The "how Do You Feel Right Now?" Thread 2

freckledface

Shoot --- so I just realized that the person I gave my work to for today and tomorrow has not done it yet... this is a Thanksgiving Day sales promotion... what do I do? Do I go against my own wishes and just do the work myself when I made a big stink about not working on the Holiday?

Phew --- just double checked and the work was done.. it's just not live in the search engines yet...

So my boyfriend's daughter is texting me a lot with emoticons and wants to do a Facetime call with me --- I don't know if I'm ready to do this yet --- he and I are still sort of shaky, we have issues to work out, and I just don't know if we're completely right for each other. I just don't know right now. I feel like dragging my heels.

Edited by havehope

I'm remembering a nasty Thanksgiving from when I was in my early 20s.

I was living with someone and we went to a friend's apartment and we brought our laundry with us because...I don't remember but it was probably cheaper than trying to take it to a laundromat. Or it was more convenient.

Anyway, while everyone was up in the apartment drinking and eating appetizers, or waiting for everyone else to come, I was down in the laundry room, doing laundry. I volunteered.

And I brought food--secret bingeing food- with me. And one reason I volunteered for that laundry job was so that I could binge. In secret. And then even though I was stuffed, I ate a full Thanksgiving meal with these friends...There were other emotions involved...about why we had to bring our laundry and do them on that particular day, there at the apartment building. What a difficult day to get through. No wonder I did my secret binge-eating.

That was so long ago, and for that I am thankful.

I am thankful for everyone here and hoping that those of us with family commitments can survive them. My family is so tiny and we have only ourselves here. We are eating dinner with our friends later on. No football games. Some political talk. Wedding talk. My friend's daughter is getting married soon. She & her fiancé will be there. My son will be there. He'll be checking his phone a lot.

For all of this, and for surviving that awful binge-eating nearly 40 years ago, I am thankful.

Thank you!

Feel more miserable than I ever have; like I'm reaching the end of my rope.

Just realized the holidays are in full force. All I see are masses of happy couples/families which destroys what's left of my broken heart. Also occurred to me that I believe I am being punished, perhaps karma, for leaving someone that abused me. This means never being able to have another partner.

I've already killed everyone's happiness today because of my depression. Yep, I ruined he holidays like many other things . So, I took it upon myself to take a sleeping pill so I will lay somewhere quietly and sleep the whole day. That way, I won't be a burden to everyone.

Feel more miserable than I ever have; like I'm reaching the end of my rope.

Just realized the holidays are in full force. All I see are masses of happy couples/families which destroys what's left of my broken heart. Also occurred to me that I believe I am being punished, perhaps karma, for leaving someone that abused me. This means never being able to have another partner.

I've already killed everyone's happiness today because of my depression. Yep, I ruined he holidays like many other things . So, I took it upon myself to take a sleeping pill so I will lay somewhere quietly and sleep the whole day. That way, I won't be a burden to everyone.

Oh honey..... please don't believe these false things that your mind and/or emotions are telling you right now. For one, good for you & congrats for leaving an abusive relationship!!!! That takes incredible personal strength, courage and self-respect! You are not being punished... even if your heart is broken right now which is understandable, it will heal in time, this state is temporary, you will get past it, and you can find love again! A much better love at that, one you deserve, full of respect, honor, trust and kindness. No one deserves to be abused, so plese don't believe for a second that you are being punished.... you have done the right thing my dear.

As for the rest, please don't believe these things either.. people who truly care about you will understand that you are in a down state right now. That's what true caring is about. I hope people close to you can support you through the ending of an abusive relationship... if they are not seeming to understand, enlighten them when you can about what you've gone through.

I do hope when you awaken that you will give yourself much greater compassion & understanding for what you're going through.. be kind to yourself.. someone else already beat you up psychologically, so please don't do the same to yourself. It only hurts you more.. give yourself a big loving dose of kindness.

Big hugs!! :hugs::icon12:

Thanks for your encouraging words. It is appreciated when others offer support.

