Sign in to follow this  
4amRedLight

Please Name A Song That Understands Your Depression.

Sometimes when no one around seems to get it, there's music that reaffirms what we're going through.

I'd like to get a survey of what other people listen to that captures what it's like to be depressed.

So please name one song that made you feel like the person who wrote the lyrics knows what it's like.

Then describe if you can, what that emotion or situation means to you. Doesn't have to be what the song itself is about, just what feelings call to you.

I'll start off.

Song: Twisted Transistor by Korn.

Interpretation: Having the talent to do awesome, pent up. Searching hard but finding no outlet.

- Jon

Not intending to turn this into a thread about what the "true" meaning of various songs are, but no. To me its on the surface about an outcast girl who listens to music. Then below the surface seems to suggest sexual self-pleasure or rape. Don't know what the band had to say.

Edited by 4amRedLight

Simon and Garfunkel's, Bridge over trouble water.

The first time I heard this I was pretty young about 14, it was at my brothers best friends funeral. They were playing some of his favorite music, I don't know, I just think about the people I've lost and how that maybe they are watching over me in heaven, trying to help me. That one inspires me.

Simon and Garfunkel's The sound of silence

This one is how I feel. Like No one is listening.

Edited by kimbo1987

Not intending to turn this into a thread about what the "true" meaning of various songs are, but no. To me its on the surface about an outcast girl who listens to music. Then below the surface seems to suggest sexual self-pleasure or rape. Don't know what the band had to say.

It is about a Trans-sexual guy and his struggles.

Or so the interview stated.

Very good song no matter the meaning.

There have been a coupe of songs I liked and though i knew the meaning until the internet came around...

Isn't it funny how people think a certain song has one meaning and than the artist will tell you what the were thinking when they wrote it, and your like "Whoa" that isn't even close to what I thought they were singing about.

"Shots" by Imagine Dragons

The lyrics resonate with me:

I'm sorry for everything

Oh, everything I've done

Am I out of touch? Am I out of my place?

When I keep saying that I'm looking for an empty space

Oh, I'm wishing you're here

But I'm wishing you're gone

I can't have you and I'm only gonna do you wrong

Oh, I'm going to mess this up

Oh, this is just my luck

Over and over and over again

I'm sorry for everything, oh everything I've done

From the second that I was born

It seems I had a loaded gun

And then I shot, shot, shot a hole through everything I loved

Oh, I shot, shot, shot a hole through every single thing that I loved

Castle of Glass - Linkin Park

What the Chorus means to me: 

there is nothing left of who I am after so many years of struggling against depression

The rest of the song sort of describes figuratively what it's like

Chorus:

'Cause I'm only a crack in this castle of glass
Hardly anything there for you to see
For you to see

Pain Is A Master - Gojira

What the Excerpt means to me:

how depression erases who you are and what you know about yourself, and the physical & emotional pain it causes

Excerpt:

I am nothing the pain awake is forging me
Face down, inert
Forcing me, dreams haunting me

Pull Me Under - Dream Theater

What it means to me:

Go ahead and put me in my worst nightmare, I'm not afraid anymore.

I've been there, been chewed up & spit out, & I'm still *****ng kicking.

If you stare d**th in the face long enough, you quit being afraid.

Almost any Kid Cudi song... He's so much more than his 2 mainstream hits Pursuit of Happiness and Day N' Nite

'Confused' is his newest song off an album that is going to be released soon and describes how I feel right now pretty well. It's pretty self explanatory if you listen to it. 

There was a time many years ago where I first listened to his music and thought it was cool and pretty different from other rap. This year I listened to all his music again and realized how much I didn't understand before. How troubled he really is mentally even though he's really gifted... He really puts it all out there in his music for you to listen to, if you are willing to actually listen.

His new album Speedin' Bullet to Heaven that is coming out is dedicated to everyone struggling with mental disorder all around the world. 

Are you ready for this? - O' little Sister

(PM me for link if you want to listen, it's almost impossible to find on Youtube)

Click Show for lyrics [TRIGGER WARNING: Contains Suicide Ideation]

Do you need a fire in your cold cold night? The heat left your body, the need to survive.

Can you hear the drums in the beat of the night? The beat in your head, it keeps you alive.

Are you ready to hear? Am I coming in clear? Are you brave enough to swallow all your fear?

Your feet on the ledge, the burn in your chest, your heart on the edge, are you ready for this?

Then the other one said - Did you know that the man on the moon needs a friend?

Then the other one said - Yeah, yeah I know, that I could use a good friend...

And I don't think I'm losing because the music is confusing my mind, my mind.

If I wanted to go, am I ready to go? Am I ready to know? Will I fall down to the ocean floor?

I never wanted to know, I never needed to know, take a step off the edge...

And where would I go? I never wanted to know, I never needed to know, no no, hello hello-lo?

So do you need a fire in your cold cold night? the heat in your body, the need to survive.

