Sign in to follow this  
Dave94

Is Suicide Really Selfish?

i think that focusing too much on it being "selfish" is probably self-defeating. but suic*de itself is very self-defeating. it's the ultimate self-defeat... it is the acceptance of defeat in the face of things you feel you cannot change, which may not be a true perception of reality... our depressed brains lie to us. think about the idea that what your brain is telling you about the bad future is probably mostly lies. wouldn't it be a terrible thing to believe a bunch of lies and then do something that is permanent based on those lies?

i don't like the word "selfish" and as others have mentioned, it is not useful to put labels like this on it.

but yes, the more damage you cause in your wake, the more harm will be caused to others. 

random people you don't know could be harmed or traumatized by it, if they found you, etc.

if you did it in a way where friends would find you, then your friends may be harmed by it too. Even if they didn't find you they may suffer trauma over it.

it's not just about you. it's not only about other people either.

it sounds like you are wanting someone to negate "selfish" as a reason not to do it, so you can increase the idea that it's ok to do that.

i won't do that. and i don't think anyone else will either.

i really hope you can find some peace, even if it's a small peace. please come up with some solutions that involve life.

I wholeheartedly agree with your post OP.

The way that others phrase it makes them sound like you'll mess up "their" need of you (selfish). What's selfish is not having the compassion to see that I'm in pain and can't stand life. Just let me go, it would be a kindness.

Suicide is not selfish we need to look at what we are truly afraid of death and people die every day some people i believe are meant to die by suicide you try everything but it's there time we think we can save everyone from suicide well we cant the best thing we can do is love people while there here.my friend attempted and plans to attempt again its not my place to stop her and she knows not to stop me if i try .i love her but she has the right to choose and i believe even in death that right should not be taken away

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

I honestly wouldn't say suicide is selfish. I've attempted multiple times and obviously failed, I wasn't doing it to just benefit me. The way I saw things in my head made it seem like that would solve a lot of the problems that the people around me had at the time. Even today I still would do it just to make things a little easier on the people around me. Take my parents for example, They are helping me pay for tuition and medical bills for all the doctors and what not for my cancer. I'm pretty sure it hurts my parents more knowing that I am suffering and don't want to be here than it would if I ended it now. 

I don't want to live anymore because I really dislike this world, society, and my place in it. I feel like a nothing, a failure. I can't relate to other people. I don't really enjoy anything. I wake up every day dreading everything. I have no self-confidence. Everything is a struggle.

I can't "snap out of it" or "man up", as people say. This is just who I am.

So I would very much like to die to end the suffering. However I will not commit suicide because it will hurt and screw up my 2 kids, I am sure. I don't want to do that.

So every day I ask God to take me, but I don't think that will work. Nothing to do but endure to the bitter end, I guess. So depressing.

I don't think it is.. It's just choosing for yourself. If someone is that unhappy he/she feels they just can't live anymore and did try anyone in their power to change that I don't think it's selfish. Of course you'll leave people behind with a lot of pain but I think if those people truly loved you they rather have you peaceful in their heart them miserable in your life.

I've never liked the use of the word "selfish" in discussions about suicide.  As tragic as it was, I think Robin Williams' suicide was very important for national discussions of suicide in the US because it felt very personal to a lot of people and started changing how suicide is viewed.

I think the term "selfish" implies a certain disregard or maliciousness on the part of the person.  Part of the problem with suicide is how it affects different groups.  Sometimes, it is described as a victimless act- which is certainly untrue.  There are multiple victims, from the deceased to the people who loved them.  I have not attempted suicide for many years, but I recall how much it hurt my family to even learn that I'd hit that point before.  On the other side, I remember how I felt when a friend committed suicide: I was shocked and sad, but most of all I wondered how I hadn't seen it and what I hadn't done to help.

When somebody commits suicide, the people around them are left without answers and without understanding.  In their pain, they may see the act as a selfish one.  At the same time, I'd argue that only those of us who have been at the brink can really understand the mindset that leads to suicide.  It could be described as selfish, I suppose, as considerations for others didn't play into my thoughts.  People who haven't hit that point can't understand the obsessive hopelessness that I felt.  Perhaps I was thinking selfishly, but I think that selfishness in this case is merely a side-effect of feeling desperate.  I remember how it felt.  I couldn't stop the weight on me, I couldn't find relief from anything, and I was desperate for anything to stop it.  Even a permanent stop felt better than what I felt.

No, I don't think suicide is selfish.  I can understand why that term is used, but my experiences have shown me something different.  In my own experience, it came from a place of desperation that I had reached because of a warped mindset that I couldn't escape.  Personally, I'll never condemn a person who has lost their fight against suicide as selfish.  I grieve for them and the way they must have felt to have reached that point.

When I die people will be celebrating in the streets. This is based on the way they have treated me when I was alive.

In my case, I've often felt that the world would be better off without me. I feel like I'm taking up valuable resources from someone else who could be more productive and useful.

When I die people will be celebrating in the streets. This is based on the way they have treated me when I was alive.

In my case, I've often felt that the world would be better off without me. I feel like I'm taking up valuable resources from someone else who could be more productive and useful.

Oh yes duck and JD4010...like everyday when it's shiny outside i think oh what a good day to die today and get rid of this rotten world for once and all...why are we being forced to keep on living when we like noting about this world?...at the end of the road there's no turning back from dying of old age but i don't want to wait to die from a sickness or old age.

He!!, sometimes I feel guilty for merely existing. Or that I was a "mistake" and wasn't meant to be born into this universe. Or that the universe is hostile towards me and wants to remove me.

This isn't paranoia. It's my conclusion after half-a-century's worth of observation and data collection.

It can be both. People that says it's selfish and point the finger are close-minded. So it's selfish because if I die people close to me will suffer from my loss. Well, why don't the people close to me recognize daily life for me is constant suffering, and by keeping myself alive in order to not make them experience pain they are causing me to suffer.

I just wanted to remind everyone that this site is pro-life. 

You are all valuable people. 

Instead of focusing on the word "selfish", we should all be working to encourage each other to keep fighting.