Sign in to follow this  
a400488

Having A Real Hard Time Taking You People Seriously

I take the time to respond carefully and thoughtfully to threads started by people in emotional pain. I turned to this forum 2 days ago thinking that that would be recipricated. Y'know how many replies I got? Actually, "replies" isn't the right word- "reply" is appropriate b/c only one person, Hertz, had the decency to respond. I came to this forum b/c the world is a cold and uncaring place and, due to some unexplainable flash of logic, I thought "a forum for depressive people would likely seek help those in need." How stupid I obviously was! :biglaugh:  Maybe I should try going onto threads and typing "Hi! I'm just like everyone else and read your pain, but am not going to respond!"
Thanks guys, you're all a bunch of winners.

I'm really sorry you're feeling this way. 

There is a lot of content here and it's daunting to get through it all. It's understandable you might feel upset if there aren't a lot of people who respond to your post. I've felt this way, too. But it's probably the case that people are just busy with their lives and don't have the time to read posts right away. For example, I've been busy all day but I've read this post now and I'm replying because I can tell you're in pain. You don't deserve to be in pain. No one does. If we can help, we'll try our best.

Please don't give up. 

Peace

I take the time to respond carefully and thoughtfully to threads started by people in emotional pain. I turned to this forum 2 days ago thinking that that would be recipricated. Y'know how many replies I got? Actually, "replies" isn't the right word- "reply" is appropriate b/c only one person, Hertz, had the decency to respond. I came to this forum b/c the world is a cold and uncaring place and, due to some unexplainable flash of logic, I thought "a forum for depressive people would likely seek help those in need." How stupid I obviously was! :biglaugh:  Maybe I should try going onto threads and typing "Hi! I'm just like everyone else and read your pain, but am not going to respond!"

Thanks guys, you're all a bunch of winners.

I make an effort to respond to people in pain, as my high post count and overall presence on the forums would indicate, but unfortunately a lot of posts come through every day and it is easy to miss a few. I can definitely see why you would be upset, and I'm sorry only Hertz was there for you when you really needed the support of us here. Most of the members here are fantastic, and I doubt your post was intentionally ignored.I admittedly didn't see it until just now when I looked at your recent posts, and feel bad that I didn't catch it before. :verysad3:

I'm also sorry you're in a lot of pain right now. Feeling lonely is just awful. =/

Hugs and Warm thoughts,

Christina

I tend to just "like" posts. I guess I'm a bit insecure about giving help, since I need so much help. There could be many reasons you are not being reciprocated very well. 

Sorry a400488. I have so little energy myself. Most people with depression do. When I’m feeling up to it, I try to help, but most of the time, I can only manage posting in the lighter forums.

Also, as the others have said, there is a very large volume of posts on this website. It's hard to keep up with them all. I’m a really slow reader also, so I tend to respond only in the ongoing (existing) threads, but occasionally have the strength/time to check out & respond to newer posts.

Most people here are incredibly caring though, & wouldn’t be deliberately ignoring you. I'm sorry you were hurt  :verysad3:

Yeah sorry a400488,

Am guilty of not coming here when I feel good, then coming here when I feel bad but barely being able to type responses to other people's posts. I think depression makes us very selfish in that way. Not selfish maybe but only able to look inwards at how bad we feel and how much pain we're in. People do care though, I think a lot of the time we're all just struggling. I should come here more when I'm feeling good, I'd be able to offer a lot more. Am going to find your post that you refer to and respond.

Hi, I'm so sorry that you felt that way. I do understand how you feel though because when I posted a topic, I did only have 1-2 replies and it did make me sad but I am grateful for that 1-2 people who reply. This is going out of topic but I would like to apologize for not helping when I could and when I should be. (((Hugs)))

Anita

As I stated yesterday on your original post,  I know I've made posts in the past that got looked over. It's something that just happens unfortunately.

No one intentionally set out to hurt you by not responding, there are hundreds of posts that go through the site on a daily basis, and some people don't look at certain sections for various reasons.

I try to respond to as many people as I can but there are some days, I don't know what to say to offer support whether it be bec I can't relate to the topic or my advice wouldn't be helpful to the original poster or I'm just having a bad day myself.

It's unfortunate that you feel the need to lash out at others that are depressed as well and battling their own demons.

I hope you find the support you're looking for.

It's unfortunate that you feel the need to lash out at others that are depressed as well and battling their own demons.

I hope you find the support you're looking for.

