Do You Feel Worse At The Weekend?

mark88

I don't know why, but at the weekend my depression gets worse. 
Its not because I work during the week (I only work 8 hours a week)

I do nothing during the week, and nothing during the weekend, its the same as any other day but.....Its hard to explain?

my depression usually gets worse on the weekend. I dont know why. But when i think weekend to me i think about alcohol and going out drinking. Although i know that it'll make me worse i will still drink. 

I wont ever go out and drink with people. I will drink on my own. 
People in the UK relate the weekend for days to go out and party 

I am not sure if it's worse on weekends.  I think if I have too much unstructured time, things get worse. 

It will be interesting to see how other members respond to your question, Mark88.  It's definitely a good one.  Thanks for raising this,

For me it depends.If I have something planned it`s ok.But during the week there`s more structure than the weekend.I know I`m a total dork for this but I sort of like routine and during the weekend there is less of it and it sometimes makes me feel worse.

The weekend can either be a lot worse, or a lot better....I can never predict. I too have a lot of unstructured time, working very minimally as a freelance writer....so when the weekends come and everyone is out doing fun things, I get depressed. But sometimes, I sleep better knowing that it is 'normal' to relax and do nothing on the weekends for some people. I suppose I just don't know what most people do on the weekends because I'm usually caught up in my moods,

Usually during the week I think the weekend is going to be better. Then it comes around and it feels worse.

Until fairly recently I was one of the "normal" people that  LaurynJcat referred to.  I still remember how much I used to relish the time off with my family!

Now it just feels like more free time to feel miserable. I still plan things and do stuff but my mind doesn't let me enjoy any of it. So by the end of the weekend, the work days seem like they might be a relief. But then they're not really. So the cycle continues. 

Guess I need to try harder...maybe someday it will be different.

I agree with Lauren, when I'm feeling low the weekends are hard for me because I know that everyone else is out having a good time with their friends, boyfriends/girlfriends, families and they're not wasting their weekends like I am. Home with no one to really enjoy the days off with. That gets me depressed. And instead of asking friends to hang out which might make me feel better at the moment, my anxiety holds me back and I just stay home instead. Moping.

Hope that makes sense for you.

I work on the weekends and it gets to me some because I used to at least hang with my friend Ryan on Fridays or Saturdays playing guitar or something. Also because of that everyone works when I'm off... So I'm simply alone the majority of the time. Wouldn't mind having a girlfriend but I have really bad luck with women in my area. So for me I'd say the weekends are worse because at work I'm by myself and my mind just seeps into a depressed state.

My depression and anxiety gets much worse on the weekend and they're very hard to get through. I work full time during the week and I'm not that bad during weekday nights but come Saturday morning, that all changes.  My head quickly gets filled with anxious thoughts and feeling awful that I have such an empty life now and nothing to do. Basically, I'm in my own little horrible, isolated world. I also dwell a lot in the past and that makes me feel much worse. I know what I should be and should not be doing but that doesn't help me at all. 'Normal' people I know look forward to the weekend (like I used to) and do fun things while I loathe it and can't wait for it to end. There are hobbies I used to do on the weekend that I can't bring myself to do anymore. I want to but the anxiety and depression I feel is just too overwhelming. 

The only thing I look forward to is drinking and watching old movies by myself.

Male/55/recently divorced/alone

Edited by Synth

Most of my depressive stuff is related to working/obligations, so mine is worse on the weekdays. During the weekend, usually I have a point after which I stop doing all that stuff and just let it go and do fun things or things that are not stressful, so usually the weekend is spent doing good things, so I feel much better because I'm not having to deal with the stressors. If I am working, I don't know why but working on the weekend doesn't bother me that much, it feels better than on the weekdays. Maybe that's because I expect myself to do a million productive things during the week, which is additional stress, but if I am working on the weekend, it means that I have to, and I usually am not making myself do other productive things on top of it, the goal is to work and be done with it, then I can have fun, so still is less stress.

It can be either for me as it all depends on my surroundings and what triggers the depressive feelings. Sometimes it's the weekends because I can be exposed to the triggering factors, other times it can be during the week because of the stress I am exposed to at that time. It really sucks because I never can prepare.

• 2 years later...

I first felt this way when I was in college. Or that’s the first I remember feeling this way. I still get it every so often. I’m like you, expect I don’t even work and don’t have friends, besides my mom. When I was in college, part of it was I thought everyone else was out having fun and had fun, exciting things to do for the weekend. While I was at home watching tv or doing work for school. The most exciting thing I would probably do over the weekend would be going grocery shopping and maybe the thrift store with my mom. Even though I don’t have a job, I still kind of get this depression when the weekend comes. Not every weekend. I think it is because I still think that everyone is out having fun with their friends and families, while I’m at home doing nothing. And I think part of it is being lonely. 

I feel the same way. I think that when I'm working, I can at least go home and say, "Good job, you were productive and got through another day."

Weekends I'm left alone trying to fill the time, and sometimes there's just not enough to fill it with. I can watch a movie, but that only takes two hours. I can work on some music, but that'll last for what, one or two? There's still a lot of the day left.

Funny how it's possible to look forward to the weekend during a tough workday and then feel completely differently about it when it arrives.