Sign in to follow this  
undertheblackclouds

Mirtazapine And Weight Gain

Like almost everyone else I've put on 30 lbs over 2 months with Remeron. Absolutely love the fact it makes me sleep so well. I went from 3 hours a night of restless sleep to 12 hours solid sleep in one day. But the time has come, I weaned down from 30 mg to 15 mg in the last week and will try taking it alternate day until stopping completely. My pdoc also gave me a prescription for imovane to help me sleep. I'll let you know how it goes.

hi maureens,

did your remeron stop working for you or is your pdoc taking you off of it because of weight gain? do let us know how things go for you.

Been on Mirtazapine for over 6 months now and my mood is improving. I gained a stone on Mirtazapine in a month but have finally lost it as the doctor gave me orlistat to help with weight loss. It is so hard to lose weight as I am on these pills and also having a pre existing medical condition that makes you gain weight- PCOS.

I am so glad for this anti depressant though as I am now sleeping well and I no longer want to harm myself.

Been on Mirtazapine for over 6 months now and my mood is improving. I gained a stone on Mirtazapine in a month but have finally lost it as the doctor gave me orlistat to help with weight loss. It is so hard to lose weight as I am on these pills and also having a pre existing medical condition that makes you gain weight- PCOS.

I am so glad for this anti depressant though as I am now sleeping well and I no longer want to harm myself.

hi akanassi,

i'm glad that you mood is finally improving. it's good that your doc has given you something to help with your weight. the mood is what keeps us going and looking at things in a more positive way.

Like almost everyone else I've put on 30 lbs over 2 months with Remeron. Absolutely love the fact it makes me sleep so well. I went from 3 hours a night of restless sleep to 12 hours solid sleep in one day. But the time has come, I weaned down from 30 mg to 15 mg in the last week and will try taking it alternate day until stopping completely. My pdoc also gave me a prescription for imovane to help me sleep. I'll let you know how it goes.

hi maureens,

did your remeron stop working for you or is your pdoc taking you off of it because of weight gain? do let us know how things go for you.

Hi,

No it was my choice to stop the remeron. My depression is more under control now and I continue to take Wellbutrin and Cipralex. Remeron worked like nothing else, sleeping and emotionally better but it felt kind of like a sledgehammer approach. Doing well so far with the Immovane to sleep though it leaves a metallic taste in your mouth. Went the the cottage this weekend and ate WAY too much and got home and nervously checked the scales and I'd lost a pound. I think it is helping that I have more energy and moving faster now.

Will keep updating. Thanks for asking.

Maureen

hi maureens,

Hi,

No it was my choice to stop the remeron. My depression is more under control now and I continue to take Wellbutrin and Cipralex. Remeron worked like nothing else, sleeping and emotionally better but it felt kind of like a sledgehammer approach. Doing well so far with the Immovane to sleep though it leaves a metallic taste in your mouth. Went the the cottage this weekend and ate WAY too much and got home and nervously checked the scales and I'd lost a pound. I think it is helping that I have more energy and moving faster now.

Will keep updating. Thanks for asking.

Maureen

hi maureens,

i'm glad that things may be looking up for you with the weight gain. please do keep us posted on how it goes for you.

I have only just found this forum and wow - it's been so helpful already. I have been battling really severe depression for 6 months or so. I was in a 9 year violent relationship - and after finally getting out of that, and getting the courage to start a new relationship, the new guy sexually assaulted me :( So I have lots of emotional issues relating to all of that stuff, which I'd kept buried for so long, and now they've all come to the surface as this depression. I was on citalopram to begin but it didn't work at all, so was switche to mirtazapine, first 15mg and now 30mg. The one good thing about this med is it helps so much with my sleeping - I've gone from no sleep at all to having a good 7 hours a night. But it doesn't seem to be helping with the depression, and oh my god - the weight gain is horrific!! I just suddenly started noticing that none of my clothes were fitting me, I've gained over half a stone in 3 weeks. My appetite is crazy, I want to eat all of the time, and because I tend to comfort eat anyway, it's really hard to control these cravings. I just don't know what to do! Went back to the docs today and she wants me to carry on for 3 more weeks to see if it helps with the depression at all. Is that likely if it hasn't been working now? I've been on 30mg for 3 weeks now. I'm just so concerned about the weight gain because it's making me feel even more depressed - and being hungry all the time is awful - if the mirtazapine was helping my mood I could put up with the weight gain but as it is I feel I'm getting fat for nothing :(

These meds are so difficult to get right, aren't they? I start therapy on Friday though too, so really hoping that can help. It's just so frustrating feeling so low and nothing helping at the moment.

