Sign in to follow this  
Epictetus

Things People Have Said To You That Have Helped You . . .

Look for "rescue factors"

Interesting, but what are "rescue factors" if I may ask? Does it just mean to search for a reasonable/plausible way out of one's current troubles, or is it something more technical than that?

In reply to Sabishikunaru...

My understanding [and I am far, far far from being an expert!] is that rescue factors includes physical and psychological solutions to situations that seem hopeless.

-- Often one is confronted with a problem for which there is but one solution, an awful solution.  Sometimes [?] it is possible to find an alternative.  Sometimes there are two awful alternatives and a third solution can be found:  For example:  "One MUST do x or y and one discovers the possibility of doing z."

-- A so-called famous rescue factor proposed in CBT is the disappear meditation.  "Imagine one is kidnapped and marooned on a desert island.  Before this, one was bogged down with the various demands and expectations of countless people.  Suddenly one is no longer around.  What will happen?  Will the world just end?  Or will people someone get on without you because you suddenly vanished?  The demands and expectations of others will still be there.  But you are no longer there to meet or fulfill them.  Those needs will be met by others or not.  But life will go on.  People will find alternatives and substitutes.  "Supposedly" this meditation is designed to help a person see that not all matters are matters of life and death and that "sometimes" it is possible to attach a stressful "life or death importance" to matters which are not really life of death.  This might [?] be an example of a psychological rescue factor.  The meditation is not designed to encourage hard-heartedness though.  Its focus is on unrealistic expectations and demands. 

--A physical rescue factor might be finding a physical alternative to something.  For example, "I" must do this might sometimes only mean "someone" must do it.  For example.  "You must take me to the airport."  Actually, you want or need to go to the airport and you or someone else must take you:  a friend, a relative, a taxicab.

--A rescue factor could be just looking at a problem in a new way.  Instead of "This is a problem,"  "why isn't this a problem?"  For example, I have an incurable disease, but I still have my eyesight and hearing, can still appreciate nature and beauty and music, have both hands and feet, am not starving to death."  Stuff like that. 

That is my very shallow and very imperfect understanding of what "rescue factors"  are.  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. 

Edited by Epictetus

Ah ha, so it seems I wasn't far off in my guess. Can you suggest any resources for further information about this? Who coined that terminology and are there specific strategies for expanding people's perception of available options? In my case it's more a matter of prioritization and organization that make it hard for me to figure out if an alternative is realistic, but I'm sure I could benefit from any established structures in place for helping people explore their options. In fact that's a kind of support I've wished I could have for a while now).

Edited by sabishikunaru