Just Had My First Therapist Appointment

Rainbow Lightning

He seemed like he could help but not really alot happened. I also have a question, does it really take 4-6 months to see a psychiatrist for meds? He said that's how long it gets into to see one which seemed a little odd. Told me I should see my GP about them in the meantime. Not sure if I'm going back yet but I did feel comfortable there which is a plus, just don't want to get bogged down with bills since I'm unemployed right now.

Hm...well, I suppose it depends on where you live and how many providers are in your area. If you are in or near a large city, you shouldn't have to wait that long to get in and see somebody. If, though, you are in a more rural area or small city, there may be limited resources and fewer doctors available so it might take longer to get an appointment.

It *is* good that you felt comfortable with your new therapist. It takes awhile to build rapport and to begin getting at the real issues when you're in therapy, so I wouldn't be too concerned that it felt like nothing much happened during your visit.  

I don't think my city is that small, population is over 50,000. I guess there really isn't that many doctors or something. I'm iffy on just getting meds from a regular doctor because I know the kinds of meds they prescribe for this kind of can cause much bigger problems if not administered properly, and the last thing I need is to get worse. My life is in shambles enough as is right now.

I don't ever recall having to wait that long to see a Pdoc, but I'm also nearby a large city. I can tell you, though, that my first scripts for anxiety and depression came from my primary care doc. Anxiety first, got Ativan, with the caution that if this did the trick but felt that I needed it longer term, I should transition to anti-depressants. I then went through several different meds (Zoloft, Paxil, Wellbutrin, etc.) through my regular doc before I finally made an appt. with a psych doc. I would never minimize the value of having a doc that works exclusively with these meds do the prescribing, especially when the issues are complex and maybe beyond anxiety and general depression, but you can certainly get some rx relief at least in the interim from your regular doc.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into that. I actually don't have a GP right now so I'll have to get one, hopefully I'll luck out on that the way I did with my therapist. I Had my second session today and it went well I thought, even pointed out that he noticed I was alot more relaxed than the last time. The first time is always a little nerve racking. It's definitely been helpful so far.

could u call back and see if they can do anything or refer you to a doctor that can see u sooner. or go to a clinic that does walk ins for mental health services and u could probably get meds the same day. that's what I did, got my meds, scheduled an appointment with a psych , got enrolled in group life skills workshop.. things that wouldn't happen at a regular doctor's office.