Therapy Question

The Purist

Any opinion on this would be appreciated.

I have been seeing the same therapist for around 4 months now.  This is how the session basically goes:  I talk she listens, if I want her input I have to ask her things like, "What do you think?"  I get a sentence and then nothing.  I blather on for around 97% of the session.  I realize that it does a lot of good to talk but am I missing something here?  This is not CBT or DBT but shouldn't she be interacting with me instead of nodding her head and making understanding faces.  I have not asked her about this.  Do I need to ask her for more input or a more....."Interactive Session."  I am out of my depths as I went through two AWFUL therapists before this one.  Any input would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Hi Purist. I totally relate to what you're going through. Sounds like the old fashioned way of conducting therapy. The reason I say that is because when I was first diagnosed 30 years ago, I went to an older psychiatrist who also did my therapy too. From what I remember he acted the same way. My suggestion to you, and I'm no professional but have to many therapists, is to directly ask her for a more interactive session as you've said. If she won't then I would seek out a new therapist. I know it's a pain but I've had to do before too.

Hang in there.

Hi Purist,

I also need more interaction.  I'm lucky b/c my therapist has suggestions and will ask questions any time she doesn't quite understand something.  I really appreciate that.

I would also be feeling like something's missing.

JMNeil's point is good too - that is definitely a style of therapy.  & I think it was popular in the 60's/70's?

But if it doesn't fit for you, then it is a good idea to bring it up if you possibly can.  Just saying what would suit you better is completely fair and reasonable.

Can you give us an update if you do bring it up?

It wasn't until my fourth therapist that I found someone who would actually have an honest, person-to-person conversation with me.  I'm not a test case or a specimen or an auto engine that's broken!

Brilliant Ratboy "I'm not a test case or a specimen or an auto engine that's broken!" and very true. SenorDomino "It's like talking to a wall, isn't it? Never did anything for me, felt like a waste of time" also well said.

I think the key here is that we patients/clients ought not accept this type of treatment. We can first see if they are willing to help us in the ways that we need and if not then it's time to move on and find a right fit.