Hi Emma,

You say you haven't noticed an improvement in depression with Mirtazapine but I wonder what your expectations are. This drug in not an SSRI like your previous medication. It doesn't induce a "who gives a s**t!" type haze like some other anti-depressants, at least not in my experience. Little by little you (I) realise that some days you feel okay, a bit better. You can take stock of your situation and make plans for the future. I think it is very important, and it does take an effort, to be active while using this drug. Almost everybody gains weight while in Mirtzapine - the appetite is definitely increased (I believe it is sometimes prescribed for anorexia) so we have to try to snack in a healthy way - apples instead of Mars bars...

From what you say you've had good reason to be depressed but I would urge you to give this medication a chance, at least another couple of months.

Good luck,

Ricardo

Hello, my first post on here. I have been on mirtazapine for about 12 months now. There is no doubt that I feel better on it although it took some getting used to as it was making me very tired. Although I was taking it before bed and it was helping me sleep, I was very groggy in the mornings and struggling to get up around 10am (I was off work at the time). I'm usually up around 5.30am. Anyway I got used to it and have been back at work for 7 months.

However it has definitely caused me to gain weight. My eating habits are very regular and I don't eat between meals - I'm sure that the medication did not increase my appetite at all. But I put on about 16lbs and couldn't understand why. I did not attribute the gain to my medication. But recently I decided to try and stop the medication. I weaned myself off it fairly slowly and then altogether. To my surprise the weight started coming off, about 3lb a week over a three week period. Unfortunately I was starting to feel bad again and my sleep was very disturbed so I started taking the medication again. After the first week I had put on 5lbs which was a complete mystery because my eating habits hadn't changed. I only then tried to work out what else had changed in my life and the only one of note was going back on Mirtazapine. I checked the leaflet and sure enough weight gain is listed as a common side effect, which led me to google 'mirtazapine weight gain' and so to here.

I'm a bit lost as to what to do now. I was feeling quite pleased with myself for looking better with the weight loss but my belly is back now. Against that, I feel fine mentally. I'll go back to the doctors next week and see if there is an alternative she can suggest and post again then.

For what it's worth -- I've been on Remeron since February '10 (that's about seven months) and I've lost 25 lbs on it. Of course, I've had some brutal chemotherapy and abdominal surgery....I suspect that's caused some weight loss, whaddya think? But I've got to say I never had the munchies. I titrated up to 45 mgs pretty quickly, so I didn't experience the hunger or sedation.

Remeron was an awesome antidepressant -- the most potent, fastest acting AD I've ever been on. Unfortunately, it's pooped out. I took it up to 60 mgs for awhile, but it didn't help. Four to five good months is better than nothing, but the poop-out is SO disappointing.

Edited by Deet

Hi all i am very new to this forum and totally agree that mirtazapine directly piles on weight. i am a qualified fitness instructor and played semi pro football. i was always naturally slim but then i started the mirt. That was in 2006 and i have to admit it is incredibly strong and helps alleviate depression. However I have put on close to 4 stone in four years. for the past two years i've trained my backside off at the gym 4 times per week and eat sensibly. it really makes no difference to my weight. i too have tried eating 1000 calories per day and burning 500 per day and still impossible to shift the weight. i am embarrased to tell peoplim a qualified fitness instructor and train 4 times per week as the look straight at my stomach in disbelief. i am 99.9999% certain that its a direct cause of weight gain as apposed to the amount of food u eat. if it wasn't id have easily lost a lot of weight with my caloric intake and burned cals. I also use a protein shake that has l-carnitine, green tea extract, flax seed and cla in it. theses are all fat burning aids and combined with my training routine which is high reps and low weights on the SAME day as high intensity cardio intervals i STILL CANNOT SHIFT THE WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the doctor will never admit that the mirt does this but trust me it does! I am now down to 7.5mg per night and in the new year i aim to come off it. In the last week i have reduced from 15mg to 7.5 and have lost 2kg already! not even eating superbly healthy either! is that a coincidence?????? If i did not exercise i'd be 20 stone without a doubt! i am 14stone now but my stomach makes me look pregnant. the only thing that affects my confidence now is being fat - well fat for me! for anyone else who suffers depression i am a writer so please check out my website "Please PM Member for Link"

Edited by Trace
Link Removed as per TOS

Mirtazipine (Remeron) is the worst drug ever!!!!! :veryangry: YES, it made me sleep sooo much better, helped to alleviate depression :smilingteeth: , but I have gained so much weight on Mirtazipine. I took it in 2001 along with severeal other medicines. A friend of mine was honest enough to tell me that I looked like she could stick a pin in me and pop me :tear2: . I knew I gained weight I just didnt realize how much until I saw a photo of myself and I was horrified. I am petite. I gained 28 pounds in 2 months. I never realized it was the Remeron (mirtazipine). I just thought I was leading the good life and going out alot. I stick to a very healthy diet eating lots of organic fresh fruit and veggies and lean proteins along with some alcohol. Ihavent been to a fastfood restaurant in over 11 years.

