Sign in to follow this  
Bradoonee

Anhedonia: No Medication Available For It In The Uk!!! :(

Seems like there is no medication available in the UK to defeat anhedonia. I was doing alright up until the end of last year. I had enjoyment for music, feelings for my child and wife etc but recently its all completely gone plus I'm now getting dark moods each day!!! I can tolerate anhedonia but the dark moods on top of it are too much. I've read about this NSI-189 medication recently and it gives me hope but where is it in the UK? Seems like the states are making some progress with it but its no where to be seen over here. At the moment I'm feeling really bad as my mood has taken a big dive. I keep fighting but boy is this life a sick joke at times!!! :(

There is no approved medication for treating anhedonia in the U.S.

I've seen a lot of studies about using ketamine off-label to treat anhedonia in patients with bi-polar when no other meds help.

http://www.nature.com/tp/journal/v4/n10/full/tp2014105a.html

If there's one drug the world could use it's one for treating this symptom.

Edited by birch

Hi Birch,

Yeah I've heard good reports on Ketamine in treating anhedonia too.

Mind you with the person we have in power here the chance of it getting approval would be slim.

I'm thinking about starting a charity so we can do some trials here in the uk with say Ketamine and NSI-189.

Edited by Bradoonee

Anhedonia is a symptom of depression. Keep trying different anti depressants until one doesn't cause the blunting effect, which is a side effect rather than the desired effect.

If you find the right SSRI/SNRI/TCA etc, you will be able to feel emotions, and pleasure again.

The highest likelehood for the ones to work for us, with dopamine suppressed systems, which depression is causing, drugs with 5ht2c atagonism are desirable.

Fluoxetine, Mirtazapine, TCAs.

NSI-189 is not yet approved, but if you want to seek it, you can with some googling

Edited by jaiho

I'm currently taking Mirtazapine 45mg and Abilify 15mg. In the past they worked quite well together but seem not so effective at the moment except for keeping my mood stable. Up until last year for instance I use to get some reasonable enjoyment from music but now zip. Oh well least I'm not experiencing dark moods right now so that's a blessing!!

^I think so as it is more favored in Europe, but if it isn't, don't let that stop you if it is your last resort and you are suicidal or anything. Anhedonia is an excellent predictor of suicide.

I know it is not available in the USA. Bummer, because it seems like an excellent drug. It is basically the opposite of an SSRI in that it LOWERS your serotonin. If you think it will cause anxiety, it won't; it is marketed especially against anxiety as well. There is about a zero chance of this causing anhedonia, unlike SSRIs. From some interesting downstream regulatory effects, you end up with UP regulated dopamine, neuroplasticity factors, and opioid signalling (opioid signaling is what gives you a mood boost from heavy exercise). It is not addictive, does not have withdrawal effects, and has minimal general side-effects. 

SSRIs probably only work (and only for some people) from their downregulatory effects on the biology of stress, not the "increasing serotonin". Tianeptine addresses HPA axis dysfunction just as well. Bonus points is it kicks in very quickly, in the first week or two.

Option 2 is Selegiline, a special kind of MAOI that shouldn't have dietary restrictions (especially if taken transdermally). This is more symptomatic as I can't see how it would address any fundamental depression biology. I'm really not a fan of the monoamine hypothesis, as you can see.  

If that isn't an option, you might be able to get Memantine off-label. It is a NMDAr antagonist and should work vaguely like Ketamine (the nuclear bomb against anhedonia). It's downstream effect is also to upregulate dopamine and neuroplasticity which is why it is originally given for symptomatic treatment of Alzheimers. 

Speaking of Ketamine, do they do that in the UK?

Good luck. 

Hi there. 

I've had anhedonia for over 10 years now; that's my entire adult life. 

I'm in the US, but I can't take antidepressants because they make me suicidal, moody and hostile. 

My pdoc prescribed me Latuda because Abilify did nothing for my depression; they're both atypical antipsychotics. I'm praying that Latuda makes me feel something other than dead inside, because I hate having everything be a chore and meaningless. 

Just know you are not alone. I'm sorry you have to go through this. 

Wow MiaouMikse you know your stuff! That's a lot of interesting options but are any of them available in the UK or would I have to venture out of this country? Look forward to your response!! :-)

Re options: Brandoonee,

I checked and sadly, Tuaneptine does not seem to be available in the UK. It is not a scheduled drug though, so I imagine it wouldn't carry terrible penalties if caught. It should be available in France, since they invented the stuff.

Memantine should be available anywhere, but since its is an "Alzhemier's drug" not an "antidepressant" I imagine you'd have trouble convincing a doctor, especially since your UK health system is so very uptight on these things (and I thought America was bad...)

Selegiline is a standard (but older) antidepressant drug. Do get the transdermal version to minimize side effects and drug interactions though. I found a patient handout on your NHS UK site, so it looks like you're good.

Ketamine is legal as an anesthetic. Not sure of its UK use in depression, I couldn't find a single government patient info page. Elsewhere, is seen as a "last resort" treatment (which is weird, given that it is really, really safe and effective) and so would be problematic. Don't try this on your own though! It really does need medical supervision as it is an inpatient treatment. They give you a weekly dose that makes you confused and disoriented for a short time. The benefit is from when it wears off, actually.

Tianeptine is available in the United States.  Tianeptine has not been approved by the FDA and is not regulated.  Which means you can't get a prescription for it, but you can legally purchase it from various places including ebay.

^I'm in the US and interested in the Tianeptine. Can I get a local doctor to at least monitor me while on it it, or will it be "endorsing bad choices" on his part?  I mean, if I was, say, abusing alcohol, the doctor would still see me but tell me to do it less often (but not zero...so it is a harm minimization thing). 

I don't think Parnate is available in the UK as I asked about it. That said it sounds like a nightmare to be on with all the dietary requirements you have to adhere to!!!

So I'm incorporating L-Arginine into my meds regime which will be now Abilify 15mg, Mirtazapine 45mg and L-Arginine 500mg. Funny thing is I've taken it before but forgot I had. Anyways from reading other threads I understand it may help battle anhedonia so I'll just have to see although I'm not feeling very confident about it. :-(

Anhedonia is a symptom of depression. Keep trying different anti depressants until one doesn't cause the blunting effect, which is a side effect rather than the desired effect.

If you find the right SSRI/SNRI/TCA etc, you will be able to feel emotions, and pleasure again.

The highest likelehood for the ones to work for us, with dopamine suppressed systems, which depression is causing, drugs with 5ht2c atagonism are desirable.

Fluoxetine, Mirtazapine, TCAs.

NSI-189 is not yet approved, but if you want to seek it, you can with some googling

there are those that are anhedonic without depression symptoms though..not everyone with anhedonia is depressed..

the USA doesnt have meds to treat anhedonia either..they will likely give you welbutrin which is only mildly effective at best..

Im sure your aware (as you are one the most insightful and anhedonia educated people here,) I figure it was just a fast response.... but lets be cure Anhedonia is not just a symptom of depression. I personally don't have depression and quite a number people suffering from it do not meet the criteria for classical depression. It has also been linked to borderline personality disorder...  schizophrenia... parkinsons disease... list goes on and one. Basically it can hit with any issue upstairs. Im quite confident it can hit with no other problem. The medical community needs to get it thru their head that is needs be a separate diagnosis. Maybe if they get over this "its part of depression" crap they could get down to some serious search for a treatment.

To the OP. Its not just the UK; no country has found a med/treatment that totally works. That's one the reasons for this forum... doctors have given up on us so we are trying help each other search for the cure. Sooner or latter we are going to come to a conclusion.