Finally Started Escitalopram / Lexapro, Exhausted

Hello AR! 

I'm just floating... I need a bump up, I believe. I go back to the gdoc on Friday. I'll request it then. My psychologist believes a bump would do me some good too. So, we'll see. Other than that, I'm doing... just doing.

I'm interested to know how you do with the increase. Keep us posted! 

I'm still on a bumpy ride. Had 2 somewhat better days but today is just horrid.

It's good to hear that he bumped you up. Let us know how that works for you. Hope you do well on it and don't see any new side effects.

How many weeks in now? 

Seems as if you should be stabilizing soon. 

Well, I got a bump up to 15mg for the fall and winter seasons. Hoping this does not bring back the good ole side effects.

How's everyone else doing? 

I had been doing fine on 20 mg but my pdoc encouraged me to go up to 30. I assume that's because I told him although I am free of anxiety (and very happy about that as it was quite a dominating emotion), I've still been feeling less than enthused or energetic about things.

Long story short, I've been titrating up to 30 for a couple weeks but not seeing the benefit. No horrible side effects except I can't wake up in the morning! I've slept through my alarm 4-5 times in a row and I'm groggy till afternoon. Normally I am an early bird and this messes up my day. I think I have to scale back to 20 and stay there. I wish my pdoc would listen when I tell him I may need something to address my dopamine levels and not simply an uber dose of lexapro.

Well, I got a bump up to 15mg for the fall and winter seasons. Hoping this does not bring back the good ole side effects.

I had been doing fine on 20 mg but my pdoc encouraged me to go up to 30. I assume that's because I told him although I am free of anxiety (and very happy about that as it was quite a dominating emotion), I've still been feeling less than enthused or energetic about things.

Long story short, I've been titrating up to 30 for a couple weeks but not seeing the benefit. No horrible side effects except I can't wake up in the morning! I've slept through my alarm 4-5 times in a row and I'm groggy till afternoon. Normally I am an early bird and this messes up my day. I think I have to scale back to 20 and stay there. I wish my pdoc would listen when I tell him I may need something to address my dopamine levels and not simply an uber dose of lexapro.

OOoo! :yuck:  

See, I'm afraid of the fatigue setting in again. When I first started on lex, it wiped me totally out for two weeks. I certainly don't want to go through that hibernation anytime soon. So, we'll see. This is day one.  

OOoo! :yuck:

See, I'm afraid of the fatigue setting in again. When I first started on lex, it wiped me totally out for two weeks. I certainly don't want to go through that hibernation anytime soon. So, we'll see. This is day one.  

I hope you don't even notice a change. When I went from 10 to 20 it wasn't bad at all. I think I have to stay at 20 though.

Hello! :) I have been reading this thread over a period of about a week and have finally made it through all the pages. :) I started 10 mg Lexapro on Sept. 19th, so I am currently on day 26. Haven't seen any side effects other than slight fatigue, jaw clinching and yawning. None of these bother me - I'd much rather deal with these than go back to my anxious, depressive state. I take Lex around 8 in the evening and it knocks me smooth out by about 11 and I do find it a little difficult to wake up in the morning, which is typically 7 am, and though I've always had difficulty getting up in the morning, it seems a little harder now.

This may be a long post. Sorry!! Let me just give a background here: around the first of September, I started feeling noticeably anxious and depressed. I didn't realize that it was depression that I was feeling, though. I just knew I had a terrible, dark feeling of despair coupled with terror. I was pretty much beside myself. I thought that this hit me out of nowhere but looking back, I've been on this downward spiral for awhile. I've always been an anxious person but it's like a switch was flipped and things took a nosedive within 2 or 3 days. I finally figured out what I was experiencing and went to see a doctor who obviously diagnosed me with anxiety and depression and wanted to immediately prescribe me something. I've always been extremely wary of medication, so I declined the meds and opted to see a therapist instead. That evening I talked to my sister, who is a physician, and she recommended Lexapro. At that point, I decided I'd take anything anybody threw at me. I just wanted to feel better. So a couple days later, on Sept. 19th, I started Lexapro and have been taking it since. Almost immediately, I started feeling noticeably better. Like many people have mentioned, my mornings were rough but I started feeling better as the day went on. About a week and a half ago, I started noticing that my mornings were anxiety-free and that I felt like my normal self pretty much all day. About 4 or 5 days ago, I started noticing that the anxiety would creep up on me during the day but I'd be able to shake it. A couple days ago, I started having rough mornings again, where I feel foreign to myself and extremely anxious. The anxiety comes and goes throughout the day, though I'm able to shake it pretty quickly. I'm wondering why I seem to be almost declining instead of getting better. I have a one-month follow-up appointment with my primary care physician tomorrow so I will address this with her and see if she thinks I should go up on dosage. What do you all think, based on your own experiences?

It's been great reading through this thread and feeling like I'm not alone. Thank you all for sharing!!

Hello Ej_sparrow! 

Welcome to the DF!  :welcomeani:

The eight week mark seems to be the sweet spot for positive consistent results from the Lex AND the elimination of side effects. You may want to give yourself a month or so to see what happens! 

Thank you for the welcome, El8ed! :) 

I am hopeful that I will be stable by the 6-8 week mark. I've seen improvements so far so here's to hoping!!! :) Went to my PCP today and she said to stay at current dose for now, which I wholeheartedly agree with. Follow-up in another month.

