brand, and it's been great for me. My boyfriend has one too, it helps us both tremendously in the winter. I would also recommend taking Vitamin D3, I need to go pick some up myself.  It certainly won't hurt to try either! Just remember with the light, you need to use it for 30 minutes to an hour a day for it to work properly. :)

I can totally relate. I feel that SAD makes my depression way worse, the other thing that goes with the darker seasons is the fall/winter holidays which for many inclusing myself can bring up a lot of emotions. Hang in there and know you are not alone in this struggle. If you feel like you need someone to talk to my inbox is always open haha. Take care.

-LNP

Thanks for the comments guys. I've been lurking here on DF off and on but I'm not a huge poster. Don't see my pdoc for another 2 weeks but I'll try talking with my T on Monday and see what he thinks. Talking with my wife some last night, she thinks it could certainly be possible that there's some seasonality and that she has been able to tell in the last week especially that I haven't been myself. I tend to be very private and try really hard not to let people see when I'm doing poorly, so getting called out on it is another marker for me that it is really here and impacting me.

I've been doing some more reading on SAD online and light therapy and from what I've seen it looks like people say to use it under doc supervision still in case you swing towards mania. Did your docs/T recommend lights and/or vitamin D or did you just try it on your own?

Lurking is just fine too.  Please know that you are welcome to lurk &/or post as you see fit. 

Yes, my T (she is also an MD) recommends light therapy and Vitamin D.  In fact, b/c of your post, I spoke to her again Thursday about both topics.  She suggested I contact the manufacturer of my stinky lightbox and tell them about it.  (the store I bought it from is gone)  She also wants to do some blood testing to check Vit D (as well as ferritin [probably not a concern for you if you are male], B12 & folate).