Sign in to follow this  
Yeam93

How Do I Ask My Dr To Prescribe Wellbutrin?

I take Zoloft (100), Atomoxetine (80) and Risperidone (0.5) and was diagnosed with Severe Depression, Anxiety and ADHD. I'm about 15 pounds overweight, so I am really really scared of taking medication because of weight gaining side effects. I might not be obese, but I'm very short so not only do I look fat, it affects my confidence and health. Especially since both of my uncles on both sides have Diabetes, and I have Pre-Diabetes! I also have back pain, sometimes, because of my weight (Dr said so.) So I need to lose weight, not just because I want to look thinner, but because I don't want to be injecting Insulin all my life and I don't want to be one of those "I can't lift this, I have backache" people! I don't want to sound like a girl who's trying to get her Dr to write her something that's going to be acting like a Diet Pill...

I'm mainly looking at Wellbutrin because it seems to do what I hoped my meds would do: Give me energy, make me do stuff, make me get off my ass, and help with the weight loss.

A medication cannot actually make you do anything and does not have the same effects for everyone. Wellbutrin is a med known for giving more energy though as you said. How are you doing otherwise? Are you otherwise doing well or are you still having other symptoms? Your doctor will probably want a reason to prescribe it, and would take into consideration your other diagnoses as well. Wellbutrin can cause worse anxiety, and I'm not sure of its effects with ADHD. Your doctor would take these things into consideration though. It does sound like you are still having low energy though if nothing else? You could just mention that and then mention that you've heard Wellbutrin is known for increasing energy and was wondering if it might be an appropriate med for you. That might be a good gateway in.

Edited by Charmingly

Doctors will be cautious about prescribing wellbutrin especially when you ask for it specifically. Wellbutrin has high abuse potential, the easy way to get it would be to mention your weight gain with other antidepressants and hope your psychiatrist mentions Wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin does not have a high abuse potential, unless you are living in a correctional facility, or you have a history of abusing any and every medication that comes your way. Wellbutrin will be a bit of a letdown if you expect it to give you loads of energy, lose weight, or run around the house doing chores and stuff. It will do these things, yes, but your mileage may vary. It is sometimes prescribed for ADHD.

In my experience, Wellbutrin does give you energy in the sense that you feel a little less depressed, a little more motivated (rather than spending your day contemplating your own death), and it does seem to curb appetite in some people. I personally take 300 mg XL and have had no change in appetite. I had slight insomnia initially but 3 mg melatonin knocked me out. I also have Remeron or trazodone to knock me out as well.

So, long story short, if your doctor refuses to prescribe you Wellbutrin, it's probably for a psychiatric reason, such as the risk of exacerbating other comorbidities, and has nothing to do with any sort of inherent "abuse" potential. The only "high" from Wellbutrin is called a seizure, or an overdose. 

After (truthfully) complaining to my family doctor about having a LOT of headaches, anxiety, and some mild depression due to continuous negative thoughts about some things that happened to me in life, he was more than willing to write the prescription on his own.. I didn't suggest wellbutrin myself, but instead, my doctor just went ahead and wrote the script for it according to his own judgement..

As of now, I have been on wellbutrin SR 150MG twice a day for 11 - 12 days, and it is helping me a lot so far..

Edited by dw762