I've actually been divorced for years now and tried dating for about 2.5 years. I gave up completely about a month ago. All I could find were more abusive men, those who wanted to use me, and the good guys wanted someone extremely attractive/outgoing with an enriched, adventurous life. I'm the epitome of the girl next door so it's always an instant rejection.

Anyway, these are the specifics that led to this point. And sometimes I too just need a hug so thank you for your above emoticon.

wanted someone extremely attractive/outgoing with an enriched, adventurous life.

This is why I wouldn't bother dating, even if I had the courage and social skills to do it. I have no ambition to do things like that. A woman who wants a man my age typically wants a guy with the kind of structure and extroverted-ness I don't have and don't want; kids, a career, someone who's always up and out and doing things. I don't want any of those things. I want to do enough to support having this house and nothing more job-wise so I have as much free time as possible to hang out at home, do childish things, not go out to do much other than simple things like go for a drive. All that is fine if you're a teenager I guess, but not someone my age.

All that with my crippling anxiety about intimacy and affection and all those things I want but can't have make me feel horrible, lonely, and hopeless, which is 'how I feel right now'.

wanted someone extremely attractive/outgoing with an enriched, adventurous life.

This is why I wouldn't bother dating, even if I had the courage and social skills to do it. I have no ambition to do things like that. A woman who wants a man my age typically wants a guy with the kind of structure and extroverted-ness I don't have and don't want; kids, a career, someone who's always up and out and doing things. I don't want any of those things. I want to do enough to support having this house and nothing more job-wise so I have as much free time as possible to hang out at home, do childish things, not go out to do much other than simple things like go for a drive. All that is fine if you're a teenager I guess, but not someone my age.

All that with my crippling anxiety about intimacy and affection and all those things I want but can't have make me feel horrible, lonely, and hopeless, which is 'how I feel right now'.

There is nothing wrong with a simple life.  I've never had had lofty aspirations,  but felt like something was wrong with me.  Don't feel that way anymore.  Like you, I only want to be able to have security in shelter, above all.  It is hard to be alone, but might as well do the fun things if you want to, who's to judge if they are childish? 

Just to let you know there are other people out there like that, probably more than you think.  I'm a single woman and I'm not interested in a man who is always up and out and doing things.  I'm not really searching for anyone, but when I do socialize with men, I am more content with someone who just likes to do simple things like go for a drive, walk or a bike ride, and isn't expecting all kinds of frenetic activity.  

There is nothing wrong with a simple life.  I've never had had lofty aspirations,  but felt like something was wrong with me.  Don't feel that way anymore.  Like you, I only want to be able to have security in shelter, above all.  It is hard to be alone, but might as well do the fun things if you want to, who's to judge if they are childish? 

People tend to look at you as if you're a child if you're into your 30s and have as little ambition as I do. Is it because I'm a guy? I don't know. But not wanting to do more than play a video game or binge-watch Netflix or maybe go out to do really simple things is a death sentence for me when it comes to romantic interests. A lot of people seem to think that it's "fine" for me to be this way if I want, but they're not interested in me. Everyone seems to think that lots of people would be interested in someone like me.... just not them. Someone else. But 'someone else' always feels the same way. I'm un-dateable.

I can't stay positive being alone anymore. It seems like a lot of other people can. But I always come to find that they have periodic relationships and get tired of it or whatever and enjoy their solitude when they get it. They don't seem to have any perspective on how much life sucks when you literally never have any relationships or anyone to care about you. They may be tired of relationship drama or whatever all the time but don't realize that actually being completely alone for 10+ years is horrible and depressing. They still have people they can go get affection from when they get lonely and don't want to be alone anymore. I don't have that. I'm not trying to say I'm the only one or anything, but it's tough to find someone who is as solitary as I am but desperately craves affection that understands what I'm saying. I'm so petrified to approach anyone for friendship, much less more, but it's all I really want in life, and I'm too introverted to have it. I have everything else I need. I have my own house, a job, an income, a truck, toys around the house to entertain me. But I don't have the one thing that makes me sad all day every day that I just sit around obsessing about and being depressed about. 

So I just sit here and ramble about it online, I guess. Getting nowhere.

How do I feel right now?  Deflated and frustrated.

