Best Shows/movies, And Depression Or Related Themes

gandolfication

I saw a movie recently called Stand Clear of the Closing Doors. It's centered around a boy with autism, but I related to the different characters in different ways, especially the mother. She is clearly depressed, trying to care for her two kids (one "normal", the other not), working two jobs, an immigrant. I really recommend it, especially for people who come from immigrant families. It's very relatable.

Also, Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter. This is not a happy film, but it kinda got marketed as manic pixie dream girl goes on a fantastic journey and meets many friends. My opinion on the ending changed when I found out this was based on a true story.

These are the two I recently watched and enjoyed.

I saw a movie recently called Stand Clear of the Closing Doors. It's centered around a boy with autism, but I related to the different characters in different ways, especially the mother. She is clearly depressed, trying to care for her two kids (one "normal", the other not), working two jobs, an immigrant. I really recommend it, especially for people who come from immigrant families. It's very relatable.

Also, Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter. This is not a happy film, but it kinda got marketed as manic pixie dream girl goes on a fantastic journey and meets many friends. My opinion on the ending changed when I found out this was based on a true story.

These are the two I recently watched and enjoyed.

I love the premise of  Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter starting with the Japanese girl finding the VHS of Fargo and thinking it may be a real treasure map.

I have never watched Fargo all the way through (I want and plan to).  The new TV series has me wanting to watch it as it looks good from what I've seen and read.

I thought this looks good - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/anomalisa/

I have liked a lot of Charlie Kaufman's movies, which always deal with existential questions and usually some form of depression or non 'normalcy'.

I liked Adaptation, Being John Malkovich, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but by far, my favorite of his films so far, is Synecdoche, New York

Hi! Cake isnt perfect but I "enjoyed" it,  There are  faults in it. And I thought she acted well. I think its incorrect for people to identify it as a medical drama though. I'd be interested to see what you think. My husband is a little disconcerted by what he calls my morbid interests. I guess thats normal. Thankfully he likes a lot of the films and books I do. No action films thank goodness. 

I liked Synercdoche a lot. Shall check out this other one of his, 

Topekak. I too have strange preferences or boundaries past which I cant go and I often cant make sense of them. For example i probably wouldn't be able to watch Hunt but I think would be able to watch spotlight. Im unsure about irreversible. I watch a lot of potentially triggering tele series and what I can and cant watch can change suddenly, 

Stand clear of the closing doors is definitively on my list. 

Edited by Fizzle

Im watching maron,right now and I love that show it is about a depressed guy that doesn,t want to get married have kids whines alot and is negative lol

Maron sounds funny.  I've seen and am somewhat familiar with his comedy.  One of my friends I've worked with at two companies now loves him and is always talking about him.

I may see if I can get the show.

Thanks.

Hi! Cake isnt perfect but I "enjoyed" it,  There are  faults in it. And I thought she acted well. I think its incorrect for people to identify it as a medical drama though. I'd be interested to see what you think. My husband is a little disconcerted by what he calls my morbid interests. I guess thats normal. Thankfully he likes a lot of the films and books I do. No action films thank goodness. 

I liked Synercdoche a lot. Shall check out this other one of his, 

Topekak. I too have strange preferences or boundaries past which I cant go and I often cant make sense of them. For example i probably wouldn't be able to watch Hunt but I think would be able to watch spotlight. Im unsure about irreversible. I watch a lot of potentially triggering tele series and what I can and cant watch can change suddenly, 

Stand clear of the closing doors is definitively on my list. 

I think I would enjoy Cake and am putting back on my list.

Stand Clear of the Closing Doors sounds very good too, from what I just read.  

I tend to like shows that depict different aspects of depression.  For one, they're just more interesting in many cases, and I think they probably feel more authentic to real life, and with the layers of a well-crafted drama, seem to add depth and meaning to something that too often I hold to be meaningless.  

What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams.  Deals with suicide and the afterlife.  One of my all time favorite movies even before I became outwardly suicidal.   

Michelle -

I have always liked What Dreams May Come, and it sounds like I had a similar experiences with it.  I watched it when I was growing up - I believe in high school.  I had never experienced depression then, but really liked the film and how engaging and beautiful it was.  One of Williams' most underrated dramatic performances probably too.

And I went back and watched it again a couple years ago, now after having experienced suicidal depression for years.  And I liked it even more.  It now seems a tragic coda to Williams' own life as well.

I think part of the reason we like these themes in film is that the common emotions and experiences connects us.  And by putting the pain in the context of something beautiful, particularly a narrative story, it attaches it to meaning.

Thanks for sharing this one.