What A Big Community...

Hi everyone...

I've been looking at a lot of depression-related forums (in my other languages as well) and this is the biggest I've found. Honestly, the thought of posting in a forum that had 163 members lurking in it just seemed... depressing :joker:

I hope I can find a couple of like-minded people here or at least make someone laugh.

:1cat: See you guys.

Hi Catbug and welcome to DF,

You have joined a wonderful community here at DF, there are thousands of active members and I am sure you will make some friends! There is something therapeutic about sharing our thoughts and worries over the internet.

Anyways, before I waffle on :coophaha: I hope you have a wonderful time and I look forward to reading your future posts.

Hi everyone...

I've been looking at a lot of depression-related forums (in my other languages as well) and this is the biggest I've found. Honestly, the thought of posting in a forum that had 163 members lurking in it just seemed... depressing :joker:

I hope I can find a couple of like-minded people here or at least make someone laugh.

:1cat: See you guys.

HIYA and welcome to the family :taz:

Hello, catbug, and welcome to this site!  It’s an excellent forum, and full of people who are compassionate, kind, understanding and helpful.

I’m not a moderator nor administrator, just a regular member responding to your message to say “hi”.

Interesting that you seem light-hearted and good-humored, that can help to minimize depression and anxiety sometimes.

When you’re ready to tell us more about yourself, the type of information that creates interesting and compassionate conversation would be things like: what is your diagnosis, and what medications do you take?  Do you see a therapist, and has your therapy been helpful so far?  What are some of the specific challenges of your current situation?

You posted your message in the correct section for “new members”, but I’ll tell you a helpful hint: not everybody on the forum reads and responds to the new member posts as often as we all should.

So, if you find that you only get a few answers to your introductory message, don’t get discouraged.

Just take a look around the forum and read the messages in the other sections, and next time you post try posting in one of the regular sections, and you may get more reads and responds.

I hope you’re able to find any help and friendship here that you need.  Again, welcome!

Hi Catbug! I agree that DF is a wonderful community full of a lot of caring and supportive people. The other great thing is that you can openly talk about your problems without fear of judgement, while also stating your successes. It's very open and I hope that you will find the support that you are looking for. :)

Hello, catbug, and welcome to this site!  It’s an excellent forum, and full of people who are compassionate, kind, understanding and helpful.

I’m not a moderator nor administrator, just a regular member responding to your message to say “hi”.

Interesting that you seem light-hearted and good-humored, that can help to minimize depression and anxiety sometimes.

When you’re ready to tell us more about yourself, the type of information that creates interesting and compassionate conversation would be things like: what is your diagnosis, and what medications do you take?  Do you see a therapist, and has your therapy been helpful so far?  What are some of the specific challenges of your current situation?

You posted your message in the correct section for “new members”, but I’ll tell you a helpful hint: not everybody on the forum reads and responds to the new member posts as often as we all should.

So, if you find that you only get a few answers to your introductory message, don’t get discouraged.

Just take a look around the forum and read the messages in the other sections, and next time you post try posting in one of the regular sections, and you may get more reads and responds.

I hope you’re able to find any help and friendship here that you need.  Again, welcome!

I've thought about sharing that already but I'm not quite sure where to post it... DepressionCentral? Or is there a specific section for sharing your diagnosis etc?

Thanks for the welcome everyone

Hi, Catbug:

There's no specific section to post your current diagnosis and treatment, and no requirement for that.

Many people just summarize it when they are posting about a specific question or a specific challenge they're currently facing, usually as it relates to the issue at hand.

Many times, people who are new to depression and new to emotional and mental challenges haven't yet followed all the standard steps to get their symptoms under control.  So, sometimes if a new member indicates "I don't take medications, I don't see a therapist" then it gives a basis of discussion of providing them some genuinely useful information rather than just generic sympathy.

Other members have specific disorders or specific symptoms, and when they mention them it gives other members in the same situation to share their experiences with that specific issue.

After you've read a lot of posts, you get an idea of how specific or how general the various messages can be.