Debilitating Exhaustion

callierose303

Hi All

I have, I guess, a question regarding fatigue/exhaustion.  I am so tired lately that I can't do anything.  As an example, last night I went to sleep about 11 pm, woke up at 8 am (so 9 hours sleep) was up for an hour and then was so tired I had to go back to bed and slept for another 1.5 hours.

Does anyone else experience this?  It's only been about 3-4 weeks I've felt like this but it seems to be getting worse.  I'm not knew to depression.  I have been dealing with depression for 5  years now.  I am currently on Imipramine, Trazadone, L-Tryptophan and Ativan (0.5 mg) for my depression/anxiety.  I will mention I also have fibromyalgia for which I take no medication (but which can also cause fatigue).  I'm just surprised by how exhausted I am.

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions you may have.

Callie

Hi,

As you suffer from fibromyalgia I guess you are no stranger to fatigue. Depression also brings fatigue due to the effect it has on the sleeping pattern rem sleep.

If you are sleeping badly that does not help and it just makes matters worse. Please go and see your Doctor as it may need some different medication or a drug review.

Jimbow

I feel the same way many times.

Doesn't matter how much or how little I sleep, I always feel exhausted.

A few months ago I would sleep 10+ hours a day, yet I'd never feel energized or awake.

Now, I sleep too little and wake up at weird times throughout the night. :(

I don't have a solution though, sorry, other than trying to go to bed at the same time every night, forcing yourself up with an alarm and scheduling a nap. ):

Hi All

I have, I guess, a question regarding fatigue/exhaustion.  I am so tired lately that I can't do anything.  As an example, last night I went to sleep about 11 pm, woke up at 8 am (so 9 hours sleep) was up for an hour and then was so tired I had to go back to bed and slept for another 1.5 hours.

Does anyone else experience this?  It's only been about 3-4 weeks I've felt like this but it seems to be getting worse.  I'm not knew to depression.  I have been dealing with depression for 5  years now.  I am currently on Imipramine, Trazadone, L-Tryptophan and Ativan (0.5 mg) for my depression/anxiety.  I will mention I also have fibromyalgia for which I take no medication (but which can also cause fatigue).  I'm just surprised by how exhausted I am.

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions you may have.

Callie

Callie, so sorry you're dealing with the constant exhaustion! I'd ask your doctor what he or she thinks. Depression can cause extreme exhaustion, but where it is not a new illness to you and this symptom just popped up, I wonder if the Fibromyalgia is the culprit. I have a connective tissue disorder (EDS) and also deal with chronic fatigue and exhaustion.

One thing that helps me is to pace myself throughout the day. I know darn well that I'm going to need a nap, so I don't fight with myself about it anymore, I just do what I can in the first half of the day, get some sleep, and then see what else I can get accomplished. At first it seemed like I was getting nothing done due to the exhaustion, but learning to work around it is possible and a huge relief. I don't suggest doing this before seeing a doctor and ignoring the symptom in a sense, but if you see a doctor and it seems like something you'll deal with even on and off for a while, it's a good coping technique.

I hope you find answers soon.

Gosh its amazing how often we think of laziness Callie. Lazy would be if you were very able and fine but chose to do nothing. I also have fibromyalgia but what effects me periodically that I truly detest is hypersomnia. Maybe that is happening for you? I honestly find it one of the most intolerable things to deal with as it becomes near impossible to do anything. I have done threads on here before about it.. I feel sedated 24 hrs a day and sometimes struggle not to sleep for most of them. 

When I am able to use my logic then I can realise that its actually a normal and good thing that my body needs so much rest. Im sure you body and mind want and need a lot of rest. The stuff we are dealing with is physically and pyshologically exhausting, suffer with chronic insomnia and think you do too so having times when more sleep is needed is normal if we think about it logically. 

If you are able then maybe just let yourself sleep more and try to get some fresh air and a little stimulation when up if you can. 

Edited by Fizzle

i have been having this alot to and its funny because im sleeping good now and have no insomnia,I feel like a zombie during the day I can barley leave my chair without feeling like im wearing a lead suit.I have to force myself to do everything I have thought about not eating its so bad,I just have no energy to cook,Its really humid here to and don,t no if that could contribute to the fatque

I wonder fatigue is because of the meds?

Imipramine and Trazadone have potent sedative and hypnotic action.

(I have experience with Tricyclic antidepressant. I remember it made me sleep the whole day and the whole night.)

And you are also taking Activan which is also a potent sedative too. (I was once addicted to it.)

Plus L-tryptophan (I did some research about it) can also cause fatigue.

I think doing moderate exercise regularly would be a good idea to counter it.

I am trying to do exercise every morning and I can see the good results - I am alert and awake the whole day.