So What's Everyone's Sleep Pattern Like?

WhyAreWeHere

Do you have a routine? 

Do you go to bed at a reasonable time to get enough sleep - 6-8 hours?

I am trying to be in bed by midnight, clearly not happening right now.

I take my sleeping pill, lie down, watch a movie on very low brightness and then right after the movie I have various sound files I'll play, which range from ASMR stuff, to rain falling on a tin roof in the Amazon, to soft melodic music, to my new favorite, sounds of a train running, which is very, very soothing and relaxing.

Let's your bedtime prep routines.  Maybe we could get some new good ideas.

I go to bed somewhere between 8 and 10 pm. I have tried all kinds of things that didn't work. Even prescription meds don't work part of the time.

I lay there for hours refusing to look at the clock and am paralyzed but aware of time passing and sounds in the house. I hate nighttime and bedtime because I can't sleep properly. My husband however falls asleep as soon as he hits the pillow, which is just annoying as all get out since I am laying there exhausted and would give almost anything to just lay down and sleep like he does.

So far I have tried about everything I can think of so I am curious and hopeful others will post on this so maybe I can get some new ideas.

I try to get into bed by 01:00.  I take a dose of Ativan before hand.  I usually read something really boring, like an The Economist, and I go out like 10 minutes later.  Problem is staying asleep, I usually get up every two hours or so.  Sometimes I eat and don't even remember.  This is not every night but the majority.  Sleeping pills do not work for me.  I've tried most of them.  The one that came close was Rozarem.  I sometimes nap and off during the day.  Depends on what is going on.

I invariably listen to comedy shows or crime thrillers on my internet radio or a Bluetooth speaker after I've climbed into bed. Usually I'm asleep before the end of the programme and if not, I'll either choose another one or get out of bed and probably watch TV instead.  I always go to bed early (between 8 and 9) because that's how my body clock works.  I suffer from obstructive sleep apnoea, so the problem for me is not quantity but quality of my sleep.  Unfortunately the results of poor sleep are very similar to those of mild depression and I almost certainly had the sleep condition for several years without realising. 

It's a big mistake to lie awake in bed for any length of time.  Much better to get up, do something boring or drink a glass of milk before trying again.  It's actually much harder to stay awake than sleep when you're genuinely tired, but forcing the issue rarely works out.  Sleeping pills shouldn't be anything other than a temporary solution to get you back into a routine, but I do genuinely sympathise with insomniacs especially when they've got depression as well.

I try to be in bed somewhere between 8 and 10 p.m. Some nights it's later because of work or having to bring my daughter home from work.

I take prescription stuff about 1/2 hour before I want to fall asleep. I get into bed and both cats hop in with me. They like to be petted for a few minutes, which is relaxing. But then my mind starts running through all of the crap I need to get done at work, or bills I have to pay, or whatever. So there I lay, with cats on me and my mind racing. I've tried every technique there is to stop the racing but I haven't had much success.

If I'm lucky, I'll drift off after about 30 minutes. But if something wakes me up in that first hour, I'm done--I'll be wide awake for hours. Sometimes I get up and read, or I'll just lay there and try to view the inside of my head, right above my nose.

I've always been a light sleeper so it's not uncommon for me to awaken 3 or 4 times/night. Sometimes I can fall back to sleep, other times I can't.

i think i've been sleeping for 10 hours every night since i've been depressed. i know that's way too much, but most of the time i would rather be sleeping than awake. i'm trying to cut back on my sleeping time, though. 

there was an extremely dark period in my life when i was super-depressed and couldn't sleep properly. i was able to fall asleep but i would wake up every night about 2.5 hours after falling asleep. i would experience panic, anxiety and depression when i would wake up like this, so it was hard to fall asleep. i was already on lexapro at that time but i went to the hospital and the doctor gave me an antipsychotic/mood stabilizer called Loquen. i don't know what's it called in the US, but the active ingredient is quetiapine. now i'm taking 50mg every night before going to sleep and i've been sleeping properly ever since.

apart from that, i sometimes listen to the sound of rain, or the sound of a hair dryer, since these sounds are really relaxing to me. if i'm feeling anxious before falling asleep, i usually listen to a guided meditation. there are a ton of those on youtube. my grandmother said that holding mudras helps her fall asleep and relieve anxiety, so i'm going to check out those.

also i'd like to reccomend this free program called "f.lux" for the computer which adjusts the color of your screen according to the time of day. in the evening your screen becomes warm and pink-ish. it's really great. it can help you fall asleep faster because it changes the blue light from your screen in the evening, and blue light is not good because it makes your brain think it's daytime and that it should be awake. it's very easy (takes less than a minute) to install and doesn't interupt your computer in any way. it's completely free, just google the name flux and you'll find it.

sporadic from week to week.