I broke a bone in my foot in April 2015, and it has not healed properly and I am left with (so far) a permanently painful foot and complications.  So I complained to the fracture clinic where I received my care, and this morning participated in a conference call with the head of surgery, the orthopedic surgeon who treated my foot, and some kind of patient complaints person.  Of course the treating surgeon just blew off all my complaints and denied any wrong-doing, although I believe he overlooked some problems with my foot and was negligent.

So, nothing was resolved; they just blew me off, and I'm stuck with a screwed-up foot.  So I spent most of the day in bed sleeping and listening to podcasts ( my favorite way to deal with distress).   

On the other hand I'm reading a really good book by Dorothy Rowe called  "Depression the way out your prison."  She makes some good points.

Just to let you know there are other people out there like that, probably more than you think.  I'm a single woman and I'm not interested in a man who is always up and out and doing things.  I'm not really searching for anyone, but when I do socialize with men, I am more content with someone who just likes to do simple things like go for a drive, walk or a bike ride, and isn't expecting all kinds of frenetic activity.  

I guess I feel like even in my 'simple' life, I don't have anything to offer anyone in general. Finding someone who wants to just hang around and play games and watch sci fi tv shows and listen to death metal (or who is okay with someone who does that).... impossible. I'm so strange that I just don't seem to have a "type" which isolates me even more than I do to myself. And I have no idea what to do about that. I can't even find another human being online with that set of interests, with my (lack of) ambition to "do something with my life". I don't know where to be when there's no place for me when it comes to romantic partners. And of course, my inability to approach people at all just makes the whole thing even more futile.

Edited by Shawn81

People tend to look at you as if you're a child if you're into your 30s and have as little ambition as I do. Is it because I'm a guy? I don't know. But not wanting to do more than play a video game or binge-watch Netflix or maybe go out to do really simple things is a death sentence for me when it comes to romantic interests. A lot of people seem to think that it's "fine" for me to be this way if I want, but they're not interested in me. Everyone seems to think that lots of people would be interested in someone like me.... just not them. Someone else. But 'someone else' always feels the same way. I'm un-dateable.

I can't stay positive being alone anymore. It seems like a lot of other people can. But I always come to find that they have periodic relationships and get tired of it or whatever and enjoy their solitude when they get it. They don't seem to have any perspective on how much life sucks when you literally never have any relationships or anyone to care about you. They may be tired of relationship drama or whatever all the time but don't realize that actually being completely alone for 10+ years is horrible and depressing. They still have people they can go get affection from when they get lonely and don't want to be alone anymore. I don't have that. I'm not trying to say I'm the only one or anything, but it's tough to find someone who is as solitary as I am but desperately craves affection that understands what I'm saying. I'm so petrified to approach anyone for friendship, much less more, but it's all I really want in life, and I'm too introverted to have it. I have everything else I need. I have my own house, a job, an income, a truck, toys around the house to entertain me. But I don't have the one thing that makes me sad all day every day that I just sit around obsessing about and being depressed about. 

I do know what you mean. I've been alone for many years.  It was devastating.  It was only until I saw your Robin Williams quote that my dim wit lit up.

I do know what you mean. I've been alone for many years.  It was devastating.  It was only until I saw your Robin Williams quote that my dim wit lit up.

Yeah I relate to that one a lot in my life. Most of my family has died off, a lot of them to depression related issues, and the few who are left are the type who really don't want anything to do with me because I'm pretty useless, but they'll still call or text or something at Christmas or whatever - not because they want to talk to me, but because they feel obligated to because we're "family", even though we literally never talk to each other. So it's really awkward. I hate that feeling. The only thing worse than them not wanting to talk to me at all is them talking to me when they don't want to. I hate that. They don't want any contact with me but they feel like they have to. So that quote hits hard.

I guess I feel like even in my 'simple' life, I don't have anything to offer anyone in general. Finding someone who wants to just hang around and play games and watch sci fi tv shows and listen to death metal (or who is okay with someone who does that).... impossible. I'm so strange that I just don't seem to have a "type" which isolates me even more than I do to myself. And I have no idea what to do about that. I can't even find another human being online with that set of interests, with my (lack of) ambition to "do something with my life". I don't know where to be when there's no place for me when it comes to romantic partners. And of course, my inability to approach people at all just makes the whole thing even more futile.