Can you hear the drums in the beat of the night? The beat in your head, you speak from the heart.

Are you ready to hear? Am I coming in clear? Are you brave enough to swallow all your fear?

Your feet on the ledge, the burn in your chest, your heart on the edge, are you ready for this?

Then the other one said - Yeah, yeah I know, that I could use a good friend.

And I don't think I'm losing because the music is confusing my mind, my mind.

If I wanted to go, am I ready to go? Am I ready to know? Will I fall down to the ocean floor?

I never wanted to know, I never needed to know, take a step off the edge...

And where would I go? I never wanted to know, I never needed to know, no no, hello hello-lo?

So do you need a fire in your cold cold night, the heat in your body, the need to survive.

Can you hear the drums in the beat of the night? The beat in your head, you speak from the heart.

Then the other one said- Yeah I know that I could use a good friend...

Edited by Waffles

The Beach Boys - The Night Was So Young 

[Please PM this member for the link to this song. Thank you.]

ISo I'm 17 turning 18 soon, I'm a shy guy, who's never really had a relationship with a girl or never dated one. I hooked up with some girls at partys and stuff like that, but I am a really emotional guy.and I always wanted the "perfect relationship" where I as in love. So almost 2 years ago, I met some girl and we had quite a few interest. Shes really beautiful and chill and I immediately liked her. Weeks passed and we were having a blast, talking during class and texting all the time and hanging out. I was liking her every day more and more, but I never wanted to tell her, how I felt because I was to shy and scared to tell her. So than we suddenly drifted apart, and we stopped talking after a couple of months of knowing each. I couldn't understand this feeling before because I was so happy around her and I've never felt these emotions or felt this good. I opened up to her all the things I liked, the hobbies the passions I had which i rarely or even told no one to because I was to scared. I was smiling, getting the butterflies by thinking of her etc. So after we stopped talking, it hit me hard. I didn't know why she did this and whos fault was it. I soon entered a big depression which took me about a half a year to get over. I started smoking a bunch of illegal drug after, started eating more junk food, always sad and I was thinking of her. I was crushed, I lost my mojo I wasnt that good socially anymore, and I wasnt as happy before. Still to this day I've never liked a girl after this only a couple of infatuations, and Im still sad, always looking for something, always trying to find that happy state and place I was when i was with her. It got me messed up in th inside a little. This song just explains the lost happiness I have because of the girl leaving me and stuff like that. Also I have a lot of unique intrested in which I haven't met a lot of people who listen to my music, do the things I love, etc.

The lines 

The sky's turnin' gray, there's clouds overhead
I'm still not asleep, I'm in my bed
I think of her eyes and it makes me sigh
I think of her voice and it makes me cry

This was me for a long time, laying in bed with sleepless nights, just day dreaming of her and asking myself why did this happen?

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
remove outside link

Ramshackle glory- from here to utopia

Love this song.

"I'll tell you, man, my friend William came to me with a message of hope.

It went: “**** you and everything that you think you know.

If you don't step outside the things that you believe

They're gonna **** you.”

He said: “No one's gonna stop you from dying young, and miserable, and right.

If you want something better, you gotta put that aside.”

Blackbird - The Beatles

Blackbird singing in the dead of night

Take these broken wings and learn to fly

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to be free.

Blackbird fly Blackbird fly

Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird fly Blackbird fly

Into the light of the dark black night.

Take these broken wings and learn to fly

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to arise

You were only waiting for this moment to arise

You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

my go-to has usually been Cold by Crossfade.

really hits home for me.

lyrics:

I never really wanted you to see
The screwed up side of me that I keep
Locked inside of me so deep
It always seems to get to me

Edited by sonix19

Sometimes when no one around seems to get it, there's music that reaffirms what we're going through.

I'd like to get a survey of what other people listen to that captures what it's like to be depressed.

So please name one song that made you feel like the person who wrote the lyrics knows what it's like.

Then describe if you can, what that emotion or situation means to you. Doesn't have to be what the song itself is about, just what feelings call to you.

I'll start off.

Song: Twisted Transistor by Korn.

Interpretation: Having the talent to do awesome, pent up. Searching hard but finding no outlet.

- Jon

That's a great track by Korn, but I always prefered Open Up from that album. 

Glad to see I'm not the only Nine Inch Nails fan here. This a fantastic thread. NIN are my favourite band and a lot of their songs speak about depression. The one I find most relatable however is Head Down. So much so that I got some of the lyrics tattooed on my chest.

'And this is not my face

And this is not my life'

I see the whole track as a reflection upon that feeling of being lost, unable to find one's true self due to fear, oppressed to a point of rage and desperation. My take on this however is that all of this IS my identity, I have many faces. In dark times I often say 'I'd give anything' to be "normal", but I'd rather find the courage to take pride in who I am, who I could be if I stop putting my head down and instead rise up.