Parnate, The Maoi Route For Anhedonia?

jaiho

Has anyone been on this, or considered it? I'm going on advice by a popular pdoc, i am trying 40mg Parnate + Nortriptyline 75mg.

Here's something interesting about these medicines,

Parnate increases dopamine in the vital areas linked to Anhedonia, the limbic & the nucleus accumbens.

Nortriptyline increases dopamine in the PFC from its potent 5HT2C antagonism, and also, counters the requirement for the tyramine diet of Parnate due to its NRI properties.

Will keep you guys updated on how it goes.

Parnate is pretty scary, but the addition of Nortriptyline sounds interesting. I'm thinking of just trying Nortriptyline first.

There is also Emsam, another MAOI which has proven to be effective on anhedonia. Which doesn't require dietry restrictions at doses below 7 mg.

Edited by J04KlM

Thanks for these interesting ideas.  Please keep us updated, jaiho.

I'm taking moclobemide (I'm in Canada so it's available here), a reversible MAOI - no dietary restrictions until the dosage is over 600 mg.  I'm at 600 now & do eat tyramine foods but have not had problems.  I think I'll see if it's supposed to be good for anhedonia.  It's supposed to be helpful for anxiety & I don't really think it is.

Parnate is pretty scary, but the addition of Nortriptyline sounds interesting. I'm thinking of just trying Nortriptyline first.

There is also Emsam, another MAOI which has proven to be effective on anhedonia. Which doesn't require dietry restrictions at doses below 7 mg.

Thats what my pdoc suggests, using Nortriptyline as a "bridging" medicine.

He combines it with SSRIs, and when the depression isn't in remission from the SSRI + TCA combination, he stops the SSRI, maintains the Nortriptyline, and then combines it with the Parnate.

I don't worry about the diet at all due to the Nortriptyline, and an NRI like reboxetine works too.

The only thing i have to worry about is interactions with anesthetics if i ever need surgery, or if i'm in an accident, in which case i'll wear a necklace for medic warning.

This combination, according to the literature, is the most efficient for refractory depression / Anhedonia, which are one in the same. 

The great thing about Parnate, which surprised myself, is how clean it feels.

I read the reports on it from itstrevor, on this forum and was expecting nasty business. Parnate feels even more clean than SSRIs to me. I don't feel like im on meds at all, its great.

Looking forward to whats to come, as at least 70% of people respond to Parnate.

Edited by jaiho

Jaiho I live in the UK but my father is from New Zealand so I think I can apply for a NZ passport. I'm wondering if the combo you speak of is available in NZ or would I need to come to Australia? Look forward to your response. Many thanks.

Done a bit of research and it appears superficially that both meds are available in the UK. I can't believe my luck. I just need to go to the psychiatrist and move on with my agenda. Thanks Jaiho!!! Hopefully something good comes out of this. :-)