Anyone Else Struggle With Doing Housework?

It seems like I can never keep up with these things. I try to do a little every day, but it's never enough or I just run out of energy before I can even get to them. It's hard enough just taking care of myself, let alone another person, a pet, and the whole house. I wish I could figure out how to make it easier, but I haven't got a clue. There's always so much that needs cleaning. It makes my depression worse that I can't keep up. Even my yard and the exterior of the house looks bad, but the thought of actually putting on clothes and going outside makes it unbearable. I'm so embarrassed, because my neighbors all have beautiful yards and homes. I wish there was a way to "get over it". 

Edited by sweaterweather

It seems like I can never keep up with these things. I try to do a little every day, but it's never enough or I just run out of energy before I can even get to them. It's hard enough just taking care of myself, let alone another person, a pet, and the whole house. I wish I could figure out how to make it easier, but I haven't got a clue. There's always so much that needs cleaning. It makes my depression worse that I can't keep up. Even my yard and the exterior of the house looks bad, but the thought of actually putting on clothes and going outside makes it unbearable. I'm so embarrassed, because my neighbors all have beautiful yards and homes. I wish there was a way to "get over it". 

i have written a post very much like this one. I don't have any advice for you, but you aren't alone... at all.

I wish I had a good answer for you but I don't. I actually enjoy doing housework. It keeps my mind from drifting. I hope someone has some good suggestions for ya.

Are you for hire?

Do you do charity work?

Edited by freckledface

It's funny but when I start cleaning i find it hard to stop, I just want to clean everything, but my house at the moment is terrible.  I'm waiting for my son to go back to school and a bit of motivation and maybe I can get something done.  Otherwise I'll just have to wait til Abandoned gets here to do it for me. :smilingteeth:

I have the same problem sweater weather. It's so overwhelming most of the time that I don't know where to start so it just keeps getting more out of hand. I wish I could even do a small bit everyday (have tried it but it doesn't last long). I wish I knew how to get motivated to start and keep going with it. You are definitely not alone.

I guess I'll address this to anyone; moreso Sweaterweather.  Do you live alone or have any close friends?  I'm a male in my mid 50's who does live alone with no friends and am in the same situation.  I even avoid calling repairmen/handymen because of the embarrassment of how things look around here.  The infamous "they" say you need to do things for yourself, not others.  But to me if I had a girlfriend or someone else, it would give me more incentive to "get my act together."  It's tough doing things for yourself with no one else to enjoy or appreciate things you've done!

Something else I think about is the line between laziness, depression, or getting older.  Could not doing things around the house have something to do with laziness or age, or a combination of all three?  At work I get my job done, though getting tougher, and even clean up/pick up things after others with no problem.  But at home I'll walk past things that only take a few seconds to accomplish.  I get tired of having to FORCE myself to do things like the checkbook/paying bills and other routine tasks.

One thing that used to help me was convincing myself, "it ain't gonna get done by looking at it or thinking about it."  

It's so much easier losing games of solitaire on the computer than doing things that need to be done!

If anyone has any ideas, I would imagine they could get rich quick; but this seems to be a common problem - and I hate it!!!  But I'm also an idea person and maybe something out of the blue that's written (whether intentional or not) could end up being the answer for us.  So hopefully.... 

Are you for hire?

Do you do charity work?

This is funny. Thanks for the laugh. I'd like to sign up for Abandoned's services too, but I'm afraid there'd be a long waiting list. :smilingteeth: 

Making myself do housework is hard for me too. One thing that helps me a little is to try to do it in manageable sized pieces. "Clean the whole house" is too big a goal. I try for vacuum and dust one room. Then I try to feel proud of managing that instead of looking at all the other stuff that needs to be done.

I get overwhelmed with clutter. Biggest thing for me is to cut back on my material stuff. Less stuff = less cleaning. I try to keep as much stuff in cabinets and drawers so they don't get dusty. Every few months I look through my stuff and see if anything can be donated or thrown out.