Anyway, when I started running and reducing my meds and then totally got off them I did a diet detox and lost all the weight. I looked amazing for years. Then I started taking ambien again. When it stopped working on its own I added Remeron. And sure enough those pounds piled right on. They should make this drug illegal. Sorry but I HATE being fat! There has got to be a better way. I refuse to go out and buy more clothes. So, I have started running again 3x's week. Its not enough. I think I am going to have to run twice a day and go for longer runs. So frustrated. Thanks for letting me vent.

Anyone have suggestions on helping me sleep better...other than drugs. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Hi,

I have been taking mirt. for 7 months. i gained 30 pounds in the first 3, and then it levelled out once i stopped fitting into my clothes and so changed my diet.

nothing special, i just stopped caring to eat certain foods, no motivation at all. eventually i just ate anything bland, like rice, vegetables, or porridge, the same food everyday. yep, plain, bland food. then i found myself unable to get to my minimum a day cause i stopped caring to eat food, and had to force it down my throat everyday so i wouldnt burn out at work. it was really weird, i have *never experienced that with food before.

anyway, i didnt lose any weight, i just stopped gaining. im assuming this drug has told my brain that a different type of body is more acceptable, and that it should send different signals for how to deal with food/etc. but i dont know enough to look into this idea.

anyway, the main problem i have on mirtazapine is that i just dont care enough about anything to change my life for the better. i just live a mildly pleasant existance. this drug has completely changed my lifestyle. i should be worried i dont care about anything, really. but im not.

Hello

Yes, here is yet another victim to the weight gain side effect of Mirtazapine :-(

I was borderline obese before I needed ADs and had just managed to loose 7lbs only to find 2 months of Mirtazapine to have gained 11lbs. My question is has ANY ONE on this med managed to loose the weight whilst still taking it or have you had to switch?

I ask this because my depression is 90% better now although I don't want to rush into saying I'm fine and it was just a blip in life because I know it I'm not and it isn't...if that makes sense, there are many other issues in my life which caused my drepression. The weight issue though was a player in my becoming depressed also the additional health risks of being over weight are a worry. So if anyone could offer me some hope that this is temporary and will stop or, even better, reverse I'd love to know. Or should I go back to my Dr and ask for a re-assessment or different drug?

Many thanks

Hello

Yes, here is yet another victim to the weight gain side effect of Mirtazapine :-(

I was borderline obese before I needed ADs and had just managed to loose 7lbs only to find 2 months of Mirtazapine to have gained 11lbs. My question is has ANY ONE on this med managed to loose the weight whilst still taking it or have you had to switch?

I ask this because my depression is 90% better now although I don't want to rush into saying I'm fine and it was just a blip in life because I know it I'm not and it isn't...if that makes sense, there are many other issues in my life which caused my drepression. The weight issue though was a player in my becoming depressed also the additional health risks of being over weight are a worry. So if anyone could offer me some hope that this is temporary and will stop or, even better, reverse I'd love to know. Or should I go back to my Dr and ask for a re-assessment or different drug?

Many thanks

If I were you and mirtazapine were working for me, I wouldn't want to change it. Talk to your doctor. My doctor added Wellbutrin and that has helped. If you're only 90% better, it may just be what you need. Talk to your doctor as there are ways around this.

Hey there. Actually, I lost weight on mirtazapine. I gained a little when I started, but lost it when I started working again. Yes, it causes a mild desire to eat late at night, but I just eat a piece of fruit or yogurt. I have been on mirtazapine for around 8 months and I am the same weight as when I started it. On the other hand, I gained close to 8 kg in four months when I was on Paxil. I guess it is the same old story of different working differently for each unique person.

Edited by francisdaniel

I have never met a drug like this before in my life. I think if you are depressed, need/want to gain weight, then this is your miracle drug. I was not that person. I was indeed depressed, but was already overweight. Why my pdoc put me on this drug I will never understand. I gained about 15lbs in a month. It's not the drug that causes you to gain weight, but it does cause you to have a massive appetite. I could not shove enough food in my mouth fast enough. It did help with my mood, and my sleep but not when I saw the scales. I ended up going off it as the bad outweighed the good in the end.

If you're already struggling with weight then you'll be very lucky if you can take this drug and not put on anything. Last year I went through the process of losing over 40 lbs. Seven months on this drug I have put it all back on and then some. With this comes blood pressure issues and health problems so am stopping taking it.

