Hairline Is Making Me So Depressed.

forumdude

I can't do this anymore. I just found pictures that I took back in April and back then I thought I was practically bald. I just found them: http://bit.ly/20MUaBp I am so upset because that is literally nothing compared to what I look like now: only six months later. I think those photos were right before I started fin. I have no hope and am going to lose all my hair. What do I do? How can I stop this?? I don't know if I'm mentally unstable but I feel virtually bald now. I'm tired of worrying about this. I must have taken 4,000 pictures over the last 2 years of my hairline. http://imgur.com/a/ZezxB and http://imgur.com/a/MDhV0

Hey. Firstly, I think your hairline looks fab. I don't think your thinning. I think it's a misconception of your hair being a very dark brown, and you scalp very white.

That being said, a few things to help might be don't wear baseball caps.. They make your crown (top part) thin very quickly and early. 2, try a growth shampoo to help with your confidence, (lee Stafford does a great one) if you can see your hair growing quicker, you might feel a bit better in yourself xx

you are a beautiful young man!! dont let this get you down!!! i agree with pepsimax ... baseball caps are a negative and the shampoo will help... you might also try rogain...

Well y'all know the bottom two are the updated. The top link is what it looked like BEFORE. I wish I could edit it to explain that.

Edited by forumdude

I had hair loss in my younger days, I was very thin by 26-27. My son is the same way at 31. I felt like you in some ways, I could not live without my dark, thick, curly wild hair. But I could not do anything about it. Don't let it define you, no one is going to think less of you. And if in the off chance they do, well that is their problem, not yours. You look fine, most men have a bit of receding hairline as we get older, and I think your hair line is fine. 

Not the end of the world! And as others have said there are products now that I did not have available. 

If it bothers you so much it might ease ur mind to know there are hair treatments you can get. My brother in law recently had a hair transplant where they took hair follicles and planted them on the thinned out parts. He now has a full head of hair that grows naturally.

Edited by Elicia

I'm a 42 year old man who obsessed about hair loss when I was in my early 20's. I even got rogaine for a while. One day I just stopped it because I realized I was obsessing about it. The funny thing is that I still have a full head of hair although it has receded a bit. My point is that it is clear to me that you are obsessing. I had terrible problems with obsessive thinking before I went on Prozac. Afterwards they were cut down by 80%. But at the time it didn't matter what ANYONE told me because my thinking was so out of whack. I'm glad that my obsessive thinking is better than it was in my younger days. Meds have helped, but I have still have issues with depression and anxiety. I bet that I've literally wasted thousands and thousands of hours worrying about things that never ended up happening. But, my brain was out of whack and I couldn't control it. So I think you should try and ask yourself if your thinking makes sense? For me the answer was therapy and medication. The things I worried about now seem like a waste of time but back then they were like hot daggers cutting into me. Your feelings are real, you just have to decide if they make sense and if you have a pattern of your brain racing off on things you should consider treatment. It saved my life.

I think your hair looks great, I'm not really seeing a difference. but I can't tell you from experience that stress can make your hair fall out, not permanently. my hair falls all the time, one time in my late 20s I got really stressed and I actually had a bald spot on my head but u can't tell bc other hair covers it. I think that when you focus on something like your hair u psychologically magnify the problem you perceive . nonetheless, I think your hair looks full and nothing is wrong with it.

My hairline really started receding at the edges of my temple and I am only 29.  It bothers me but I just add it to the list of things I have to radically accept and move on.  I think it was caused by some of the meds I used to take, oh well.  Can't do anything about that.  If I can't do anything about something I don't like, I have to use radical acceptance, or else it will make me depressed and suffocate me.

Also if you were on accutane, hair loss is a side effect. I also took accutane, although I didn't suffer hair loss from it, I've read many people who have. I know accutane can stay in your system for a few years even after stopping it. The places it's thinned out a little may very well grow back in time.

