Prozac Month 3 - Zero Motivation, Will It Get Better?

Anna2015

I'm almost 3 months on 10 mg. After about 1 week I started feeling great! Then around week 3 started getting depressed and unmotivated. I've stuck it out, but it's getting progressively worse. I'm not even motivated to eat now. I really want to give this medication a good college try, but wondering if I'm feeling bad this far into it, if it's just not for me. I've tried Zoloft (two months, also very unmotivated), lexapro (3 months, didn't do a damn thing), and Effexor (holy brain zaps and total inability to gracefully handle any quantity of alcohol, Batman!) Really wanted this to work! Anxiety is much better, but now suspecting that anxiety was at least a motivator. Anyone else have lack of motivation this late in the game? What did you do?

I've been going in every three months to monitor my adderal prescribed for ADD. We recently decided to throw some Prozac into the mix for generalized anxiety disorder and mild to moderate yet persistent depression. She started me low bc apparently people can experience anxiety from Prozac. My appnt is coming up soon. I'll address it then. Thanks for the reply!

• 2 months later...

i started this week ago and first 3 days felt amazing also. now i am suicidal and dont wanna live anymore

It sounds like you're feeling pretty awful, so I would suggest calling your doctor as soon as possible.

That said, in my experience, if you stick it out and have patience, you will feel better.

I literally started feeling better the day after I wrote my post. I went to my doctor about 2 weeks later, and shared my experience with her. She said had I come in sooner, she probably would have increased my dose. However, since I was feeling better, we left it at 10 mgs.

From the time I started the meds until I began to feel better, I was running about 3 times a week, doing yoga once a week, meditating about 20 mins a day most days of the week, and cut down on my drinking. My doctor said these things helped the medicine work. I also started a journaling practice in which I wrote down how I was feeling. Then I would reread what I wrote to identify distorted thinking, such as judging (myself and others), predicting horrible outcomes, and thinking I knew the thoughts and motivations of others. I would then rewrite the journal entry, replacing the distorted thoughts with more logical ones.

Of course when you're in the depths of depression, it's hard to do much of anything, so if there's only one thing you can do, I would suggest starting with either exercise or meditation. As you start to feel better, other things will naturally fall into place. Just be patient.

You will start to feel better, and you will start to develop skills to avoid future depression, or at least make it not so severe. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

I came to this post because I am now in my 3rd month of 20mg a day and am so tired it is affecting my work. I am also studying and have essays and coursework to do while working full time, and even with 2 deadlines approaching and 2 essays already past due I have no motivation for anything. I drag myself out of bed to go to work, get home and sit in bed knitting (my form of meditation) until I fall asleep. Even planning for my wedding, which I'm really excited for, is not giving me much joy. I plan to talk to my GP on my next day off (2 weeks time), if I can get an appointment that is. Not easy with my doctor, it's all book on day. So I thought I'd seek advice on here in the meantime... any ideas appreciated.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2015 at 1:27 PM, Anna2015 said:

I'm almost 3 months on 10 mg. After about 1 week I started feeling great! Then around week 3 started getting depressed and unmotivated. I've stuck it out, but it's getting progressively worse. I'm not even motivated to eat now. I really want to give this medication a good college try, but wondering if I'm feeling bad this far into it, if it's just not for me. I've tried Zoloft (two months, also very unmotivated), lexapro (3 months, didn't do a damn thing), and Effexor (holy brain zaps and total inability to gracefully handle any quantity of alcohol, Batman!) Really wanted this to work! Anxiety is much better, but now suspecting that anxiety was at least a motivator. Anyone else have lack of motivation this late in the game? What did you do?

Me!!!  Zero motivation here.  I want to go nowhere, do nothing, be nothing and just be a cat.  I'm so jealous of them.