Struggling With Dental Problems

Hi all.

I just wanted to share a few insights I learned about myself recently.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently and I think I’ve realized some things. I do better with dental work/procedures, when the doctor is talking me through things. Sometimes it helps if the assistant talks to me also, but mostly I need the encouragement from the doctor.

When I saw Dr. G., this was the first time I met him. We did a consultation, exam and treatment (rct) all in one day, the first day, because it was an emergency situation and I was in a lot of pain.

Part of what helped me through this rct was the environment. It was a very calming environment, from the décor down to the soft music playing in the background. Dr. G.’s gentle and calm manner really helped also. He focused on his work, but also talked to me throughout the procedure, telling me how we were progressing and how far along we were. The fact that he’s done a lot of research on how to make the procedure go quickly helped a lot too. The breaks of down time between the different parts of the procedure helped too. I had time before he came in to examine me to sit in the chair and relax. I had time after the injections to let them start working really well and get me numb, before any work began and that helped. The procedure itself went really quick, which helped my anxiety and my jaw pain. A traditional rct procedure is very difficult for me, mostly due to my jaw. Even when I break it into two appointments, it's really difficult for me.

It helps me if there's a balance during procedures. Breaks as needed to take a breather and calm down. The doctor talking to me on and off throughout the procedure really helps. I think a constant stream of talking would make me more anxious, as I want the doctor to focus on the work more than my emotional state. At the same time it helps to know that they are checking in on me and treating me as a whole person, not just treating my teeth. It helps to get progress reports during procedures, such as approximately how much time is left. It helps to have the procedure broken into steps and to be aware of the steps.

It's also very helpful that the doctor is gentle with me. I realize some work is a bit rougher in nature, but if the dentist is gentle, they take care not to jostle you during treatment.

I just wanted to share that.

Thanks.

JJ

Hi all.

Well, this is depressing.  I just realized that all 8 of my molars are compromised in one way or another.  I have 5 molars that have had rcts and 1 has a crown the other 4 still need it.  The remaining molars all have fillings of various sizes and locations.  At least 2 of my molars have cavities that have been filled near or under the gum line.

This is bad.  I don't have one single good, healthy molar in my mouth.  Partly genes, partly neglect on my part because taking care of my teeth properly hurts.  Brushing hurts and flossing hurts more.  This is even with sensitivity relief toothpaste.  I've tried professional flouride varnishes several times.  I've tried flouride rinses with a Rx.  I've tried Rx flouride toothpastes.

All of my teeth and gums are sensitive.  My jaw hurts, basically all day every day.  The amount of pain varies.  Ever since my jaw surgery in July 2014 I've had partial numbness in my lower lip.  It's really weird because it comes and goes.

I have those three teeth with external root resorption which are really freaking me out.  The one tooth hurts and feels loose still.

My four lower front teeth hurt so bad.  I think the bottoms of the teeth are exposed.  Little to no gums covering them.  I've been told this may be a result of my braces or jaw surgery or a combination, but I can't put up with it much longer.  I'll probably look into that gum graft surgery.

I already feel sorry for my new dentist.  I have so many issues and so many questions.  I really hope he has the patience and expertise to deal with me and my problems.  I keep thinking I need a referral to a periodontist, but no one has referred me as of yet.

I know I'm a worry wort.  I can't help it.

This is one of those times I really wish my brain had an off switch or mute button.

Help...     :coopcray:

JJ

Edited by SFChristianGirl

Take out loan and get all work done in Costa Rica and be done with it all. Everyone is there for same reason. I have to go back myself. if you're like me all my molars have been root canaled but they all needed crowns and implants eventually. I wish I could just be done with dental work myself so you're not alone. And PRAY PRAY PRAY

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone.

I see it's been awhile since I've been on here.  I have some updates.

So, in regards to my overall health, I got over strep throat recently.  Had it for a couple of weeks and it's better now.  During the same time I was diagnosed with Acute Thyroiditis, which is a complication of the strep.  Basically the strep infected my thyroid, so I had to take a steroid medication in pill form to get that back under control.  Over here we have a lot of pollens, so now it's allergy season.  They're saying it's one of the worst on record in several years, so everyone has seasonal allergies right now.

I think I told you about my new job awhile back.  I'm working at a hospital right now.  Started there on October 24, 2015 and was a contractor until March 4, 2016.  I'm still at the same facility, but now I'm a permanent employee, as of March 6, 2016.  I'm really excited.  I love this job and the people I work with and our patients.

As for the dental side, all is well right now.  No problems currently with my teeth or gums.  My new insurance through work kicks in on March 20, 2016.  I'm planning to schedule a dental appointment in early April.

I had a bit of a rough start because this is a new dental office.  I've never been there before and never even met the doctor.  I re-scheduled one appointment already, due to work.  I missed another appointment just due to my own fear and anxiety.  So, I'm not calling them yet until I know for sure that I can and will go.

The good thing about the new job is that I will have some week days off and work some weekends.  That will definitely help my anxiety, as I won't feel rushed during my dental appointments and have to rush back to work after.

So, right now I'm feeling nervous.  My first appointment with the new office will be a new patient exam.  Then I'll have to schedule a cleaning.  Then the real work begins.  I still have 4 molars with root canal treatments that need crowns.  I also will have to ask the new doctor about my other issues, like the external root resorption in 2 or 3 teeth and whatever else he may find.  I'll have to find out if I’m still in early periodontal disease or if it's gotten better or worse.

So many unknowns really make me nervous.

The good thing is that with my new job, I'm a federal employee, so the benefits I signed up for will really help with the cost.  I have a high amount with my dental insurance, so they will cover half of all major work (including crowns) and the annual maximum allowed is high.

So many things I've been waiting to do, but I was waiting on this new job and insurance.

I also have to get my glasses prescription renewed.  I'm near sighted, so I can see near, but not far without glasses.  My current pair is two or more years old, and I can tell the prescription is getting fuzzy now.  Time for a new pair.

Oh, also I really researched my insurances before I chose them.  My new dentist who I want to start seeing, Dr. C., is on the insurance approved list and if I ever have to have root canal work done or re-done my endodonist, Dr. G., is also on the insurance approved list.  That was one of my big worries was that I wouldn't be able to continue seeing them both.

I think that's all for the update.  It's really just dental anxiety and fear starting to build up again.

I hope you are all doing well.  I'll have to read your recent posts soon.

Thanks.

JJ

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

Time for another update here.

On Thursday, 3/24/16, I had to have an emergency dental appointment with my new dentist, Dr. C.  My upper front, left tooth felt loose, has been hurting constantly, a throbbing pain, pain with biting or chewing and sensitivity to cold and hot and basically typical root canal type symptoms.

This was my first time going to the office and meeting my new dentist so I was really nervous.  They treated this like my new patient exam.  The assistant took x-rays of all the teeth, especially the painful one.  Then I met my new dentist Dr. C. and he did a full examination with special focus on the problem tooth.  He gave me my treatment plan including, 4 crowns (1 with a post and core buildup), a good dental cleaning (possible deep cleaning depending on the hygenist’s evaluation) and a possible root canal treatment on my painful front tooth.  No new cavities, so I was thankful for that.  He wanted me to try an antibiotic first to see if it would settle the tooth down and then re-evaluate the tooth later.

I arrived early to fill out new patient paper work (since it was my first appointment). It was only two pages and it seemed pretty thorough to me. The forms asked about things that not all offices ask about. It asked if I was nervous/fearful at the dentist. It asked if I'd ever had a previous bad experience at a dental office.

I think my first impression was right and that this office is geared towards anxious patients and the doctor and staff are really focused on patient comfort.

The doctor was very nice and thorough. He tried to be gentle, but he talked me through every step and told me what feelings to expect, which really helps me. A lot of the examination hurt, but that's only because my teeth are in bad shape.

The loose, painful front tooth is a bit of a mystery. He said the x-rays of the tooth looked fine and I had no decay in it. He thinks that the tooth was injured during my braces treatment and it is acting like an injured tooth. He started me on antibiotics and when I go back for my cleaning on April 7th, he's going to re-check the tooth to see if it's better, worse or the same. If it's still feeling the same I will have a root canal treatment on the tooth that day. The condition the tooth has is called 'irreversible pulpitis'.

I will have a regular cleaning on April 7th and the hygenist will check my gums for pockets at that time also. If necessary I will have a deep cleaning that day. I'm curious to see if my gum pockets are the same or worse than the last time I had them checked 9 months ago.

I took my herbal supplements before the appointment and my anxiety was actually manageable that day. I wasn't nearly as nervous or anxious as I thought I'd be. The doctor's manner and tone of voice really put me at ease. I really like him as a doctor and as a person. I think I'm on my way to building a trusting relationship with him. He also explains things to you, so even though he talks to his assistant in dental terminology, he still takes the time to explain things to you and show you on x-rays what he's talking about.

I took my usual letter and packet explaining my anxiety/phobia to him, but I wasn't able to hand it to him myself. I think he could tell I was nervous (because I was very fidgety with my hands), but he was really good with me, very patient. At the end of the appointment I gave the packet to his assistant and asked her to have him look at it for me. I explained to her what it was and why I put it together. The office was very busy, so I don't think he would've had time to look at it if I gave it to him while he was doing my exam.