Someone doesn't need to match all of your interests in your to be your friend or companion.  

Also, although what you may really want is a girlfriend, in the meanwhile it might be worthwhile to settle for companionship, acquaintances, or even just making conversation with strangers.  

But I think there's certainly a community of people who are into sci fi shows, trekkies etc.  

Maybe take a look at Meetup! groups in your area, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a scifi type meetup group.  Just people to hang around with based on a shared interest.

And I'm not trying to minimize your pain or suggest that there are easy solutions.  I'm not offering solutions so much as little steps that might make you feel temporarily better and less isolated.  Also, I've had boyfriends in the past and been just as miserable as I am alone (lol), if that makes any sense. 

It is hard to feel all alone and not understood or appreciated in a cold and indifferent universe, but believe me there are lots of people who are very alone, I am currently one of them.  So you are not alone in your aloneness.... And again I'm not trying to minimize the pain you are in.

In the bathroom at my uncles house and since everyone on my Moms side of the family is here I feel like I'm going to have an anxiety attack. Nobody wants me here so I feel like this whole "family" thing is just a waste.

I can relate.  Maybe congratulate yourself that you are at least forcing yourself to go to a family function.  Endure it, and then after it is over, pat yourself on the back for at least having shown up and done your duty.  I'll bet there is at least one person who is at least grateful that you showed up, even if just for appearances.  Stay strong -- it will soon be over.

Someone doesn't need to match all of your interests in your to be your friend or companion.  

Also, although what you may really want is a girlfriend, in the meanwhile it might be worthwhile to settle for companionship, acquaintances, or even just making conversation with strangers.  

But I think there's certainly a community of people who are into sci fi shows, trekkies etc.  

Maybe take a look at Meetup! groups in your area, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a scifi type meetup group.  Just people to hang around with based on a shared interest.

And I'm not trying to minimize your pain or suggest that there are easy solutions.  I'm not offering solutions so much as little steps that might make you feel temporarily better and less isolated.  Also, I've had boyfriends in the past and been just as miserable as I am alone (lol), if that makes any sense. 

It is hard to feel all alone and not understood or appreciated in a cold and indifferent universe, but believe me there are lots of people who are very alone, I am currently one of them.  So you are not alone in your aloneness.... And again I'm not trying to minimize the pain you are in.

I'm trying to build basic relationship online right now to get used to communicating with people again. It's not really going well. I hear from a couple people every few days or so. We're not that alike other than our "symptoms". I guess that's really as good as it gets online anyway. An occasional message.

I've had that meetup thing recommended a few times. I checked out the ones somewhat near me. Aside from the fact that I can't approach anyone in person, especially groups, I saw nothing remotely interesting. Hiking groups. Groups who go to clubs. Overly active, outgoing activities. Hopeless.

I'm fully and sadly aware that finding someone like me would be, by definition, impossible. We're in our houses never coming out to talk to anyone, and will never know the other even exists. 

I'm trying to build basic relationship online right now to get used to communicating with people again. It's not really going well. I hear from a couple people every few days or so. We're not that alike other than our "symptoms". I guess that's really as good as it gets online anyway. An occasional message.

I've had that meetup thing recommended a few times. I checked out the ones somewhat near me. Aside from the fact that I can't approach anyone in person, especially groups, I saw nothing remotely interesting. Hiking groups. Groups who go to clubs. Overly active, outgoing activities. Hopeless.

I'm fully and sadly aware that finding someone like me would be, by definition, impossible. We're in our houses never coming out to talk to anyone, and will never know the other even exists. 

"I'm fully and sadly aware that finding someone like me would be, by definition, impossible. We're in our houses never coming out to talk to anyone, and will never know the other even exists. "

I don't know if you meant to, but that's actually ironically funny.  

I'm kind of in the same boat, and I've looked at Meetup too and so far have not attended any.  There are usually some  that meet to eat, you know they dine out, a fairly innocuous activity, I mean, everyone eats.  Could that be something you could try?  Again, maybe for now put aside the ideal of finding someone who shares your interests, and just maybe spend some time with people doing a fairly laid-back activity that you can at least tolerate.  Also, there do seem to be a fair share of movie-going meet-up groups. That's not that much involvement or conversational committment.  I go back and forth between the  U.S. and Canada, and should be leaving for the U.S. soon.  Maybe when I am there we can help  encourage each other to go to one meet-up activity in our own respective areas, and follow-through and report back how it went.  

I don't know if you meant to, but that's actually ironically funny.  

I'm kind of in the same boat, and I've looked at Meetup too and so far have not attended any.  There are usually some  that meet to eat, you know they dine out, a fairly innocuous activity, I mean, everyone eats.  Could that be something you could try?  Again, maybe for now put aside the ideal of finding someone who shares your interests, and just maybe spend some time with people doing a fairly laid-back activity that you can at least tolerate.  Also, there do seem to be a fair share of movie-going meet-up groups. That's not that much involvement or conversational committment.  I go back and forth between the  U.S. and Canada, and should be leaving for the U.S. soon.  Maybe when I am there we can help  encourage each other to go to one meet-up activity in our own respective areas, and follow-through and report back how it went.  

Yeah it's kinda funny and depressing at the same time, because it's true.

None of the meetups here relate to me at all. Hiking and biking groups. Mah-jongg group? Senior singles groups. Moms group. Middle-aged couples group. alcohol. Kids groups. Spiritual enlightenment and other religious groups. Book clubs. More womens groups. A 'Pagan and Witches' meetup. Real estate meetup. This is depressing... I wouldn't know what to do with any of this.

A movie group sounds so awkward. What do you say to someone after meeting with them to not talk for an hour and a half? Maybe one on one, but I guess that's a 'date', but a group... talk about the movie I guess. I have no idea. I just can't do groups though. And I haven't been to the movies in probably five years. I'm actually starting feel worse because of how disconnected I am from what humans do.

back from my dysfunctional family I should have not gone aand just woke and gotten wasted in the morning I would have been much much happier,my brother actually throught something at me across the dinner tab;e my mother was screaming and cry about how no one gets along me and my ister were getting along and we were watching its allwasy sunny in phildelphia,then my brother said he hates it so I have to turn it my father camein and kept talking aboout how the bible saysobma is going to start a nuclear war and we all have to repent then my brother and dad started screaming at each then I started laughing and I said this is so ridculus its like a awful sitcom and he through a water bottle across the table at me,everyone left and my father kept talking about how its the end of the world and obama going to nuke everything,i left after that but atleast the food was good.

Thanks for your encouraging words. It is appreciated when others offer support.

I've actually been divorced for years now and tried dating for about 2.5 years. I gave up completely about a month ago. All I could find were more abusive men, those who wanted to use me, and the good guys wanted someone extremely attractive/outgoing with an enriched, adventurous life. I'm the epitome of the girl next door so it's always an instant rejection.

Anyway, these are the specifics that led to this point. And sometimes I too just need a hug so thank you for your above emoticon.

Yeah.. I can completely relate. For two years while living in Santa Fe all I found were abusive men,... one after the other. It was terrible and very discouraging. There are better men out there though.. and ones who don't just want you for looks. When you're ready again, you could try something like eharmony perhaps.... they filter out people that are bad matches and give you a long questionairre to find the right kinds of matches. I was looking in all the wrong places when I was dating back then myself. Anyways, just wanted to say that it is possible to find the kind of guy that you want.. but it can take some time..

Just got back from my family Thanksgiving dinner.. oh boy. I am sooo not like my other family members. They're so intellectual... I do not fit in at all and stand out like a sore thumb. After a while, I just stopped contributing to the conversations because I couldn't even contribute.. maybe a lighthearted joke or comment here or there, but I couldn't relate to much of what they were talking about. So I just sat there and listened. It made me feel very alone. My mom guilted me into joining them too, and now I kind of regret it and wish that I had gone with friends instead.  :verysad3: