I am new here, but i am struggling with anxety for quite some time. I wanted to ask if anyone feels anxious after smoking few cigarettes. I used to smoke to calm myself , but lately smoking makes my stomach upset and after some time i start sweating. I know that i should stop smoking, but it is not that easy, i find relief in ciggarets. If anyone else had similar issue, please give me some idea on how to deal with that.

Nicotine raises your heart rate even tho we feel smoking calms us, physiologically it's actually an "upper" not a "downer".

U feel calm because of the addiction and when u get the nicotine u momentarily relax because your craving is satisfied but it does elevate your heart rate and blood pressure when u smoke

Smoking is tough one im off and on for years currently off since June 14 except one night I dranj alcohol and smoked about five cigarettes . So feeling good about it for now I guess

• 1 month later...

and I was considering starting......because nothing seems to help my anxiety..

As a former smoker who knows how hard it is to quit (took me four attempts to kick it completely), I would say, if you haven't started, DON'T! Horrible, horrible, horrible (not to mention expensive, and in more ways than one) habit. Nicotine, gram for gram, is more addictive than her0!n (!!)

::gets off the soapbox::

Edited by LonelyHiker

When I first started smoking I found that a cigarette would calm my nerves when I was feeling a little anxious. My anxiety is socially based, so it was also helpful to have something to duck away from the crowd with, or something to strike up a little small talk about outside. I still will usually reach for my pack when I'm feeling anxiety.

But, even as someone who does this, I have to admit that it doesn't actually help. What *actually* helps is that it forces me to take a minute and breath. Mind you, I'm breathing toxins, but it's still that slow and calm and measured breathing, even though accompanied by the smoke. It also forces me to step away from whatever I'm doing for a minute, and I always feel more clear headed when I come back to it.

But, the actual smoking itself, like others have mentioned, isn't helpful. It elevates the heart rate and so it can actually increase anxiety, as OP mentioned. Plus, the addiction can give you the jones for a smoke more and more often, which will also increase anxiety. Factor in the added expense (more anxiety) and the social view of it (more anxiety - especially of the social kind) and you're way further behind.

Plus, as LonelyHiker said, it's REALLY hard to quit. I'm working on it, and eventually I'll kick it for good, but I honestly wish I'd never started to begin with.

As a former smoker who knows how hard it is to quit (took me four attempts to kick it completely), I would say, if you haven't started, DON'T! Horrible, horrible, horrible (not to mention expensive, and in more ways than one) habit. Nicotine, gram for gram, is more addictive than her0!n (!!)

I know it's not the best solution, but I've tried so many drugs for anxiety and nothing seems to help.........

I haven't smoked in 7 1/2 months. Been having such a bad time lately, I keep thinking about getting a pack just to get through this rough patch, but I know if I do, I will be back to full-time smoking in no time.

Sucks because those first few after having quit for awhile are the best. Arg I want one now :(

I know it's not the best solution, but I've tried so many drugs for anxiety and nothing seems to help.........

I can totally get where you're coming from ladysmurf, though I do agree with LonelyHiker. Smoking often seems like an option, even if not an answer, but I can promise you coming from someone with anxiety who is already a smoker that you won't be happy with yourself for it. Admittedly there are times where it seems like a temporary solution, but there are also times where alcohol seems that way. And like alcohol being a depressant, smoking is a stimulant, and equally as likely to make the anxiety harder to deal with in between smokes.

*Hugs* Anxiety is frustrating because it can get to where you're anxious about your anxiety, and anxious about finding a solution. That just snowballs, so I understand the inclination! Could you try having non-smoking breaks instead? Do all the same things us smokers do - go outside, take 5-10 minutes and stand there, breathing and trying to not think about things. You can chit chat if there's people around (we do that a lot) or just wander a little.

I haven't smoked in 7 1/2 months. Been having such a bad time lately, I keep thinking about getting a pack just to get through this rough patch, but I know if I do, I will be back to full-time smoking in no time.

Sucks because those first few after having quit for awhile are the best. Arg I want one now :(

Congratulations on quitting!!!! *Hugs* you should be really proud of that!

My dad quit smoking years before I was born. But now 35-40 years later, every once in awhile, he craves one in a big way. Usually when he's bored or standing around outside. When I was a kid, he used to keep suckers in the van to deal with it. I guess it's not as strong, so at least I'm hopeful the cravings will fade!! :)

Ladysmurf - Have you tried meditating? There are all kinds of very good guided meditations available for download, absolutely free. Google "mindfulness meditation download". Lots of good stuff out there!

Don't gamble with the cigs - trust me, it ain't worth it!

my primary suggested it...but it costs too much money..for the program..perhaps once i find a full time job and a better insurance, I can look into it. i was also considering martial arts but thats like $120 per month so I can't really afford that either.

Thanks for advice...

Not to belabour the point, but I'll toss the cost of cigarettes out there since I've spent some time lately totalling numbers. I'll leave aside the health costs because I live in Canada, so I have no idea how much things would be in the States for long term treatments - plus, it all depends on if you would end up needing it.

So, just for the cost of cigarettes, assuming you're smoking an average brand like mine, you'll likely pay somewhere around 10 bucks a pack. (Again, this is based on Canadian prices, so your mileage will vary. They're generally between 7 and 13 dollars, depending on brand and quality and etc.)

If you're smoking purely to address your anxiety, let's assume that you'll do that about as often as I do. So, let's assume maybe 3 cigarettes a day for that. Very few people actually stick at that low of a number, so you'd likely end up smoking about 5-10 per day. That factors days with higher anxiety, the cravings that you'll develop and the extra smoking that comes with it being a habit. With 25 cigarettes in a pack, that totals $730-1460 per year, assuming you're able to stick to that few smokes. So, if you ended up smoking 10 per day, that would be about the same cost as that martial arts class. (Comes out to $121.67 per month.)

And then that brings us back to the OP, where it may end up making anxiety more difficult to deal with ... or not actually helping.

That 7 1/2 months is SO not down the drain!! You fell off the wagon. No shame in that. It happens. You can smoke or throw out the rest of the pack and start again. Doesn't mean you've lost that time and doesn't mean you're back to smoking as a smoker.

And hey, "normal, everyday stressors" make me want to smoke too. Most people have trouble dealing with stress.

Definitely feeling this topic right now! I just quit smoking a month ago, but my anxiety is kicking up and I'm finding myself wanting to light up...

I agree that the part of smoking that helps anxiety is really taking a break and breathing deeply, and its hard to replace that with meditation once the nicotine takes hold. 

If any of you are interested in quitting, I wonder if wellbutrin would help? I take it for depression and have found that, for the first couple weeks, it made me feel nauseous every time I tried to smoke. I ended up quitting when I was going up a dose and knew that the side effect would kick in for a while as an extra incentive to avoid smoking. I think wellbutrin is actually used for smoking cessation on its own, too (but keep in mind that it might interfere with anxiety? not sure). ...

best of luck!

Yep, Wellbutrin is used as a smoking cessation aid - my doctor actually talked at one point about me trying it. I had a friend who tried it, but he wasn't on any anti-depressants or anti-anxieties when he did. He found it really difficult to come back down off of it, but it did help him to quit. So I guess it's a toss up - it might help you stop smoking, but it might be hard to get back off of.

I never liked cigarettes.  I was always the guy that partied and didn't smoke.  Then I met a friend.  He was like the person you're talking about.  You're so right we did roll it up later.  I hate thinking back to that time.  It was the best time in my life.  What does that say if the best time in my life was when I was homeless?