Keeping The Inner Belief Strong

ConstantWill

Hi there,

I thought I'd post here as well as I've recently joined and I'm looking to build a network of support I suppose. 

Either way, I'm 23 years old and recently finished school. After 5 years of living on my own and suddenly coming home with no direction or anything, I went into a deep depression in July. Since then it's been a hard battle. Though I have had some good times at least and have been on a quite interesting journey. 

I want to add that I haven't taken any prescription drugs yet. I really don't want to because of the commitment and fear that I'll be on them forever and i'll only end up being "just ok." I want to believe that I can return to a full normal life. I have taken certain supplements that have greatly helped though. Recently I've also developed some anxiety features and fear of how long this will last and if it will ever end. 

So I'm joining here and hoping to meet with people that have some positive things to say about their experience! I don't want to give in to the negative thoughts that this will last forever because I really don't think that's true. 

Anyway. I hope you're all keeping up today!

Well hello and welcome first off..

I know how you feel I was on my own since I was 18 as well and now that I am 27 I had to move back home because me and my ex separated so I know how u feel..

As soon as you get 20 post you can start to use the livechat feature... It has been saving grace for Me.. If you ever need to talk feel free to message me

Hi there!  I hope that you will feel supported here, I am new as well. :)  I would recommend taking a look at this book called The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook if you are experiencing some anxiety, as there are some really great coping skills outlined in there that I have found to be very helpful over the years.  I can completely understand your hesitation to take prescription medications, I had the same fears and still am often reluctant to take medications.  I started taking medication (Prozac and Wellbutrin) when I was in college and after a few years of being very stable I went off the medication and did well for several years.  I then fell into another depression and decided to go on medication again (Citalopram this time) to help me to pull myself out, along with support from my friends and family, and a counselor at that time.  I have since been doing very well and was able to cut the dose in half, and will probably discontinue in the Spring if my doctor agrees.  Medication helps me get through the worst times and once I've had a good period of stability my doctor helps me to get off the medication safely, so it is definitely possible!  However, if you are looking for more natural remedies, taking Vitamin D helps in the winter time especially with the lack of sunshine.  If you have access to counseling, I did find it helpful once I found a good fit for me.  I hope that you find the support that you are looking for here, you are not alone!

Welcome. :) I think it's very smart of you to avoid medication if at all possible. I took it, and I had bad reactions to several of them, including my original depression worsening. Some people react differently than others, so at the very least, it's good to thoroughly research antidepressants (or any other psych meds) before just popping a pill. Remember that our brains are enormously complex wonders of nature that science does not fully understand. Not even close. Plus, your depression could have a variety of sources; it won't necessarily have one cure. Vitamin B-complex helped me a lot, and there are many things out there that some people swear by, like St. John's Wort, Sam-E, etc. There's also exercise, group support, journaling, yoga, meditation, and loads of other things. I would exhaust every other option before turning to drugs.

I hope you find lots of support here, too. I only found this place recently, but it's been a real godsend for me.

It's great to know there are others out there with similar looks into things. Thanks for the message sairyss, jesslynn and frozen. I've worked with the natural supplements and they have helped in certain ways I think. When this first started I was depressed but also had very low body energy. I took supplements for a while and my energy came back but the depression stayed. I do have good moments where Im more or less ok and I'd like to think that with time and patience that It will pass. However, yes, If push comes to shove I will try medications and see if they do make a difference.

And I'm currently trying Sam-E, frozen! Hopefully itll help. 

Thanks!

It's great to know there are others out there with similar looks into things. Thanks for the message sairyss, jesslynn and frozen. I've worked with the natural supplements and they have helped in certain ways I think. When this first started I was depressed but also had very low body energy. I took supplements for a while and my energy came back but the depression stayed. I do have good moments where Im more or less ok and I'd like to think that with time and patience that It will pass. However, yes, If push comes to shove I will try medications and see if they do make a difference.

And I'm currently trying Sam-E, frozen! Hopefully itll help. 

Thanks!

anytime my friend!

I am sorry you have found yourself here but it is a great place to find support and talk to people who get what you are feeling.  There are a lot of helpful kind people here.  So speak up and ask lots of questions.  We all want to feel better but simply addressing the feeling only may not help you develop a strategy to over come your depression.  To do that it can be helpful to learn how to be mindful.  The fact that you state that you do not want to give into negative thoughts says to me that there may be a cognitive component to your depression and as such mindfulness may be of help to you.  Mindfulness is the act of paying attention to your mood and feelings, noticing when you get triggered into feeling bad, paying attention to what the feelings and thoughts are, stopping yourself from negative defeating talk, and flipping the script to be more supportive and empowering towards yourself.  This will initially help you fall less deeply into your depression and with a lot of practice you may eventually beat your depression. You may never be totally free from feeling bad, you can't escape that being human, but we don't have to make ourselves feel worse by adding to the negativity.  So maybe take some time to reflect on the idea of not just trying to feel physically better but take steps to try and think mentally better as well because meds may only mask the problem.  To fix it we sometimes have to fix our the thoughts that defeat us before we have a chance to even start.  So do some research on mindfulness or find some books that speak to you.  I am currently reading a couple of them by Brene Brown, Daring Greatly and Rising Strong but there are many out there to choose from.  Ideally the goal is to take your life back not just feel better and a great place to do that is by starting to challenge your thoughts especially the ones that do not serve your better good.  Take care and best of luck with your recovery journey.  

Edited by Michelle38