Fear Of Being Fired.....

Hello,

I recently spoke with my GP about my worrying and negative thoughts. He prescribed 50mg Zoloft and referred me to a counselor. We meet once a week; 3rd meeting this Friday. 

Ever since I can remember, I have been afraid of losing my job. I have left 2 jobs because I was scared of getting fired. The kicker is I was nowhere close to being fired. I actually did a good job at both. I have been at my current career for roughly 1 year. My boss has nothing but good things to say about me, I am excelling and may have the opportunity for a promotion with time. I moved my family for this job and I don't want to leave it. I love it and I'm doing a good job. I feel like I'm going to get fired, I'm not succeeding and other people think negative about me. 

Does anyone else feel like this? Any advice or tips? So far my counselor has just gotten to know me. 

Thanks!

Could you explain your fear to your boss and ask for a monthly (weekly? quarterly?) report? Some places of employment do this quarterly as a rule. Do you think having it written down and signed by your boss would make you feel more at ease? I realize your fear is irrational, but perhaps hanging up proof (where you will see it constantly) might help to reinforce the fact you are well-liked and well-respected and minimize the fear.

Good luck with therapy!

-Deb

Welcome to DF, superrupe!  :hugs:    Good for you for seeing a doctor, finding a med, and seeing a therapist!  I think deboriole has a good idea about talking to your boss about performance reports.  Maybe seeing written proof that you are doing well will help you learn to believe in yourself.  Don't give up, it sounds like you're doing good at this job!  I hope you find the encouragement and support here on DF that you need and deserve.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. I grew up being criticized by my father, being told that I couldn't do anything right. Even when I'm told that I'm doing a good job, I still feel as if I'm not. I think that I am being told that I'm doing a good job because they don't want to hurt my feelings or that they're just being positive. I've had conflicts with co-workers recently and that's increased my fears. I think the root of mmy fears is that I don't feel I have many career opportunities so I need this job at least for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have dealt with this fear for all the years that i have worked (about 35 years now).  For me I think it all started in childhood when I was afraid my parents would divorce and there would be nobody to take care of me. I am so afraid of not having a job and not being able to take care of myself.  It also comes form my general lack of self-esteem and skills for getting another job.  I

Ask your counsellor or Google search some free cognitive behavioural therapy worksheets. I find going through a worksheet a few times a week really helps me rethink and reframe my anxious thoughts and fears and come back to a more realistic point of view.

I keep blank ones and go through them regularly because I have anxiety and paranoia aboht things that are very unlikely such as losing my job etc