Non-Drug Treatments?

BradMajors

The only forms of treatment mentioned on these boards seems to be either drugs or talk therapy.   There does exist other know effective types of treatment.

Exercise has been shown to be as effective as many AD drugs.  My brother is a Professor of Psychology and he has used light to treat his patients.  Massage has been known as an effective treatment.  etc.

Am I missing something?

Edited by BradMajors

Why is there no place for alternative treatments discussion on this board?   It is unlikely your doctor would have any interest in alternative forms of treatment that does not make the doctor any money.  AFAIK,  this board is not making any money off its members.

Edited by BradMajors

bradmajors,

You could check out the 'Other depression & anxiety medications' forum, I'm including a link to it.

http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/forum/46-other-depression-and-anxiety-medications/

Here is a thread someone started, about meditation as a form of treatment, coping, or therapy:

http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/topic/112655-the-power-of-meditation/

You could also do what you've done here, which is start a thread dedicated to alternative forms of treatment, assuming those alternative forms of treatment aren't illegal or harmful. 

Thank you for bringing this up.

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
add DF link

The only forms of treatment mentioned on these boards seems to be either drugs or talk therapy.   There does exist other know effective types of treatment.

Exercise has been shown to be as effective as many AD drugs.  My brother is a Professor of Psychology and he has used light to treat his patients.  Massage has been known as an effective treatment.  etc.

Am I missing something?

There are other ways to treat it...is your brother using TMS? I have a friend who is considering that. There is also ECT, some people use Omega 3, fish oil, vitamins, yoga for anxiety..