Sign in to follow this  
cb2

I Am Totally Creeped Out!

I went to a meetup in my town for people to play board games it was my first time going. A person sat down next to me who was also their for the first time. They seemed kinda weird and made some comments in an angry tone. People who seem angry and mean scare me. At the end of the night after him talking to me a little he asked for my number so he could call me about possibly joining him at other board game meetups. At first I didn't want to give him my number because I was totally creeped out by him, but I wrote down a fake number on a piece of paper and gave it to him, but then as he was getting ready to leave I started having thoughts about what if he tries to call and figures out I gave him a fake number and sees me at the meetup the next time, so I stopped him before leaving and told him I accidentally wrote down my old number and gave him my real one.

Four days later I get a call from him and we talk for an hour and he said many things about other people at the meetup that scared me. I went home and told my roommate about it and he said to block him and never go to another board game meetup again. I decided to wait 24 hours to think about it. The next day he called me 6 times and each time getting angrier and angrier about me not picking up. He even swore at me. When I heard these voice mails I quickly changed my phone number. I am still shaking from this experience. He doesn't know my last name or anything, all he has was my first name and old number. I live in a pretty populated area and know he lives about 3 miles away from me but now I'm scared to even leave my house because what if I see him out somewhere. I've never had anything like this happen before and don't know how to calm down. He didn't threaten me in any way he just was angry and mean and scary.

wow. I think changing your number was a good idea. I would also avoid the gameboard meetings, at least for a while. It's a shame that someone like this had to ruin it for you but it sounds like he is a bit unstable and your safety is important. I would also see if you can think of a good excuse for changing your phone no. in case you do run into him, I guess your initial gut feeling was spot on, such a shame you decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and it turned out like this. I don't know what else to say but I really feel for you.

It's a really freaky thing to happen, especially if you're already feeling low and anxious (I'm not sure whether you are or not). Unfortunately there are these kinds of strange people around who are desperate to attach themselves to someone. But nothing is going to happen, he only has your phone number and first name. Honestly speaking if he had your full name and address I still wouldn't be worried. The chances of him doing anything are remote. If it makes you feel better, maybe avoid the board game meeting for a while (although I don't think you need to and don't see why this person should stop you doing something you enjoy).

I hate these kinds of experience. They only happen to me when I'm really low. I remember some scientologist really weirding me out during a low period. If I'd been feeling good it would have been funny, but as it was, it was just disturbing.

Don't worry, nothing is going to happen to you.

You should definitely avoid him at all costs. Normal people don't act that way. I'd also suggest keeping record of any further interactions - via phone or in real life - that you have with him, just in case you ever have to involve the police. Hopefully it never comes to that, but if it does, you'll be prepared and will have thorough evidence against him.

Edited by sweaterweather

I totally understand how you feel.... I had to get a restraining order on someone once, and then almost two more times after that. I was very shaky around these circumstances and totally scared to go out as well. So I can relate. I also had a new acquaintance do a similar thing to me. Harassment is not acceptable in any shape or form, so good for you for changing your phone number immediately & for following your instincts. I also understand your wariness about venturing out around your neighborhood since he lives close by. What he did is definitely creepy and naturally would make someone very wary of anything. You can always avoid the group get together for a little while if you're worried, then go back.... and in terms of venturing out, I don't have the best advice on that, except it would be good to know what kind of car he drives so you can be watchful. But he doesn't know where you live, so that's good at least. If he doesn't know where you live, your last name, or phone number you can be assured that you're probably safe from this person. Still... total yuckiness. It's an awful and very scary feeling to go through that.... very sorry you had to deal with that! Stick with your friends and just be mindful.

Wishing you well through this, havehope