It is unfortunate, but thankfully I was reminded what a "real winner" I am. I shall carry that as a depressive badge of honor. (Hey, have to keep things light sometimes)

- Christina

Hi Christina from Massachusetts!! I'm from MA as well :)

a400488, so sorry you're feeling this way.... I can understand your feelings --- we all want and need responses on here to our troubles... we've all come here for help & to lean on each other for that -- there are definitely lots of posts on here to try to keep up with & people respond when & if they are up for it. Not all are able to provide help since we all are suffering from one issue or another.. it ain't easy. You're definitely getting lots of responses now though, so I think you've grabbed people's attention! (trying to keep it light as well). I hope you stay on the forum with us & get the support you need -- it is truly a very warm, safe & supportive place.

Hugs & all the best,

havehope

If you need immediate responses and help you are to call 1-800-273-8255

If you feel you need or would like a quicker response to your thread, perhaps learn more about the Forums available here on DF and try posting in Members Needing Extra Support Now.  

It's unfortunate that your other post slipped through and our DF Family was unable to respond more.  The biggest reason for this I believe it that you posted it at 1:29 am on a Saturday morning.  

It's also unfortunate that you chose to take your anger out on the DF Family.  We are not professionals who are required to monitor all threads and provide responses in a certain time frame.

What we are is a very thoughtful, intelligent, and caring family who suffer through many mental illnesses ourselves and go above and beyond to minister to those in need as much as we are able to.

If you pay close attention to more of the threads, you will see someone post what they are currently suffering through, and then turn right around and find where they have put aside their own problems for a minute and posted support to others. 

However, there are many times when we just don't have the energy ourselves to get up and log in, much less respond.  

And I can assure you that your posting here has resulted in a wave of negative feelings and emotional upheaval on a number of members already dealing with more than anyone should have to.  

What I find amazing in this thread in particular is that those who have responded have still treated you like family...and I know they will continue to put aside their own emotions and try to respectfully reply as adults.

Even though I am not a moderator, I decided to look at your profile and "all" of your "content".   It appears you have been a member since 2010.  2010, and you have 57 posts.So I feel compelled to speak with you as I would one of my own children.

This post is the most childish post I have seen since I have been a member here, 5 years less than you.  Even the teen age members respond and express their emotions more appropriately.  

I acknowledge that a few of your responses where thoughtful...but the majority of them honestly left me scratching my head...and the ones where you hijacked others threads to whine about your lack of responses was appalling. 

In looking at your content from your early days, I discovered you had started three threads, all of which received 2 to 5 responses from members here.  And you did not follow up on one of them, not with a status, a comment, and least of all not a thank you. 

I noticed in one thread you stated  "It's gotten bad enough lately that I'm back on wellbutrin and getting onto DF every night after work."   Every night and only 57 responses?  It would appear that you also have gone through a period of time where you did a lot more reading without being able to respond at all.  That's understandable.  Our family can relate.   

The only thread where you responded more than once was the "Biotch about your Job here" thread. 

On one thread, you actually posted in response to someone else..."so how often did you guys beat the s*** out of somebody leaving a bar late at night when robbing them?"  I'm sure that was quite helpful. 

I would pick out many more of your own quotes that support the idea that you should follow some of your own advice...but I will end with the following quote from you as a reason why your post may not have been responded to;

"there are just too many variables for (you) to objectively determine that your feelings are not based in reality and somehow unwarranted."

Even with your actions and lashing out at our family, I still recognize from all of your posts that you too are hurting and in need of support and somewhere to express your feelings.  

And so I still welcome you to the DF family...assuming the moderators allow you to stay...and would like to offer help to you when I can.  

You may add me as a friend and send me a PM any time.  I have my options set to where I am notified on my cell phone whenever I receive a PM.  

And wrapping this up, I too am from the deep south and I smile at others whenever I make eye contact, even when I feel my worst.  It's not about faking it, or religion, it's simply about having respect for others.  

I wish you peace and comfort to help with your struggles. 

Best regards.  

Edited by PessimOptimist

Lately I haven't been reading or posting advice on this particular forum because whenever I do try to give advice or support ppl don't tend to want it.

I too have experienced some of the feelings you express, in that even on forums like this site, sometimes we don't get what we want from others. That's life. This one sure got the attention of others and the responses are interesting.

Fact is, sometimes we all need to rant about not getting what we want, and I mean everyone. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes it's part of a pity party, sometimes it brings a change in one's own attitude, and sometimes, obviously it hits a nerve with others.

In my experience, my own resentment, envy, jealousy, or whatever you want to call it about others "getting" and me "not getting" whatever it is, comes from comparing; comparing and deciding that what I perceive as a deficiency in volume, or depth, or value of the attention/response/care/love is just more proof of my own worthlessness.

This may not be your issue, but I wanted to share in the hopes that any response would mean something.

