Sign in to follow this  
dysect

I Dislike And/or Am Afraid Of People.

I mean I don't know...sometimes I'm friendly but I usually try to avoid people as much as I can. This reaction I have of people is just based on how I've been treated my whole life so I don't think it's any fault of my own. My main concern is when someone sees me, how they're judging my physical appearance and how they're analyzing me. I'm a total hermit and it has gotten really bad. Just the other day I couldn't get myself to go get my mail just because there were a bunch of kids and parents right outside my house near my mailbox. I had to wait until they all left...I'm such a joke. I'm afraid of everything that would cause me to interact with strangers and this is no way of living.

My son has the same problem. He hates to leave the house. Won't even go into a store. I don't know why. He is a good person, fun to be around but spends most of his days locked up in his room. I usually only see him when he comes down to shower or get something to eat. I think if you take it slowly and one step at a time you will be ok. I don't know  really why, wish I did. I know when he was little he was shy. I think he too believes he will be judged on his appearance and there is nothing wrong with the way he looks. Maybe he is judging himself too much. Your not alone, Best wishes for you.

I am friendly and outgoing but I also try not to interact much with people as I feel I may make some small mistake and be judged an oddball. Mostly it is women not men that take my words and twist them into something I never said and often wish I had a camera recording the whole conversation to prove I never said what they think I did. Nothing against women but that is what I've noticed in my 55 years on this planet.

I am friendly and outgoing but I also try not to interact much with people as I feel I may make some small mistake and be judged an oddball. Mostly it is women not men that take my words and twist them into something I never said and often wish I had a camera recording the whole conversation to prove I never said what they think I did. Nothing against women but that is what I've noticed in my 55 years on this planet.

Everyone seem to do that these days, not just women. Seems they really want you to be guilty of something so they can feel justified in abuse.

I can relate completely.  I do not have a problem socializing with people but it takes a lot out of me.  Drinking is a big part of socializing among my friends and my wives friends.  That is a problem for me as I do not care to drink.  Anyway, in my experiences, when I am going through a phase where I do not want to leave the house, I make small attempts to got out: go to the mailbox, walk around the block, go to a coffee shop; go to a movie, all in my own time.  You don't necessarily have to interact with people. rather, the idea is to be around people.  I have taught myself that it is not my business what other people think of me, so when I have to interact with people I don't worry about that.  The idea is small steps, very small.  And if you can't do it at first, don't beat yourself up over it, just start from the beginning.

R'

I avoid them too. They always take advantage of me so I stay away. They don't play by the rules of common decency.It is the only way I can feel safe.

Edited by mehameha

I get annoyed with people to I just feel like im always going to be on the verge of getting into a argument or having people tell me what I should be doing. I don't find most people I talk to interesting either I try to but it just is so boring I don't care about my neighborhoods dog what there kids are doing who you slept with what you did over the weekend I just don't care. Unless i talk to you and see that your different from most people, are well read, don't like being cruel to others, don't have loads of drama in your life. Then I will try to get to know you, or if you give me alchohol or food i,ll talk to you, but im going to have to be drunk proportionally to how interesting I find you.

I use to give people the benefit of the doubt assume they were decent people, had some depth to them, but I learned that is not the case most of the time. i guess i need to lower my expectations of people. I just know when i use to shop in the store I use to work at i couldn't go more than a few feet without getting into a 5 minute conversation with my coworkers.

Edited by scienceguy