Anxiety Or Panic Attacks During Sleep

Ingey1968

Hi Ingey,

I think I have, although perhaps they are not technically "panic attacks."  I've "heard" that having panic attacks during sleep happens, although this is just hearsay and not evidence.  I could be wrong on both points.  I have definitely had nightmares and night terrors.  Sorry if any of these are happening to you!!!

Best to you!  - Epictetus

I have been wakened from sleep by panic attacks, the kind that occur without any kind of provocation. I have read that unprovoked panic attacks have something to do with blood levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide. Anyway, very scary. The last time I had one, I woke up dizzy and disoriented, sitting on the side of the bed wondering what was going on and if I should go to the er, and it took half an hour before I felt somewhat normal again.

I usually get my panic attacks right before I go to sleep. The major ones anyway. Perhaps it's because we're relaxed and can't focus on anything else other than what is going on in our heads? Also, I will wake up with them depending on what I'm dreaming about. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is this even possible? I suffer from dyspnea(shortness of breath) but the fast majority of the time its when i am in half sleep or wakes me up. Wondered if anyone has panic attacks during sleep or if its even possible

This used to happen to me until I found out I have asthma.  I would dream that someone was suffocating me and I would wake up gasping. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yes! I use to get them ALL the time when I was half asleep. It seemed like that's when the worst of the worst panic attacks came, so don't worry, you are not alone on that one. It always seemed really strange to me too that they came when I was hardly even conscious.

Edited by Elicia

• 2 weeks later...

I've only ever had it happen once and it was horrible, I woke up suddenly with a racing heart like i was running a marathon and I have health anxiety anyway so it was the worst thing, for about 2 months after that I had a racing heart constantly and it would cause me to panic and I eventually went on beta blockers to slow it down and I was ok until I had to come off them and then they came back but not as bad. I had CBT for it and I can control it good now if they happen. If it keeps happening you should tell someone and go see a doctor, its the worst thing to suffer in silence.

• 1 month later...

It happened to me once when I was a teenager. It was so terrible. I couldn't fully wake up at first so I was kind of paralyzed in fear for a few minutes. It took like a full week for me to be able to sleep peacefully because I was so scared it would happen again.