Is Facebook Making You More Depressed?

Synth

If you're battling depression and anxiety (and if you're here you must be) you know what I'm talking about. All those happy pictures that friends continually post that make you feel much worse than you already do.

I have no "life is good" pictures to post so the last thing I need to see is one after another from people that have 'normal' happier lives than I do. 

I've already stopped following several people that continually post these type of pictures and/or posts and I'm close to pulling the plug on FB completely.

I just can't take anymore...

Hi Synth,

Yea I left facebook after my "meltdown" in February....haven't gotten on my account since then. I love technology but it's a true blessing and a curse at the same time. I hope you're able to find a balance or just hit the off switch.

(((Hugs)))

I can completely relate to this post. 

I used to have a FB a while back and deleted it because it severly effected my mental health. Unfortunately I am a Mass Comm student in college and had to create a new one for a project. I really didn't want to. And you know, the second you make an account, people start requesting you and you try and limit yourself. Sadly you fall back under the slump that is Facebook. I think Linkedin, while useful, Instagram and Facebook all have the "look at me" fest. A lot of people only share their happiest moments and it really starts to skew with your perception of how happy people really are. I felt a lot better deleting FB the first time. I'm not sure If I can now since I have been managing social media accounts, but I want out as soon as I can. We are not used to being exposed to that number of people at one time and of course it is usually nothing but baby pictures, weddings, parties, achievements and such. I had someone on my FB feed gloat about their engagement. He was like, in case you didn't see this. I kind of wanted to roll my eyes. I'm not the one to be jealous about people's success but it is really thrown in your face on there. Sorry for my ranting.

I hope you can have a way get off the FB pull and pull the plug to give you some of your life back. It is very common for other people's depression to sink even further, especially when we compare ourselves. It was one of the best things I did. When I deleted my account the first time, an enormous weight lifted off my back. Best feeling ever! But do what you think is best. whatever you chose, hope it work out :)

Oh Fakebook?  Yes, I can totally relate.

I couldn't stand looking at any more photos of everyone's perfect kids, perfect pets, perfect food, perfect spouse/bf/gf/partner, perfect vacation, perfect selfies, etc. so I stopped going on about 6 months ago.  I was never a huge fan of FB to begin with so I don't miss it at all.

However, it didn't make me depressed it made me angry that I was wasting so much time every day wading through the piles of crap that people post.  Half of the people that post all that "look at me, look at me!  i'm so wonderfu! and perfectl" garbage are the most miserable people I know with some of the most dysfunctional lives you could imagine.

If FB doesn't lower your IQ by at least 20 points, you got off easy.

I deactivated my Facebook account about 18 months ago. Although I miss out on family news, I am comfortable with my decision. It was making me feel even worse about myself. Plus, my family complained that I never posted anything happy or "normal" (I am "card carrying" geek). I gave it up for Lent and never restored it. One less tool I have to compare myself to people and come out looking like crap.

I can not deal with facebook people would ignore me on there and I started telling off people who were ignorning me and telling them I don,t need them or anyone else,if everyone is going to ignore me I am going to ignore everyone back.i should delete mine because I embrass myself on there with some of the stuff I put up.I have so many posts I had to lock everyone I know probably thinks im psycho it pi**es me off just thinking about it.

I rarely get on my main FB account.  I keep it active because my friends/family use it and sometimes send me invites or message on there otherwise I would delete it.  At times, all the postings of people's progressing lives or 100% happiness irks me.  It all seems too good to be true all the time and it still causes me distress cause it's usually things I want in life but not have yet achieved and things I can't do all on my own like having kids and getting married.   The posts tend to send me into comparison mode so I avoid FB like the plague to keep my sanity. 

I have a second FB account for my interests in different groups and hobbies so I can access the FB groups.  I like that account.  No one knows about it but me.

Edited by zenzang

Yes I hate FB. If I already feel bad I certainly need to stay away from FB.. I already unfollowed some people who seem to have the perfect life, I just get so sad to see pictures of happy couples with there children. Not that I don't want others to be happy but it makes me sad because I feel like I will never have them.