Comparing leads to negativity, IMHO.

Fact is, there are people who fall apart when they run out of catsup, and others who get news of a terminal illness and still hold it together.

I am sorry you felt ignored. I have not been on here for a few days as I am having difficulty with job applications, being broke, living on dried beans once a day, being jerked around by food stamps, legal aid, osha, and being contacted repeatedly by some disability assistance business operation that I contacted months ago after I learned my sporadic employment and full-time student status for many years have not provided enough work credits. Being hungry, having no coffee, etc etc has been a bit of distraction.

I do hope things work out for you and that maybe your complaints here and the responses do something for you.

Good luck!

My advice is to stop being so self centered and being worried about how many replies you get on a depression forum and to learn how to express yourself with out alienating others by being rude.Any way good luck and I hope you get better.

One feature of depression is it can make one lash out at even those people one cares about. I generally assume everyone here is in some sort of pain and try to give them the benefit of the doubt. If someone is unkind to other members it's not really cool. I'm not saying it's OK to hurt others because you're hurting, yourself. But it can be understandable.

I've lashed out at people who are very dear to me and said nasty things. I can't throw stones when I live in a glass house. 

Peace

If you feel you need or would like a quicker response to your thread, perhaps learn more about the Forums available here on DF and try posting in Members Needing Extra Support Now.  

It's unfortunate that your other post slipped through and our DF Family was unable to respond more.  The biggest reason for this I believe it that you posted it at 1:29 am on a Saturday morning.  

It's also unfortunate that you chose to take your anger out on the DF Family.  We are not professionals who are required to monitor all threads and provide responses in a certain time frame.

What we are is a very thoughtful, intelligent, and caring family who suffer through many mental illnesses ourselves and go above and beyond to minister to those in need as much as we are able to.

If you pay close attention to more of the threads, you will see someone post what they are currently suffering through, and then turn right around and find where they have put aside their own problems for a minute and posted support to others. 

However, there are many times when we just don't have the energy ourselves to get up and log in, much less respond.  

And I can assure you that your posting here has resulted in a wave of negative feelings and emotional upheaval on a number of members already dealing with more than anyone should have to.  

What I find amazing in this thread in particular is that those who have responded have still treated you like family...and I know they will continue to put aside their own emotions and try to respectfully reply as adults.

Even though I am not a moderator, I decided to look at your profile and "all" of your "content".   It appears you have been a member since 2010.  2010, and you have 57 posts.So I feel compelled to speak with you as I would one of my own children.

This post is the most childish post I have seen since I have been a member here, 5 years less than you.  Even the teen age members respond and express their emotions more appropriately.  

I acknowledge that a few of your responses where thoughtful...but the majority of them honestly left me scratching my head...and the ones where you hijacked others threads to whine about your lack of responses was appalling. 

In looking at your content from your early days, I discovered you had started three threads, all of which received 2 to 5 responses from members here.  And you did not follow up on one of them, not with a status, a comment, and least of all not a thank you. 

I noticed in one thread you stated  "It's gotten bad enough lately that I'm back on wellbutrin and getting onto DF every night after work."   Every night and only 57 responses?  It would appear that you also have gone through a period of time where you did a lot more reading without being able to respond at all.  That's understandable.  Our family can relate.   

The only thread where you responded more than once was the "Biotch about your Job here" thread. 

On one thread, you actually posted in response to someone else..."so how often did you guys beat the s*** out of somebody leaving a bar late at night when robbing them?"  I'm sure that was quite helpful. 

I would pick out many more of your own quotes that support the idea that you should follow some of your own advice...but I will end with the following quote from you as a reason why your post may not have been responded to;

"there are just too many variables for (you) to objectively determine that your feelings are not based in reality and somehow unwarranted."

Even with your actions and lashing out at our family, I still recognize from all of your posts that you too are hurting and in need of support and somewhere to express your feelings.  

And so I still welcome you to the DF family...assuming the moderators allow you to stay...and would like to offer help to you when I can.  

You may add me as a friend and send me a PM any time.  I have my options set to where I am notified on my cell phone whenever I receive a PM.  

And wrapping this up, I too am from the deep south and I smile at others whenever I make eye contact, even when I feel my worst.  It's not about faking it, or religion, it's simply about having respect for others.  

Best regards.  

Thanks for chiming in, PO. Most of what you said came across as two-faced and prim, but considering that YOU have made 1,200 posts in approximately 90 days, I wouldn't expect a great deal of A-grade material from a member of "our" family. But, whatever, you've got a college football team ("Roll-Tide- enough said") to root for, so I'll let YOU get back to greiving, good sir.

Actually Pessim is completely right so you should take note of his advice. You even answered your own question in your first post. This is a depression forum to share feelings - we're not therapists. Maybe I'm just less patient with people who basically disrespect an entire community because they're not the centre of all attention but your attitude towards other sufferers seriously stinks. Next it will be that nobody 'liked' one of your posts. Does it really matter? If you're going through a really bad time, can't cope, and need a response, PM somebody or use a crisis line. Don't take it out on people going through the same or conceivably worse problems than you. It's called respect.

Now I hope this is just a one off outburst and you actually want to carry on contributing to this community in a constructive way. I'm sure people would be happy to talk through your issues and offer advice. Just go about it the right way next time, yeah?

Actually Pessim is completely right so you should take note of his advice. You even answered your own question in your first post. This is a depression forum to share feelings - we're not therapists. Maybe I'm just less patient with people who basically disrespect an entire community because they're not the centre of all attention but your attitude towards other sufferers seriously stinks. Next it will be that nobody 'liked' one of your posts. Does it really matter? If you're going through a really bad time, can't cope, and need a response, PM somebody or use a crisis line. Don't take it out on people going through the same or conceivably worse problems than you. It's called respect.

Now I hope this is just a one off outburst and you actually want to carry on contributing to this community in a constructive way. I'm sure people would be happy to talk through your issues and offer advice. Just go about it the right way next time, yeah?

Very well said, S :hugs:

You're welcome A400488,  

Yeah, my post count is a little deceiving as I like to participate with the community in some of the game threads.  It helps to elevate my mood and focus less on my anger and depression.  It's true, I will engage in watching the games of one college football team again this season as that too is a good way for me to take a break from the things that bother me.  Please, feel free to continue taking your anger out on me via PM as you have this morning.  That's a more appropriate place to do so rather than publicly upsetting the community.  If grieving is the biggest obstacle you face right now, I would like to help.  If you take the time to read the About Me section on my profile you'll see I'm no stranger to grief.  I look forward to getting to know you.  

Welcome back.  

Edited by PessimOptimist

I've learned it's not OK to hurt someone else just because you're hurting. Lashing out can have consequences, much as the OP is experiencing.

Now, the OP may have ruffled some feathers, which is understandable. But, as I've said before, I assume anyone who posts here is hurting. And hurt can make you do some unproductive things. We've all been there. I'm sure we all understand. Hurting doesn't excuse bad manners but it can explain them.  I'm sure we're all sensitive to this.

I agree with Songs. I'm sure the community will welcome anyone suffering from depression or other issues. I think we all understand that everyone has bad days and we're here to support one another through those bad days. But there are rules of conduct here.

I've lashed out at someone in a public forum when I was in a very dark and bad place. But I immediately went back and "shook hands" with that person to make sure we were OK. Really, perpetuating anger serves no purpose.

One of the nice things about this community is the relative lack of flame wars and trolls and I'm sure we want to keep it that way.

Peace

So many gracious responses to a rather ungracious OP. This is why I love this community. I wish I could respond to others more, but I so rarely feel that I have anything worthwhile to offer. I can barely do anything to help myself--how could I possibly help anybody else? 

Anyhoo, you're all winners in my book.  :flowers:

Best regards.  

Thanks for chiming in, PO. Most of what you said came across as two-faced and prim, but considering that YOU have made 1,200 posts in approximately 90 days, I wouldn't expect a great deal of A-grade material from a member of "our" family. But, whatever, you've got a college football team ("Roll-Tide- enough said") to root for, so I'll let YOU get back to greiving, good sir.

I don't know if you've ever lost someone immensely close to you or not, but that is an incredibly low and mean-spirited thing to say. I understand your frustration and why you'd reply to PessimOptimist like you did up until that comment. To be honest with you, after losing several family members and knowing PO's situation well, it really boils my blood and I am trying to maintain my cool to be respectful with you. Grieving is not some hobby to get back to.

I know before you got upset, you wrote a few replies in Depression Central that were reaching out and helping others. I hope if you stick around, those are the types of posts I see, along with any threads you might make to express yourself and get support.

- Christina

Best regards.  

You've got some anger in you, a400488. ;) I assume you felt insulted by PO's post (perhaps not his intention), and generally it would work better to just say that; instead of trying to "one up" him, right? But ok; rocky start; not all is lost, this ship can be turned around, can it not? Shake hands and move forwards? Besides "winners", "losers"; who keeps count? This place is, or should be, about feeling better and getting insight. I've seen some A-grade stuff show up here from time to time (today actually was the latest), so stick around. Sometimes things are slow, so patience might be needed. So, what's up with your situation?

Edited by Norwegian_Ken