What Are The Little Things That Make You Happy?

LightMeadow

In an effort to treat my depression, I've been doing whatever makes me happy. I've found little cures that can lift me out of a sour mood or at least alleviate some of the darkness.

Here's some of what makes me happy: :1cat:

-Writing

-Friends & Family

-Candles

-Showers

-TV Shows

-Walks

-Books

-Animals

-A clean environment

-Making lists

-Wearing cute outfits

-Listening and singing along to music.

What makes you happy? :cat_jumps:

It does not take a lot for me to be happy. I am not sure if the fact that I have suffered all most of my life from MDD and anxiety has made me realize that the little / free things in life are things that I should look forward to. I enjoy being around friends (when I am not anxious) animals (especially dogs) music, nature and being with the people I love.

I didn't grow up very rich, my parents got married very young, and they didn't even finish high school. they worked minimum wage jobs, but I love them, I never missed anything. So I am not really the type of person who will be happy with fancy, expensive things, but everyone has their own things they enjoy so I don't want to judge.

Sitting on my front porch looking out at the fields and ponds

Watching the chickens, especially the babies. They are so funny.

Coffee

The sun coming up over the trees, some mornings it is just so beautiful. I wish I could paint it.

The deer out in the field, even if they did eat my entire garden, they are still pretty to look at

Painting my nails

When I manage to do a cross stitch pattern correctly, I am relearning how to do it and I had forgotten how hard it can be. I still mess up a lot on the little ones.

My house being clean

Sitting on my front porch looking out at the fields and ponds

Watching the chickens, especially the babies. They are so funny.

Coffee

The sun coming up over the trees, some mornings it is just so beautiful. I wish I could paint it.

The deer out in the field, even if they did eat my entire garden, they are still pretty to look at

Painting my nails

When I manage to do a cross stitch pattern correctly, I am relearning how to do it and I had forgotten how hard it can be. I still mess up a lot on the little ones.

My house being clean

Hi JaLee, your country life style sounds wonderful. I need to make a deck to be able to sit outside and look at the mountains and wildlife. 

The more i read how cleaning up one's house makes me realise ---so do I!!! 

- my dogs sleeping along side me when in bed

- sleeping with the window open (It was wonderful to hear the coyotes last night)

- listening to the wind blow or rain fall on our house

- listening to lil birds singing when i go for a walk

- seeing the first robin of the year

- long walks with my dogs

- horses

- friends who make me laugh 

- bakes chips ;) 

when my husband makes coffee or cooks for us

the cat

sunshine

warm breezes

people who do kind things for strangers (yes, this does really happen)

kids

hearing ppl laugh

seeing ppl smile when they're reading

listening to friends speak to each other

urban wildlife - the sparrow who jumped on the cafe table and demanded a piece of muffin!!

my friends' goofy dogs

Spending time with my dog

My home being clean

Taking my car to the car wash the self wash kind and cleaning it in and out

Paying my bills on time

Eating fresh healthy food

Walking

Working out

Hot yoga

Watching something funny and laughing

Winter scenes

Snow

Sunsets

The mountains

Wildlife

Highway driving in remote or rural areas

Canola fields in late summer

The sky

Some of the critters and plants around my house.

My mother lived in this house from 1986 until Christmas 2012; she died in the hospital on January 1, 2013 at age 95.

And when she moved here, one of the first things she did was to plant a garden.  Her "truck patch" was about the size of a one-car garage; she planted tomatoes, green peppers, and okra, but some years you'd find carrots, corn, green-striped cushaws, zucchini, and other edibles.  She always had more than she needed, and shared with relatives, neighbors, and I usually had some to take to work to share with coworkers and my boss... I sometimes say that's how I lasted so long there!

And she had several flower beds around the house with interesting things you don't always see in folks' flower beds - snow on the mountains, hollyhocks, blue cat whiskers, princess feathers, four o'clocks, touch-me-nots, curly-leaved basil, cypress vines, sage, poke.  Also some irises, a rose bush, and some tiger lilies, and part of one section of fence has some honeysuckle growing on it.

And it was a great backyard to "hang" in... butterflies, the odd hummingbird, orb weaver spiders (one year and one year only, we were treated to a couple of the large gorgeous females!), a rabbit or two.  Sorry... the moles were UNwelcome!).

