Sign in to follow this  
Dachsund

Experiences With Latuda....please Respond

Anyone that is on Latuda, can you tell me when it started working for you, dosage, side effects, when or if they went away, and when it started really working. I have BP II depression and was put on it Friday and today is Sunday and I can already feel a difference. My terrible morning crying spells are gone and unlike Seroquel, I don't feel like a zombie. I'm on 40 mg and take it at night with 350 calorie meal. I do wake up every two hours though which is a pain. It only makes me vaguely sleepy. I'm wondering if this truly has the potential of actually making me my old happy self again and when or if this is it, meaning it stops the crying and horrid morning, can't get off the couch feeling. Any help with positive experiences would be appreciated. The more detail, the better.

I started Latuda about 7 months ago. It worked great without any noticeable side effects. In the past few weeks I have been waking up during the night with anxiety attacks. I take ambien to get to sleep but on most nights I still wake up at 3 or 4 a.m. I saw my pdoc last week and he upped my dose from 30 to 40. I haven't had as many episodes. I still feel like my depression is getting worse. When I wake up with the anxiety it seems to stay with me through the rest of the day. I am hoping this is temporary. The doc told me to give it three weeks to see if it improves. Sometimes I take it with the evening meal because I have trouble remembering to take it. When I do I often get a feeling of being anxious and sleepy at the same time. I was wondering if you had any of these problems and did they go away. I hope it keeps working for you. Maybe mine is temporary. I hope I don't have to go through another med change. Good luck.

I actually stopped it after two weeks bc my depression got worse and after trying so many antipsychotics for depression, came to the conclusion that they just DO NOT work for me. I now just take Cymbalta, Trileptal and Provigil and am finally feeling much better. I have BP II but no other symptoms other than a slight and Iran slight amt. of mania and always severe episodes of depression so I am done with antipsychotics. I hope it works better for you.

I was on 40mg Latuda a while back (within the past year) and it literally did nothing. Absolutely nothing. I have unipolar treatment resistent depression with psychotic features. I had no physical side effects and absolutely zero mental effects. So I got off it and went back to my 4mg Risperdal. Good luck!

I actually stopped it after two weeks bc my depression got worse and after trying so many antipsychotics for depression, came to the conclusion that they just DO NOT work for me. I now just take Cymbalta, Trileptal and Provigil and am finally feeling much better. I have BP II but no other symptoms other than a slight and Iran slight amt. of mania and always severe episodes of depression so I am done with antipsychotics. I hope it works better for you.

I also had a severe worsening of depression. I have never before felt like sleeping all day and isolating, but after tapering off of Abilify and starting Latuda, I was in the worst depression I had ever had in my life.

You're not alone! I had to go back on Abilify after a few days of Latuda. Now at least I'm functioning. 

Pdoc mentioned Latuda today due to worsening symptoms of depression. Based on testimony here I think I'll pass. Thanks for sharing, guys. Makes choices like this easier. Xo, C

On 7/26/2015 at 9:07 AM, Dachsund said:
Anyone that is on Latuda, can you tell me when it started working for you, dosage, side effects, when or if they went away, and when it started really working. I have BP II depression and was put on it Friday and today is Sunday and I can already feel a difference. My terrible morning crying spells are gone and unlike Seroquel, I don't feel like a zombie. I'm on 40 mg and take it at night with 350 calorie meal. I do wake up every two hours though which is a pain. It only makes me vaguely sleepy. I'm wondering if this truly has the potential of actually making me my old happy self again and when or if this is it, meaning it stops the crying and horrid morning, can't get off the couch feeling. Any help with positive experiences would be appreciated. The more detail, the better.

I noticed a significant effect from just 40mg. It was like a light switch. Night and day. My doctor wanted me to go up to 60mg, which we did. But my depression was getting worse, and we were coming up on Fall at this point, and having seasonal affective disorder it was guaranteed that things would continue to get worse. We tried to go up to 80mg but at 60mg and even more so at 80mg, I felt too much restlessness during the day. Bouncy legs and needing to get up and walk around. In retrospect, I could have gotten by with 40mg of Latuda if I had been taking an antidepressant. Hindsight is certainly 20/20 but I can only speculate at this point.

Edited by browri

Have been on 80mg for 18 months now and it works great on my depression. It started to work after just 2 days. I take it with Lamictal for bipolar n.o.s. (That's somewhere between type 1 and 2, I think).

Major side effect for me is an increased need for sleep... I sleep 9 hours a night now when I was sleeping just 6 before.

I'm seriously considering talking with my pdoc about going back on Latuda. I'm taking:

900mg Trileptal, 200mg Lamictal, 174mg Aplenzin, 2.5mg Zyprexa

The Zyprexa is making me gain hella weight. And my lipid panel is already terrible. The Trileptal is doing a good job on its own though of keeping me from getting snappy and irritable. And because it's immediate release, I know it's working because if I miss a dose, I get pretty reactive and touchy. The fact that happens though makes me feel even better about it. I do feel at this point that Trileptal, Lamictal, and Aplenzin are staple drugs for me that I don't want to get rid of. But Zyprexa feels like tough love. It's great for depression and mania. But at this point, Trileptal is handling the mania well, and when I try to go down to 2.5mg of Zyprexa (have been taking 5mg) my depression gets worse but I don't get that much more irritable, if at all. So if that really is the case, I want to shop elsewhere for something that isn't going to make me blow up like the Michelin man.

Latuda really worked well for my depression, and if you see my post further up, I felt at the time that I probably could have gotten by with 40mg had I been taking an AD, which I am now! Aplenzin is really good at helping me to find pleasure in things around me. SSRIs kept me from feeling sad. But Aplenzin (eq. to Wellbutrin XL) really helps me to get happy about things and feel genuine emotions. If that is the case, I wonder how Aplenzin and Latuda would behave together.

Is there anyone out there who has taken Wellbutrin with Latuda? Even Wellbutrin with an antipsychotic?

Ok so first I will give you my diagnosis then my Latuda experience. I went undiagnosed till 23 years old with Severe socialized anxiety disorder.  Got put on Paxil and 1 mg of Klonopin. That pretty much gave me my life back to a certain degree. I still had issues with always scanning a room and being very aware of my surroundings to the point where everything was just magnified. I fit the 100% description of haveing bipolar tendencies. So my doc added 10 mg of latuda. I take it 1 hour before bed. I then wake up like 4 hours later. Then Eventually fall back asleep. I tend to be very med sensitive. In the passed doctors tried adding small doses of antipsychotics like olanzapine and they all made me like very angry and stuff. I really want to stay on latuda,5 days so far.  Dunno why I wake up 4 hours after taking it. Also I should add day 1 I took it in the am and Still woke me up at 4-430 am. Switched to night, same thing. Any feed back appreciated. 

One thing to consider with Latuda is that doses up to 40mg can be activating. Then after 40mg they start to get sedating. So you may have to take it in the morning. That is a possibility.

That's the thing though. If I take it in the morning I feel so beyond drained and tired. Then 3 hours later I need to sleep. That's why I switched to an hour before bed. But that now makes me wake up 4 hours later. It's strange. 

Edited by SemiBiPolar