Sign in to follow this  
Stan Islavski

To Med, Or Not To Med?

Hi,

I am currently in the middle of an extremely bad bout of depression (I've also developed a debilitating case of anxiety). I haven't been on meds in over 10 years. But with the severity of this bout, I've lost any handle I've had on it. That said, I KNOW something needs to be done. And my doctor wants to put me back on medication. But I'm opposed to medication.

I have a few high-level reasons (and some biases) for disliking meds. But I don't know if this thinking is right or wrong considering the severity of my depression at this moment.

Has anyone here successfully managed a severe bout of depression without meds?

No, i cannot do without meds, i.e. sleeping pills and especially anti-anxiety meds.

I am not interested in the fact I am addicted...nor interested what my liver thinks about it. Cause i need to get up in the morning and have a shower.

I was unable to handle my severe depressions without medication.  I deliberated long and hard on the wisdom of my decision before taking medication, factoring in the fact that my objectivity could easily be compromised by the depression.  I was suicidal and so there was the possibility of my demise.  I weighed that against the possibility of adverse effects of medication affecting the quality of my life or its duration and decided to take the medications.  I am 60 now and comfortable with my decision.  This is not advice though

I have tried to read the works of scientists on both sides of the 'depression can and/or does involve brain illness' or that' depression cannot and/or does not involve brain illness' debate.  But as a layman I am not an authority and am unqualified to offer advice.  In addition, I fear that anything I say might do more harm than good.

It is often the case in life that one is forced to make a decision where absolute certainty and certitude are unavailable and the best course of action at the time is in controversy.  If there is progress in medicine in the near future [which is an unknown too, since history reveals that civilizations can enter dark ages] I expect that future people will have better tools available to combat depression.  I am currently of the opinion and it is just an opinion, that the best science links at least some cases of unipolar major depression to brain pathology and that the pathology is sometimes lessened or reversed by medication plus talk therapy.  Please note that I am using words like "some", "sometimes," "perhaps" and so on.

Psychiatry and neurology have made great strides and I am thankful to both,  but both are perhaps sciences which relatively speaking are still in their infancy.  People in the future may think that we are doing in the early part of the 21st century is akin to trying to fix the delicate mechanism of a Swiss watch with a sledge hammer. Or not.    All research is subject to limitations based on size of study, duration of study, objectivity of study and new discoveries.  While medications can be tested using "double blind" techniques, this is not possible with talk therapies, at least in so far as I am currently aware.  All groups debating the helpfulness of techniques have been accused of skewing data for economic purposes.  I am currently of the opinion that having tried to read the best writing by all sides that the medical side is more helpful in "some" cases.  I could be completely wrong!!!!

One thing good about life is that if one survives one's decisions that one can live another day to make an alternate decision so that in some cases at least, many decisions do not involve irreversible and catastrophic consequences.  I am not trying to be wishy-washy or a rock of jello here:  just trying to state my current opinion.  If there is anything . . . anything at all . . . that I wish to communicate to you today it is this:  I am so sorry that you have been stricken with depression and I hope that whatever you decide to do leads you to the best of all possible outcomes!!!!

Respectfully,  Epictetus

Edited by Epictetus

Most of my severe depressive episodes have been a pattern of me losing my s***. The doctor putting me on meds. Me taking them for all of a few months before ultimately deciding I hate prescription meds and not wanting them in my body and also for me.. And this is only for me I can't speak for others who they work for, they just don't work for me. I never feel any better no matter what they give me or how long I take them. Sure I can be more functional perhaps. I can stop myself crying in public occasionally for seemingly no reason. I have just been prescribed some new ones after trying Mirtazapine which also didn't work and was prescribed partly because of my insomnia. I just gave up on them. They now want me to try Venlafaxine and ive just said no. Every single time I have dug myself out of depression ive done it myself because for me the pills are symptom calmers but they don't cure a single thing. I use food to regulate my depression as suggested above me. Im realising im ..sensitive, so I cut out coffee, alcohol, sugar, cows milk and soda. I don't know how long I can keep it up or whether I feel a placebo affect of self control but i can say for me I have done it before and I will do it again. Holistic things are helping, meditation and yoga. More exercise the better I dance every day like an ***** in my room because anxiety will take hold if i don't exhaust my body. Im really no expert at all ive been battling depression on and off for 20 years but I am still sure I can beat it with better knowledge of myself and taking back control of my own mind for me is .. Well I still feel crap. But I felt crap anyway- least I don't have to pay a pharmacist for that privilege now. I hope you find what works for you! x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk