Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

Donate Now   11/12/2017

Depression Forums has no real advertising help and no corporate sponsors. We depend on the support from our readers and especially our members. Your Donations would help DF to continue to stay on the internet and is greatly appreciated. Give the gift that keeps on giving. Donate Now  
Sign in to follow this  
Slashy1

It's Tough To Get Out Of Bed Now.

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post  

Advertisement

I really don't know where to post this. But I lost my job in August, I figured it was a blessing in disguise because the job I was at wasn't satisfying at all. Fast forward to October I still haven't found a job and only been on 2 interviews since my last job. It's defeating, i've been slowly every week sending in less and less job applications, this week I didn't send any. I'm 27 and i'm forced to move back into my aunt and moms house cause bills are starting to pile up now. I live in the attic now instead of the nice apartment I was at, it's so hard to get out of bed the last couple of weeks. I've been staying up all night now and waking up in the afternoons. I have no strength to pick myself up and do something productive, my depression has been the worse it's ever been. 

I want to go out and interact with people cause I feel so lonely now, but I don't have the strength and I feel to embarrassed to tell people i'm unemployed and live with my mom and aunt. I feel like a hermit imprisoned and stuck in the attic. I worked my tail off to get a good education a Masters' degree and for what? To be struggling not be able to make it on my own? 

Edited by Slashy1

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

Hello, Slashy1.

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time finding a job.  I'm not sure if you're from the US, but the economy is really awful here.

You shouldn't feel ashamed for living with your family.  It is more practical to do this so you can all contribute to the household & help each other out. 

Are you receiving any kind of therapy or telling anybody about your depression? Maybe you should also consider doing some kind of freelance work until you can find employment. 

I hope that you find a solution soon!

Posted · Report post  

Sorry to hear, Slashy1.

Just a couple of thoughts - things I learned when I was laid off a couple of years ago...

75% of all jobs are obtained through networking.  Assuming you're still in the same town, can you reach out to coworkers, vendors, or clients at your old company to see if they can provide any leads?

Also, are you using online tools to search for a job, too?  LinkedIn, Twitter, FaceBook?  And many companies have career opportunities on their websites.  What about a temporary firm?  A lot of times, those jobs can turn into permanent ones/careers.

In the meantime, you've got to do what you can to get yourself up and out periodically, otherwise when you DO start interviewing, it'll be all the more stressful for you.  Keep yourself occupied.  Pursue a hobby or do some volunteering.

BTW, "I worked my tail off to get a good education and a Master's Degree for what?  To be struggling not be able to make it on my own?"  Everybody struggles at one time or another.  EVERYBODY.  This setback is only temporary - struggling at 27 may mean prospering at 28.  And 38.  And 78.  Hang in there - you've got a Master's and you DID hold down a job.  You're OK.

And I agree with Jules19 - maybe a little therapy will help you sort things out.

Take care - this, too, shall pass.

Posted · Report post  

I’m sorry you are having a difficult time right now. I just said a prayer that God will show you the right place to work. How about seeking a therapist’s help regarding your depression? 

Posted · Report post  

a lot of good advice here. have u considered bankruptcy? it'll give u a fresh start, not sure how much debt u have but it'll give u relief. therapy and meds is a good idea especially now that u have time to focus on yourself.