Sign in to follow this  
Alohaknown

Guilt And Lexapro

Hey guys,

First time posting here and I wanted to get some insight. Ive been dealing with my first wave of depression since July 2015. I think it was due to smoking some MJ and heavy drinking. Every since that time ive been working to pull myself back together. During the main depressive phase my mind started pulling all old memories and guilty things that ive done in the past. It seems to have been surfacing so much and it keeps pulling me back down. I havent been officially diagnosed with OCD but i may have a bit of the pure-o. Im currently on 10mg of lexapro and sitting at about 9.5 weeks in. Could the meds still need more time or should i look at moving up in dosage? Will the increase possibly help the way I think about these old memories? Before july I was fine and never had issues rationalizing things but nowadays even the smallest things will guilt trip me. I really need your help and guidance folks.

Aloha,

AK

Aloha, Aloha!

I agree with each of Lauren's points (and not just because she's a wise woman around these parts). Your Lexapro should have kicked in by now alleviating your guilt/anxiety. My anxiety manifests itself as guilt so I think they're closely related. I'm on 20 mg of Lex now, up from 10 when I started in July. But even at 10 I had some noticeable relief within 3-4 weeks. Maybe you should ask your doc about upping your dose or trying something else. 

Keep checking in if it helps. :-)

I also agree.  Ask your doc if you can start taking 20mg Lexapro.

For Lexapro, 10mg or 20mg are both commonly prescribed doses.  Many people need to take the higher dose.

I had to increase from 10mg to 20mg, and I'm majorly better and happier at 20mg.

I also had a lot of guilt and obsessive thoughts, but they've virtually disappeared since I've been on 20mg Lexapro.

Guilt and obsessive thoughts are both symptoms of depression, so you can have obsessive thoughts without being diagnosed with an obsessive disorder, or being labeled a (capital letter) Obsessive!

By the way, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is mostly rituals and actions, not obsessive thoughts.