Hello! :) I have been reading this thread over a period of about a week and have finally made it through all the pages. :) I started 10 mg Lexapro on Sept. 19th, so I am currently on day 26. Haven't seen any side effects other than slight fatigue, jaw clinching and yawning. None of these bother me - I'd much rather deal with these than go back to my anxious, depressive state. I take Lex around 8 in the evening and it knocks me smooth out by about 11 and I do find it a little difficult to wake up in the morning, which is typically 7 am, and though I've always had difficulty getting up in the morning, it seems a little harder now.

This may be a long post. Sorry!! Let me just give a background here: around the first of September, I started feeling noticeably anxious and depressed. I didn't realize that it was depression that I was feeling, though. I just knew I had a terrible, dark feeling of despair coupled with terror. I was pretty much beside myself. I thought that this hit me out of nowhere but looking back, I've been on this downward spiral for awhile. I've always been an anxious person but it's like a switch was flipped and things took a nosedive within 2 or 3 days. I finally figured out what I was experiencing and went to see a doctor who obviously diagnosed me with anxiety and depression and wanted to immediately prescribe me something. I've always been extremely wary of medication, so I declined the meds and opted to see a therapist instead. That evening I talked to my sister, who is a physician, and she recommended Lexapro. At that point, I decided I'd take anything anybody threw at me. I just wanted to feel better. So a couple days later, on Sept. 19th, I started Lexapro and have been taking it since. Almost immediately, I started feeling noticeably better. Like many people have mentioned, my mornings were rough but I started feeling better as the day went on. About a week and a half ago, I started noticing that my mornings were anxiety-free and that I felt like my normal self pretty much all day. About 4 or 5 days ago, I started noticing that the anxiety would creep up on me during the day but I'd be able to shake it. A couple days ago, I started having rough mornings again, where I feel foreign to myself and extremely anxious. The anxiety comes and goes throughout the day, though I'm able to shake it pretty quickly. I'm wondering why I seem to be almost declining instead of getting better. I have a one-month follow-up appointment with my primary care physician tomorrow so I will address this with her and see if she thinks I should go up on dosage. What do you all think, based on your own experiences?

It's been great reading through this thread and feeling like I'm not alone. Thank you all for sharing!!

Welcome, e_j sparrow! There do seem to be a lot of ups-and-downs with this med at the beginning. It's great you are seeing some positive change, even if it isn't all at once. I started lex a few months ago to deal with some bad anxiety, too. The first time I woke up anxiety-free it was like I could breathe clearly again. I also recall the feeling you have, of being able to "turn off" anxious thoughts or release them without much effort. I hope things continue to improve for you.

Thank you, Birch! I certainly hope so too. Today has been a rough day. :( Very rough morning, where I woke up an hour before my alarm and promptly had a panic attack. Didn't get a break from the anxiety til I was headed to work and it came and went most of the morning. Starting to feel some relief now though, thankfully. Sunshine at last! 

My worst side effect was fatigue. I'm a morning person generally but after I started I was extremely tired. I even slept through two alarms in the mornings. The same thing happened when I temporarily increased my dose. It would take a few hours before I felt awake. Not fun.

I saw a lot of people on here saying they had bouts of increased anxiety initially. Hang in there! It should pass.

Well, I was all excited about how well this medication was working for me and how I had such minimal side effects and then a few days later things started going downhill. haha Such is life, I suppose. I'm getting headaches now and also experiencing significant fatigue. Just riding it out and hoping for the best. This board is so helpful in the meantime!

My worst side effect was fatigue. I'm a morning person generally but after I started I was extremely tired. I even slept through two alarms in the mornings. The same thing happened when I temporarily increased my dose. It would take a few hours before I felt awake. Not fun.

I saw a lot of people on here saying they had bouts of increased anxiety initially. Hang in there! It should pass.

Mm hmm. I'm experiencing the fatigue again since my dosage was upped to 15mg. 

Had significant anxiety this afternoon. So discouraging but after I took lex at 8 tonight, I felt better in about an hour. Which is weird because I didn't think it worked like that - like a Xanax or something. I guess it does. Or maybe it's the placebo effect. Either way, I'm feeling much better! Noticing some weird hot flashes after taking it this time. Don't remember that happening before.

I am having very very bad anxiety. Like impossible anxiety. I went to the ER last night and they gave me valium. That knocked me out for about 4 hours (5 mg) and then I woke up in a panic and have been anxious ever since. Is this normal? I'm talking MAJOR anxiety. Worse than I've ever had. I'm posting this on anther thread too, so I'm sorry about the duplication but I'm desperate to know if this is normal.

I am having very very bad anxiety. Like impossible anxiety. I went to the ER last night and they gave me valium. That knocked me out for about 4 hours (5 mg) and then I woke up in a panic and have been anxious ever since. Is this normal? I'm talking MAJOR anxiety. Worse than I've ever had. I'm posting this on anther thread too, so I'm sorry about the duplication but I'm desperate to know if this is normal.

I had a really bad anxiety attack. But I could attribute it to an event. I was in a facility surrounded by people I didn't know. That was the trigger. When I talked with my therapist, he said that it could happen again. He emphasized that knowing how to cope was what was important. 

Did something happen to trigger the attack? 

Whoa. That does not sound like an anxiety blip. Have you called your prescribing doctor? Maybe lex isn't right for you. I can see putting up with some temporary side effects but not long-lasting, high anxiety that drives you to the ER.

As an aside, I noted your earlier post about taking lex at night. I had to switch to doing that after 2 days of taking it in the morning. I've been taking it at night ever since. It works as a sedative on me most of the time.

Hope things get straightened around for you e_j sparrow. Let us know how you're doing today.