Edited by Elicia

I think you look gorgeous. And when you are pulling your hair back, of course you will see your hairline more, but you don't walk around pulling you hair back all day. I think your hair looks really good to be honest, and even if it continues to recede, there are options, AND, you are beautiful person regardless of whether your hair was long, short, purple, whatever.   You have been blessed with beauty and please try not to feel so self conscious about your hairline, I doubt anyone you know is even remotely thinking about it. :hugs:

There's some really really great advice in this thread!- everyone here has contributed awesome positivity about this topic and top information that I agree with and think is true. ;) Lol, your hair is fine dude its really not bad at all, there are plenty of people with much worse hairlines including myself.   Its not really noticable, at all seriously.  Its natural for many men to thin as they get out of their 20's.  Also try not to mentally think it degrades your appearance - if your not worried about it and do not let it affect your self-esteem, that attitude will come out in your personality and mannerisms/attitude and others will pick up on it.   If your not at all concerned with it and keep a high self- esteem regardless - it won't matter to anyone you meet. Just smile and don't look down.  Like 90% of all communication is non-verbal.   It doesn't matter what people think of you, it only matters what you think of yourself. ;)  And surprisingly that is what people will think of you.

That said, what Elicia told us about the hair transplatation, is one of the few methods that works and provides a permanent fix for this problem as it progresses, I have been considering it as well through the 'Bosley' organization, one of the originators of the technique but it runs about 5 to 10K last I checked, with some risk of infection.  i have seriously considered it but haven't commited to getting it yet.  

Don't let this conundrum depress you, there are plenty of more serious things in life to worry about.

I can understand your anxiety over this issue hair is such a part of the societal beauty Norms the media and consumerism Rams down our throats a million times a day since birth. But honestly I couldn't tell any difference in your sets of photos!

Don't let our warped corporate dominated media fuel your feeling a of inadequacy. They intentionally want u to feel that way so u spend thousands of dollars in your lifetime on products that probably won't work anyway.

As a male there is possibility you will end up bald it's a hereditary link carried by your bio mother I believe so check out the men in her biological family -your uncles and grandfather etc and how their hair is. Also there's exceptions to every rule on that of course. At least youre a guy if u go bald - it can be a chic, masculine look for men!

Definitely having dark brown hair and fairer skin creates a contrast also your hair looks like it is very fine texture as opposed to coarse which can further highlight a white scalp peeking out. I am female and have dark very thick and long hair but my hair is also very fine texture so when I wear my hair up im constantly worried about white scalp showing. It's a normal thing and I sometimes might use dry shampoo in a dark shade to prevent it to create a bit of texture near the hair root at the scalp.

I haven't looked at the picture because this is really about how you feel about yourself. You are obviously worried about possible hair loss. Underneath that though is about accepting who you are.

If you are thinning you can try treatments and that's quite fine. Even if you can afford it do think about whether such treatment will make you happy or just mean you spend longer worrying about the treatment, whether it has worked and how long it will last. If you are taking that many photos just to look at this issue (rather than noticing a difference to your hair on old photos) then you may want to think about boosting your self esteem or self compassion. These are about boosting you self worth and accepting you now and as you change. Self compassion. (Google it to find the website about it) relates to accepting your emotions and that all emotions are valid.

Check you mothers grandfathers hair if he is bald then get on treatments I thought I was going bald at 19 I have no idea why I use to be ocd over my apperance,I took pills because I was so sure I was going bald even though I have a comletley full head of hair.my hair hasn,t moved since 19 and im almost 25 now I thought I would be completely bald by now but I have all my hair still even though my father was bald,they have new treatments being devloped so I wouldn,t worry to much because it cane be fixed,if your pictures at the bottom are older then the top ones,I would say you do have a little bit of recession I would check with a hair doctor first.

I lost the hair on top of my head when I was 19. It took a few months but it came out fast. Yeah, it bugged me at the time, especially since I had a pony tail going. That looked stupid so I cut it short.

Now? I shave my head daily. I boldly embrace my baldness!

http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/gallery/image/8635-bald-guy/

Edited by JD4010