9:30am Get up around

5pm go home then eat around go to sleep

12am wake up around

4am go back to sleep around

start over again

sometimes I stay up two days in a row. Then crash hard.

Other times I sleep the entire weekend.

My general health has been slowly declining for a long time.

One of the AD I take make (venlafaxine) me an insomniac so I take trazodone. If I forget to take it I will be awake all night. That would last three full days. I actually sleep pretty well at night. I spend quite a bit of time in bed during the day because I feel safe there so I get more rest.

Insomnia is a sign my depression is returning. Getting very tired shows I might be becoming anaemic. Luckily I'm ok most of the time.

Does anyone else have nightmares when they are able to actually sleep a bit? It seems like as soon as I start to doze the slightest bit, the worst images just flood in until I snap myself awake.

Hi Jalee. I actually have a horror of having them and not waking up and its one of the reasons I am phobic about sleeping meds, 

No I think its normal to wake up when they get to a certain intensity but from what h says to me I tend to toss and turn and cry etc a lot so must be asleep for some of it, Such a nice part of ptsd isnt it? 

My sleep patterns are hellish basically but better than they were and I am very grateful for that. 

Things I changed a long time ago that helped me specifically for what I am dealing with:

I never stay down for more than 20 mins if I cant sleep. 

I no longer obsess about sleep or anticipate not being able to sleep. I just accept what will happen will happen, 

I do other things if I cant so that I dont regret all the hours i am awake when I should be asleep. 

I no longer force myself into doing things which are unhelpful to me just because others find them helpful. Such as having a dark room, My hypervigilence gets worse in the dark. Same for quiet. I also sleep in the living room as beds are triggering. 

So my pattern is usually 3,30 to 4,30am I get to sleep which is waqy better than 6am although that still happens about once a week. I usually can sleep until 9 if it is possible whereas in the past it would be one or two hours then awake again. 

I also allow myself to sleep for an hour or so in the afternoon if the opportunity arises as I sleep better in the evening if I am not overtired. Again different to what works for people usually, Some Saturdays I sleep and sleep and sleep and as much as i feel disgusted with myself I accept it as I am constantly severely sleep deprived. 

I am actually very lucky since I am a good sleeper. I usually go to bed around 11 pm and wake up around 7/8 am. Later at free days obviously. I just need my sleep otherwise I get very cranky. I have not too much problems falling asleep and I usually just wake up once a night..

Edited by Cupcake_girl

I crash but then wake up soon after and usually end up staying up. The 'staying up' apart used to be intentional, as in it was actually part of my routine (it's something that I don't think most will understand), and then it lapsed into something I couldn't control.

Yeah, I feel the effects of operating under barely any sleep.

Does anyone else have nightmares when they are able to actually sleep a bit? It seems like as soon as I start to doze the slightest bit, the worst images just flood in until I snap myself awake.

Hi Jalee. I actually have a horror of having them and not waking up and its one of the reasons I am phobic about sleeping meds, 

No I think its normal to wake up when they get to a certain intensity but from what h says to me I tend to toss and turn and cry etc a lot so must be asleep for some of it, Such a nice part of ptsd isnt it? 

There are so many wonderful things about ptsd I wouldn't know where to start listing them :sigh:

Well since I wake up at 5:15 I try to make sure I am in bed by 8:30. But that doesn't mean I'll be falling asleep any time soon. I start at around 8, taking a shower, prepping clothes for the next morning etc... Then I am in bed by 8:30 and will watch a show till 9. Then I lay in bed tossing and turning for 45 min before I fall asleep. But if I hear a noise in the house while drifting off, the tossing and turning starts all over because the obsessive negative thoughts come. Once I am asleep I  sleep well unless I have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom (which is nearly every night) or if I wake up from a nightmare. If that happens I end up tossing and turning until my alarm goes off. 

I should videotape myself while I'm sleeping and send the video to AFV or should I say CFV I leave in Canada, I would definitely win the big price and make lots of peoples laugh.  I twist and turn a lot, talk and make funny noise but I don't snore which is good.  This is probably the reason I'm so tired when I  wake up in the morning and my husband is as well from listening and watching me, at least he always wake up amused and with a big smile.

My sleep pattern was horrible.

Cant sleep at night and falling asleep during daytime.

Avoiding coffee and exercise helped me and it became normal.

And then a few days ago, I went to supermarket, saw coffee and couldn't help myself and bought it.

Now even though I did not drink coffee in the evening, my sleep pattern is disturbed.

I slept pretty late last night.

So now I am on a regime 'not to drink coffee after 1 pm'

And back on exercise. 

Edited by dolphin2015