I feel even more depressed after reading this thread.

I am already over weight and have an underactive thyroid which makes losing weight a challenge at the best of times.

I started Mirtazapine two weeks ago. 15mg for one week then up to 30mg. My mood is no better, I still cant sleep but my appetite has gone off the scale. I am hungry all the time.

I am now wondering why on earth I have been prescribed this drug and not at all sure I want to keep taking it. Finding out today that it is often prescribed to anorexics to stimulate appetite has just about finished me off!

I also gained weight (1 1/2 stone or so) when I took mirtazapine for 6 months (starting from being a bit underweight through not looking after myself properly or eating 3 proper meals a day). However, it worked its magic and I began to feel stable in mood, enough so that I was confident to start tapering off it again. I tapered off over the course of a month and have been totally off for two weeks now. In that time I've lost a little bit of the weight, probably now at a good healthy weight.

While I don't have suggestions for how to lose weight while on the pills, and definitely wouldn't say to go off them altogether, especially if they are starting to help you, be reassured that it might not be so difficult to lose the weight in the future when you are stable enough to come off them.

I feel even more depressed after reading this thread.

I am already over weight and have an underactive thyroid which makes losing weight a challenge at the best of times.

I started Mirtazapine two weeks ago. 15mg for one week then up to 30mg. My mood is no better, I still cant sleep but my appetite has gone off the scale. I am hungry all the time.

I am now wondering why on earth I have been prescribed this drug and not at all sure I want to keep taking it. Finding out today that it is often prescribed to anorexics to stimulate appetite has just about finished me off!

If you struggled with weight in the past then stay **** away from this drug. Or if you want, go to the gym everyday just to control the steady incrementation of weight gain. But it's very hard to lose weight on because in my experience it makes you gain weight directly and increases your appetite at the same time. I feel like I've been short-changed - sacrificed my physique to take this drug and have slept half of the last 7 months but haven't felt any better at all.

I was on Zispin for about 8 months, during which I lost 2 stone, and developed a complete aversion to most food. I couldn't watch TV cookery programmes or food ads. Supermarket shopping was a nightmare. All I could buy was cheese, bread and crisps. I lived on one cheese sandwich - which could take half an hour to force myself to eat - and a packet of crisps. I was also becoming more and more depressed.

The psychiatrist I was seeing increased the Zispin as he thought the problem was that I needed more - he didn't believe that this lack of appetite was due to Zispin. Eventually, after begging him to be put back on Amitriptyline as I felt suicidal, he agreed. Within a week, I was eating again, and had regained all my former interest in cooking and eating. What a relief!

He told me most people gained weight on Zispin, well, not me. It was a horrible experience.

I was on Zispin for about 8 months, during which I lost 2 stone, and developed a complete aversion to most food. I couldn't watch TV cookery programmes or food ads. Supermarket shopping was a nightmare. All I could buy was cheese, bread and crisps. I lived on one cheese sandwich - which could take half an hour to force myself to eat - and a packet of crisps. I was also becoming more and more depressed.

The psychiatrist I was seeing increased the Zispin as he thought the problem was that I needed more - he didn't believe that this lack of appetite was due to Zispin. Eventually, after begging him to be put back on Amitriptyline as I felt suicidal, he agreed. Within a week, I was eating again, and had regained all my former interest in cooking and eating. What a relief!

He told me most people gained weight on Zispin, well, not me. It was a horrible experience.

Jesus Christ that is certainly a unique response, still it's better to lose 2 stone then to gain it

I hope I can avoid the weight gain, I just started on Mirtazapine 2 weeks ago. Part of the reason for my depression is weight gain. I've become disabled in the last 17 months and can no longer walk. So it's very hard for me to lose weight because i just can't be all that active. So because my knee won't let me walk and has impacted my life in so many negative ways, I got depression, now I hope I just won't gain any more weight because it's not like I can just go for a walk or a run to get rid of it!

I hope I can avoid the weight gain, I just started on Mirtazapine 2 weeks ago. Part of the reason for my depression is weight gain. I've become disabled in the last 17 months and can no longer walk. So it's very hard for me to lose weight because i just can't be all that active. So because my knee won't let me walk and has impacted my life in so many negative ways, I got depression, now I hope I just won't gain any more weight because it's not like I can just go for a walk or a run to get rid of it!

Fingers crossed for you Sleepypuppy that you dont experience the weight gain. Sorry to haer about your knee - must make things especially difficult. Take care.

You should look for early portents in the first few months, if it keeps increasing then you might want to nip it in the bud before you end up like me putting on 45 lbs