Sign in to follow this  
Epictetus

Set Aside Time Each Day To Love Your Brain...

Consider trying this experiment to see if it helps . . .

Take some time each day to consciously think about your brain.  It weighs about 3 pounds and works 24/7 to keep you and the 30,000,000,000,000 or so cells in your body alive and healthy.  To accomplish these amazing feats requires it to perform thousands of strong, brave, clever, wise, beautiful and good things each and every day.  Of course, at around 3 pounds, no brain is perfect.  No human brain is all-powerful, all-knowing, all-perfect.  Every brain makes mistakes.  But rarely does the brain intentionally make a mistake. 

We can get into the habit of only being hard on our brain, loading it with unrealistic expectations, mentally beating it up when it falls down.  So set aside some time to consciously appreciate your brain, to consciously praise and honor it, consciously encourage and console it and show it compassion and understanding.  It can help sometimes to think of your brain as a beloved small child in your care, a child who tries hard to please you.  As an experiment try loving your brain consciously.  In some ways it is the best friend you will ever have in life.  It is always there for you.  Try to be good to it when it is hurting.

See if this helps with depression and anxiety.  Consider trying it just as an experiment.  If it works continue with it.  If it doesn't work move on to something else.  Sometimes it isn't easy to love one's brain.  But even taking small steps might help, even baby steps. 

Hello, Epictetus!  This sounds like a wonderful thing to try.  You make some great points about the brain.

I am not entirely sure how I'd go about this.  I wonder if you mean to take the time to consider all the brain does for us and then thank it for all its great work.  Is that what you mean?  Is there something else you might suggest?

Hi Epictetus

I am 100% in agreement with loving your Brain. Add to that loving yourself unconditionally regardless of what has happened in your life.

Loving, Caring and Being your own best friend allows you to be able to share this qualities with others as they are available in you!

So yes Love your Brain  and Yourself then share your love with the world.

Jim Bow

Edited by jimbow15

Our brains are truly remarkable and complex, and the fact that we wake up each morning and stay breathing all the time are evidence.  As well, as much as we bemoan our conditions here on DF, our brains truly help us make SOME sense of the world each day and guide us through many, many pitfalls.  We both consciously and unconsciously make zillions (that's a technical term, BTW) of decisions to our benefit all the time.  We are just seldom capable, being depressed, to understand and acknowledge that fact.

As I've said before several times, I LIKE ME.  I just wish other folks did, too.

Edited by RatBoy

The brain is a place where our mind lives. The brain has all these connections, a zillion and a half at least, so says RB, that click and clock, back and forth, dancing to and fro making the heart beat, your nose itch, your eyes blink without even a thought. Yet here I sit scratching my scalp thinking of ways to get out of bed, and feel refreshed on wake-up call each morning. Thinking why the mind didn't get out of bed, and put on the jeans laying next to me, before someone washed them, with my iPhone in the pocket. The mind blames the brain for being an unfuctioning, not-so-remarkable turd.  :coophaha:

Edited by DustyRoad