Set a time limit each day for how much time you spend cleaning - no more, no less. Then you won't have burnout. And cleaning doesn't have to be perfect, a little dust never hurt anyone. A quick swipe of a washcloth is better than none at all.

I had same issue. Just no energy. Stuck to the couch. My doctor eliminated one of my meds and my energy has return. Do you sleep alot? That could be part of the problem. I also had blood test for thyroid suggested by my doctor and found I have an under-active thyroid. This will cause extreme fatigue among other things. Just a thought.

I guess I'm not the only one. I'm sorry to hear that others are struggling with this too. 

I try to live a somewhat healthy life, eating well, sleeping just enough, and getting a little exercise, but cleaning is just something I can't motivate myself to do unless it just becomes unbearable. I'll have to give some of these suggestions a try though.

When I have severe depression nothing gets done. I fight to get off the couch by ten mentally. When I'm well and working.I have someone come in or after church on Sundays housework is the game. But with depression dishes don't get done, trash doesn't go out etc. it's sad.

I used to clean people's houses for money and I really resent having to pick up after anyone I actually live with, so I really don't have suggestions. But if it's a matter of survival for you, pick one little thing that you'd like to keep on top of, say: water the plants...and do that and when you feel you're on top of it, reward yourself and pick something to add like: empty the dishwasher/dish drain. Just little things and try to negotiate with the people you live with.

Housework is not a plum job. If you are married and do it, you do not get paid for doing it even though you think it's drudgery. If you work outside the home, hire someone to do it for you, especially lawn maintenance.

I mostly tolerate our clutter until I can't tolerate it anymore or we have company coming. I've started putting all junk mail into recycling. That helps, but sometimes my husband wants to keep stuff...ARRRRGGGGGGH!

I absolutely loathe housework right now. My OCD has got worse lately and I'm constantly cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.... I'm even cleaning things that are already clean!

I wish I could sit back and relax and let my house get dirty for one day without having a panic attack...

Hi Sweaterweather,

i do struggle with house work.  I live in a one bedroom apartment and it should not be that difficult to keep clean but it is.

I made a decision when I was at my lowest point that I needed help with this aspect of my life and that I deserved it.  So I set aside a little money to have my place cleaned professionally once every three weeks.  It took me a while to get my place uncluttered so that I wasn't ashamed to have some one in to do it.

When my apartment is clean, I do feel better. 

IMHO a clean and tidy environment is essential for mental health. I struggle with it , I fight it, but I always feel better when it's clean. I get waves of anxiety over a messy home or car. Sometimes I'm depressed and I leave it messy for days and every day I get more anxious and depressed over it. I get intense paranoia that someone will drop in unexpected and see how messy it is. I agree with others posts about living alone- I live alone it's harder to keep clean on my own. It's easier to think ill do it later.

Is there any way u can hire someone to get your yard and home up to snuff? Or maybe u can ask a favour of a friend or relative.

The biggest thing I've learned is to do the upkeep daily which prevents it from getting out of hand. I live in a condo and I try tobat least have all the dishes counters and tables clean and garbage taken to the chute before I go to bed. In the evening after dinner I vacuum floors. Once a week on the weekend I do all the bed linens laundry and wash the floors and deep clean bathroom.

I have a tough time with it too. There's a zillion things I'd rather do. Once I actually do start cleaning something, I enjoy it and there's a sense of accomplishment when I'm done. But taking that first step towards the cleaning task is always difficult for me.

Of course, I'm a guy so that might have something to do with it. :smile:

I have a tough time with it too. There's a zillion things I'd rather do. Once I actually do start cleaning something, I enjoy it and there's a sense of accomplishment when I'm done. But taking that first step towards the cleaning task is always difficult for me.

Of course, I'm a guy so that might have something to do with it. :smile:

Same here, JD4010!