Fear Of Time Passing

Kaniro

One of my major triggering issues I have that I'm not sure how to deal with is a major phobia of time passing.  If I even think about the future, whether it is a certain future or not, it creates intense panic.  I think about my mortality a lot, like what is going to happen when I die, and how weird my own existence even is.  I think about what will happen with my mom dies, which is a long ways off, but I can't stop thinking about it.  Very often I don't want to go to bed, because the next day will come. Time passing is inevitable, there's nothing I can do about it, I just have no idea how to deal with it.  Even if I have something to look forward to, I feel time slipping away from me at an alarming rate.  Does anyone else feel this way?  How do you deal with it?  It is probably one of the most debilitating parts of my anxiety.

I can relate to this Kaniro, I have it as well. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to deal with it yet. In my state, they observe Daylight Saving Time which makes it worse. For me it does, anyway. But I have constant anxiety over this, day and night.

Edited by mulberrypie

I'd say my fear is more about the recent past, than not knowing the future. When I look into the future, I see hopeless outcomes and it worries me to think about it.

But time is slipping away in the present is something under my control and a source of anxiety. I feel guilty and disappointed when I have nothing to show for the time I spent. An idea I created to keep those fears at bay at times is:

It's not about how much time you wasted that matters, it's about the things you did do.

Everybody wastes time. Nobody's perfect. Nobody talks about the time someone spent doing nothing.

Often I hear during sports games how the broadcasters talk about how this athlete is first one in and last one to leave, how nobody works harder, how he spends hours studying tape, etc. And I do believe and admire those who work hard to make the best of themselves, but I think they say it for the sake of rhetoric.

I find it helps to focus not on the time that slips away, but the accomplishments that hold some ground. Even tiny insignificant ones, just to remind myself all this time I thought was lost actually produced something, anything. I kept a journal for a while to jot down things I did during the day. I talked more about that in another post.

Thank you, everyone.  Its really comforting to know I'm not alone in this.  I remember when I was younger, I didn't at all have this problem.  Why now do I fear just living life?  I just don't understand it.

And thank you for your advice, 4amRedLight.  I'm trying to change my focus of how I think about time and accomplishments.

Life is so stupid hard :/

I'm afraid of time too! In a sense that time is passing, i'm depressed, i can't enjoy moments i can only respect they are hurting me. Time passes ..getting older ...i'm so afraid of every birthday...most anxious time of the year together with the New Year. I don't have reason to celebrate...dreadful, hated occasions...somewhat connected with time.