How Are You Dealing With The Holiday Happiness/cheer?

steadynot

hey all. 

i went to my psych a few weeks ago and told him about how i was scared about all the holiday stuff. he said its normal for everyone to feel a little bummed during the holidays. 

but you know, with my depression, i feel all that stuff MORE. going outside and seeing all the decorations and the sales and the sense of both misery and happiness makes me want to curl up in the bed and die. i don't want to go outside and be around people and places that are more crowded than usual. like the happier people are...the sadder i am--because i can't feel like that either no matter how much i try. 

plus there's also Seasonal Affective Disorder...which spells out S-A-D which the powers that be thought was funny. 

and then there's new years and having resolutions blah blah blah. 

so folks- how are you going to deal with the holiday hell? please teach me your methods or just tell me about your feelings about the holidays. 

cheers- d. 

My ex left me a few days before Christmas last year. I spent last Christmas crying and impossibly drunk so I would sleep. I was violently sick from anxiety most days and I spent a lot of time on the phone to the Samaritans so I didn't self harm. I am dreading this Christmas. I am going to work as many hours as possible. My ex who has never contacted me again has a new girlfriend and I am all too conscious he will be spending it with her. I am racking my brain to think of things I can do to just block it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm dreading the holidays too. We get bombarded by commercials, adverts, people in public... It's almost nauseating . It's puts me in such a depressed mood... Even though I'm already battling depression, I've caught myself rolling my eyes when I see happy couples, etc. i just keep telling myself- I can't wait for the year to be over :/ I just watch news to distract me.

I don't like crowds or busy places at the best of times...l I guess what I don't like about the holidays is all the forced social events. I plan to use a variety of excuses to get out of as many as possible. 

I feel the same way. It seems like all the social events I been to in the past were a disaster. Plus I lost my dad in September, so I really don't want to go to any family functions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I look forward to them because I get to see my not crazy family members that I can talk to,all my aunts are teachers and i get along with my uncles,I do get upset though because like 50% of my family moved away to floridia.I can relate to them more my parents are very close minded compared to them.

Edited by scienceguy

Not so bad. The pressure to buy my ex something she would actually like for Christmas is gone. I seriously dreaded shopping for her. She had me return several things over the years and I finally began hating it.

I generally hate HAVING to buy stuff, so I don't. I'll get my daughter a gift card and that will be that. I also don't worry about Christmas cards anymore. If someone feels put out by the fact they didn't get a card from me, then our relationship is pretty tenuous apparently.

I'll probably be alone for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. No biggie. The cats and I will party it up big time.

I have always loved Christmas even when I was very depressed or two year ago when my parents just got divorced.. I am really looking forward to spending it with my family like always. To me that is just one of those magical days. However I can't stand New Years Eve, I always spend it half of the day crying for whatever reason.

What always helps me is to think of it as just any other day, to not make a big deal of it. Usually I just watch a movie and have a nice snack and it is over quicker then you would think.

Last year I was really struggling with it because I was horribly depressed.This year....I don`t know.Don`t get me wrong I do love Christmas and I love spending time with my family but sometimes everything is so hard and you just get sadder seeing everyone with their kids and spouses and you are alone.I do have my family and I do love them and appreciate them so much.It just makes me feel so lonely.Then I feel guilty for feeling bad because I have it better then some people.I guess what I`m saying that the holidays are a bit difficult for me but I do appreciate them and enjoy them.