Sign in to follow this  
PsychT1987

Burned Out, Work, Life, And Stress...

Hi, posted a few times on here about stress. My family is a bit dysfunctional at times and kind of survival of the fittest. Normally talk about each other behind each other's back, which I assume is normal. My mom hasn't blamed me in awhile for her drinking and smoking.

Anyways going off on tangents might be a bit through this post.

I feel like a jerk when my mom and I talk about work. I become defensive and tell her that she has never worked in the environment I do. I feel guilty don't mean to have this superiority complex. My mom tells me to suck it up, your young, and should only focus on work.

With my work I love my job. I am back doing a job I love to do. The hospital and Co worker's are amazing. Only downside it's part time, which most of the summer I am scheduled full time not to bad. However, I am variable shifts which means I work morning second morning morning second shift. My hours are all over the place difficult to balance life with work out. Especially since work is chaotic at times it's stressful just too exhausted or can't find time to burn steam off. 

That kind of happen to me where I became irritable and exhausted. Started eating more, sleeping less, and not exercising any more. I took two day's off to rekax, went camping when I had off of work in the middle of the week. However, mom kind of thinks blowing my money away when I should save it. I do need to save money to find my own place again, since living at home again since laid off last May.

Anyways I put a transfer for a night position with work. I feel my boss will allow me to transfer if I train for this new position in the department to pick up extra hour's. However, with my schedule be working evenings then come in during the morning work evenings ahain. I am just asking to make myself worse.

From my mom's comments I feel weak inferior.

I don't know what's going on with me need some feedback.

Sorry you are not receiving more moral support at home.

Going camping sounds very reasonable. It's cheap and revitalizing. It was a good thing to do.

Moving out would improve your situation by not having to hang out with a non-supportive family on a daily basis.

Is there no other place you could move into in the meantime, perhaps a friend's house?

In the meantime I'd try staying away from my mother as much as possible, by doing stuff outside the house.

Have you ever told her after she tells you to suck it up "Easy for you to say." It really bugs me when people from an older generation (when the pace of the world was inherently slower) act like they know what it's like these days. I'm not that old (not young either) but can tell things were just more laid back even from when I was a child in the early 1980s. It feels like the whole thing is running really fast and the wheels are about to spin off.
I think camping was a good idea since it is cheap to do (if you have all the gear) and gets you out of the house. Do you have any creative outlets (music, art, etc) or physical activities (running, weight lifting, team sports, etc)?
Working in a hospital is a stressful place- even non-patient facing. I don't think I could do it. All those smart, mean doctors and pushy nurses; numbers obsessed middle-managers and constant interference from insurance companies and governmental red-tape.
As far as feeling weak and inferior the only way that that's valid is if she also does the exact same work in the exact same place right now. Otherwise, there are just too many variables for her to objectively determine that your feelings are not based in reality and somehow unwarranted.