Sign in to follow this  
Browneyed_gal61

New Here---From Southern California

Hello,

I'm Browneyed_gal61 from Southern California. I have a history of depression and anxiety and was recently hospitalized (for the 2nd time in my life) for a medication adjustment. I am currently in a partial hospitalization program (PHP) and I am doing well.

I wanted to find something online to be able to have an additional way to talk with those people who understand what it is like to live with depression and anxiety. I look normal but have had several episodes throughout my life---something that a lot of people do not understand. Just because someone may look "normal" doesn't always mean "all is well." :no:......

Thank you for having me here and I hope to meet a few of you and participate.

Greetings and Salutations from Northern California.

Welcome to the forum. I’m also relatively new here myself. Took me awhile to get the courage to post for the first time. (six months)

I hope we can help you out anyway we can. Even if it’s just needing someone to talk to. We are here for each other.

I too have been suffering from depression and anxiety for quite awhile. I’ve also done my best to look well in society.

We do our best to “keep our happy face on” so no one knows what’s going on.

There seems to be a lot of stigma about being depressed these days, and having people saying “just get over it”.

I’ve always been anxious about sharing this with anyone, just keeping it inside me for so long.

It always thought it would be easier to hide it then deal with it, but it’s not.

And I do believe talking about it with others can really help. I hope you we can help you out.

Even now, just posting this response is difficult with my social anxiety. :(

I’m always worried about being judged or doing something wrong.

But I’ve told myself and others here that I’ve taken the first real step to happiness and  to step out of my shell and become a better person.

I hope you get to accomplish the same goals as well, and I hope things get better for you.

I want to wish you the best of luck in life. :)

Hi Browneyed_gal61, and welcome to DF.

I'm glad you found us. This is a very welcoming, and supportive community of people, who understand struggling with anxiety and depression.

You are not alone with us.

Please make yourself feel at home here, take a look around the site, and post wherever you feel comfortable.

Hello,

I'm Browneyed_gal61 from Southern California. I have a history of depression and anxiety and was recently hospitalized (for the 2nd time in my life) for a medication adjustment. I am currently in a partial hospitalization program (PHP) and I am doing well.

I wanted to find something online to be able to have an additional way to talk with those people who understand what it is like to live with depression and anxiety. I look normal but have had several episodes throughout my life---something that a lot of people do not understand. Just because someone may look "normal" doesn't always mean "all is well." :no:......

Thank you for having me here and I hope to meet a few of you and participate.

Welcome, Browneyed_gal61. I'm glad you found us! :flowers: The community here is warm, welcoming, and "gets" depression and anxiety. I suffer from both as well, and look "normal" (except for that strange cyclops eye... just kidding =P). I'm not sure what people expect mentally ill people to look like, but I'm sure they have preconceived notions. The same goes for any "invisible illness" and it's really a shame. This site, among many things, is a nice break from that because we support each other here.

Look forward to seeing you around the forums!

Thank you to Loathsome Bear, Aqua Violet, Elsie, and neurotic lady89 for each of your greetings to me. This looks like a great place to visit and I am certain that I will feel comfortable here.

I honestly don't know how those who never experienced a mental illness expect us to look. I just don't mention my depression or anxiety to everyone I meet because (1) it aint their business and (2) the stigma surrounding mental illness. I will talk to some people about it, but I will not open up to everyone because I do not want my disclosure to be ridiculed or shoved in my face. It is sad that people with heart disease or diabetes can freely mention their illnesses, but someone with a mental illness will get looked at strangely and be told to "chin up" or "get over it." If only it were that easy......... :tear2:  :hearthrob:

I look forward to some good conversation here! :smilingteeth: