What Helps When You're Low

Dog

I'm just wondering what people retreat to when they're down in it with the depression. Those days when you can't bring yourself to do much of anything, what's your security blanket? Do you guys have any activities you revert to that help sooth it/distract you? Music, movies, shows, games, whatever.

For me, I always know there are 2 TV shows that really help me forget about the depression and relax... even if only for short bursts. Star Trek: The Next Generation and Teen Titans Go!

I don't know what it is about Star Trek but it's one of the few shows where I feel like the world makes sense to me (oddly enough I only discovered TNG like a year ago... behind the times much?). In a weird way it feels like I'm visiting a familiar place, something warm and... I dunno, sensible? Captain Picard and Data are my favorite characters hands down. Picard, to me, is what everyone should strive to be like. Pragmatic, full of integrity, honor, compassion, intellect. I guess in a weird way he gives me hope someone like that could try to right the world. And Data has always appealed to the logical and rational side of myself. No emotion, no lies, no ulterior motives... just fact and logic. I think talking with Data would be the most honest conversation you'd get out of someone.

As for Teen Titans Go!... it's completely and utterly ridiculous and silly... and I love it. That show is so much funnier than it has any right to be, haha. But then again I watch a lot of cartoons...

What about you guys? Anything you know you can always count on to give you a slight pick me up?

1. Family and friends.  I seek out someone to have lunch with, or I've got two or three that I eMail on occasion that have quirky perspectives on life.

2. The gym.  I get up, get out, and sweat regularly.  Small things - making progress, seeing that the guy on the lat pulldown machine before me was using less weight... that's vain, I know, but knowing you're not the wimpiest guy in the gym helps!

3. Mindfulness.  Keeping in mind that usually, my depression is pretty mile, I am able to recognize the things that trigger me, and can sometimes steer my mind toward a more healthy attitude.  I wasn't born depressed... I was made that way.  If I was made that way, I can UNmake myself that way.  Lots of people with injuries, illnesses, disadvantages of all types are happy and contribute to society, therefore I can find a way to do so, too.

I fall back on one or more of these things...

It really depends on what has me low.

I'll connect with friends who won't sugarcoat life for me and give it to me straight. It's even more beneficial than therapy sometimes. Other times, I isolate because I don't want to bother someone with my crap. Sometimes I take walks and try to turn my mind around. Sometimes I listen to music or watch TV and wait for it to pass.

Any kind of humor helps me. Music, too. And videogames. If I feel extremely depressed, I'll take a walk in the park, drink in the scenery. Or a drive, perhaps with the radio on. As the great philosopher Dominic Toretto once said, the open road helps you think about where you've been and where you're going.

My family. Playing a musical instrument. A warm shower. TV (specifically something funny like America's Funniest Home Videos - is that even still on? lol)

It is! Do you remember the guy that played Carlton on Fresh Prince of Bel Air? He's going to be taking over the hosts position next season lol

I guess it depends on how low I'm feeling.

If I'm feeling depressed but can still do things if I push myself enough, I'll make or buy some comfort food and watch a movie/TV show/anime on my laptop. Browsing the internet helps most of the time too. I always take a shower, regardless of how bad I feel, but on those really hard days, I break out the really nice smelling shampoo, body wash, and lotion. Sometimes, it perks me up slightly.

If I'm having one of those days where I can't even get out of bed, not much helps me. I just stay in bed and sleep or watch something. Unfortunately, when I'm that depressed, not much can distract me from how bad I feel. I don't even have an appetite, so comfort food is out of the question on those days. 

When I'm REALLY low, almost nothing. Music means nothing to me (and I LOVE music), it's very hard to read. Company used to help but now I prefer being alone. I guess watching movies is the only thing that might help.

Oh, and DF. It's always great to be able to come here.

My family. Playing a musical instrument. A warm shower. TV (specifically something funny like America's Funniest Home Videos - is that even still on? lol)

It is! Do you remember the guy that played Carlton on Fresh Prince of Bel Air? He's going to be taking over the hosts position next season lol

Really?! That's funny!! I like shows like that. But it seems like the underlying theme is laughing at someone else's pain.... does that make me evil? lol though I dont typically view it like that, i just see it as mindless entertainment. It also puts me in a state of awe because of how dumb people can be. :)