Well, since she died, I've not kept up the momentum.  I don't have her green thumb; as well, for the first year I was still working full-time.  So the vegetable garden is now seeded over with grass, and several of the beds have also returned to grass.  But some of her legacy remains - some of the stuff is perennial, and has returned - the sage.  The four o'clocks (I think they'd survive a nuclear holocaust!), the cypress vines, the poke.  And when I wander around the house, I see many of the same critters.  It's kind of reassuring.  And there's a pattern - a timing to what/when blooms appear.  Just kind of nice.  I trim and garden shrub a little.

• 2 weeks later...

Things the little things that make me happy...

-Running

-Playing some of my favorite games

-Making people's day better

-Talking to my family

-Helping people

-Watching some of my favorite TV shows

-Listening to PS I Love You XOXO

-Music ?

Some of the critters and plants around my house.

My mother lived in this house from 1986 until Christmas 2012; she died in the hospital on January 1, 2013 at age 95.

And when she moved here, one of the first things she did was to plant a garden.  Her "truck patch" was about the size of a one-car garage; she planted tomatoes, green peppers, and okra, but some years you'd find carrots, corn, green-striped cushaws, zucchini, and other edibles.  She always had more than she needed, and shared with relatives, neighbors, and I usually had some to take to work to share with coworkers and my boss... I sometimes say that's how I lasted so long there!

And she had several flower beds around the house with interesting things you don't always see in folks' flower beds - snow on the mountains, hollyhocks, blue cat whiskers, princess feathers, four o'clocks, touch-me-nots, curly-leaved basil, cypress vines, sage, poke.  Also some irises, a rose bush, and some tiger lilies, and part of one section of fence has some honeysuckle growing on it.

And it was a great backyard to "hang" in... butterflies, the odd hummingbird, orb weaver spiders (one year and one year only, we were treated to a couple of the large gorgeous females!), a rabbit or two.  Sorry... the moles were UNwelcome!).

Well, since she died, I've not kept up the momentum.  I don't have her green thumb; as well, for the first year I was still working full-time.  So the vegetable garden is now seeded over with grass, and several of the beds have also returned to grass.  But some of her legacy remains - some of the stuff is perennial, and has returned - the sage.  The four o'clocks (I think they'd survive a nuclear holocaust!), the cypress vines, the poke.  And when I wander around the house, I see many of the same critters.  It's kind of reassuring.  And there's a pattern - a timing to what/when blooms appear.  Just kind of nice.  I trim and garden shrub a little.

Ratboy I can literally imagine being there hearing, seeing and smelling - it's a wonderful memory - hand onto it as it brings joy to not only your heart but mine as well.

More of the little things that make me happy.

Seeing my mother smile and laugh

Hugging my dogs and telling them I love you

Cool fall days, wearing my favorite warm jacket and walking upon the yellow leaves on the ground.

Hearing a squirl chattering away in the woods

Hearing a raven chortle as it flies over me. 

The wagging tail of my dogs when I arrive home from work

Phone call from my daughter just to tell me Mom I love you

Playing games on my tablet especially minions paradise

Every Friday's afternoon or the day before my vacation

Winter's first snow and all the Christmas decoration everywhere

Taking a walk with my dogs in the nature and watching them react to all the noises around

My partner Dan telling and showing me everyday how much he love's me

• 2 weeks later...

My 15 minute commute to/from work--it's on foot! I avoid all of the road rage that other commuters deal with. And it's a pretty walk.

My kitties both jumping on me when I go to bed. They sleep on or near me all night.

Seeing an old car or truck go down the street. I could care less about new vehicles, but the sight & sound of an old one makes me feel great.

Things that make me feel less bad...

Getting immersed in a great video game, which hasn't happened in a really long time.

Getting immersed in a great sci-fi tv show, like binge-watching Xena, or Star Trek, etc. Slightly more effective than a game.

Listening to metal. The more aggressive, the better I feel for whatever reason as long as there is a melody. Lately, Babymetal has had the best affect.

Daydreaming of affection/not being alone. Temporary effect, until I snap out of it.

Going for a drive.

the thought of doing something with a friend

just seeing my cat - if she is doing something sweet or silly, it's an added bonus

doing some small thing for my husband

completing a chore

taking a break with my husband

reading a good book

Working

talking to people I don,t know

Going to therapy

Drinking

Some of my pills I take

Seeing the sunset

The family pets

Talking to my sister