So, I had my new patient examination and x-rays. Over all I'd say it was a positive experience. I can't explain it but something about the doctor and his mannerisms and bedside manner, just put me at ease.

I started taking an antibiotic for my front tooth Thursday, 3/24/16 after my dental appointment.  The antibiotic was Amoxicillin.  I was supposed to take it for 7 days.

The day after I started taking it I started to get pretty sick.  Had a low grade fever, abdominal pain, nausea, fatigue and a pain level of 8 out of 10.  My guess is that this was either an allergy to the medicine or the medicine aggravated one of my chronic health issues.  It was a high dose of Amoxicillin, 875 mg twice a day.

I have a digestive chronic health issues, called Diverticulosis.  My diet has been good, so other than taking that antibiotic I haven’t done anything to aggravate the condition.

Sunday, 3/17/16, I ended up going to Urgent Care after work and they referred me to the Emergency Room just to be safe.  They weren’t sure if it was the medicine or Appendicitis and they didn’t have the equipment to diagnose me there.  I went to the ER and was there for 5 hours.  They did a CT scan and found nothing wrong other than the diverticulosis that I already know about.  They did blood work and other various tests and I was on IV fluids.  The doctor wasn’t sure what was wrong with me, but the diagnosis was ‘abdominal pain’ possibly related to the diverticulosis.

The pain gradually got better.  I think the antibiotic was just too strong for my body.  I am very hypersensitive to foods and medications and my dentist knows this.  I called the office today, to tell them that I stopped the medication and to see if he wants to put me on something else.  The new office returned my call and the dentist called in a new medication for me, Azithromycin, a 3 day course.

The tooth is still hurting also, so the antibiotic didn’t help even in the 3 full days I took it.

It's been a rough couple of days. The reaction to the old antibiotic has passed. I finished taking the new antibiotic I was prescribed, Azithromycin, yesterday. It was a 3 day course and I tolerated it much better.

My anxiety has been pretty high the last couple of days. On Wednesday morning, 3/30/16, I got a voice mail from my new dentist, Dr. C., saying that he wanted to chat on the phone. I wasn't sure what he wanted to talk about and if it was good or bad, so I got really anxious waiting to be able to talk to him. We played phone tag until Friday morning, 4/1/16. It was his day off and mine too, so it was the easiest time for us both to talk.

I'm happy to say that the phone call went really well. Keep in mind that I gave him the letter and packet I put together at our first visit and I didn't know how he'd react to my anxiety and issues.

He acknowledged that he'd read the letter and other contents of the packet and thought about it. He said that the anxiety I deal with is normal and nothing to be ashamed of. He said that he has other anxious patients and that they all deal with it in different ways. He's willing to work with me to do whatever he can to put me at ease during treatments. We went over my treatment plan again over the phone. He asked how my front, top tooth has been and I told him it's still the same symptoms and pain, even though I was done with the antibiotic. He's concerned about the tooth, but I have an appointment already set up on the 7th and I'll get my cleaning that day and he'll also re-examine and test the tooth at that time. It's still a possible root canal treatment. After that he wants to do one crown for me first, just to see how I handle the treatment and anxiety. Then we'll go from there.

I'm so happy that we had the chance to talk. I feel relieved now. He's going to help me through all this and he's willing to let me take breaks as needed or stop during treatments to ask questions. He said it's up to me if I want to be told step by step what's going on or if I prefer not to know. I think I'd rather be told, but we'll try it and see what happens.

It's just a load off my mind that we've spoken now. I was so afraid that he wouldn't be able to work with me, but I'm really glad that he's willing to.

I think my first impression of Dr. C. and his office was correct. I think we're on our way to developing a trusting relationship together.

Thanks for listening.

I’ll keep you all posted.

JJ

Edited by SFChristianGirl
Typos

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

Time for an update. 

I had a dental appointment yesterday and the appointment went really well. I was a bundle of nerves when I first got to the office, but after a few minutes I felt calmer. I wasn't as nervous in the waiting room as I usually am. I did use nitrous for my appointment, because it really helps me to relax and not be anxious. Partly due to the length of time of the appointment and partly because this appointment involved some drilling I needed it to help me to stay calm.

I didn't take any herbal anti-anxiety pills and I was ok without them. The procedure went fine. I had a core build up and crown preparation on one of my lower right molars.

I wasn't on hyper alert like I usually feel at the dentist. Normally I feel so anxious and nervous that it's hard to relax, even with the nitrous, but today I felt a lot calmer overall. I felt safe today. I felt safe and calm enough that I felt like I could've fallen asleep there. That's amazing for me. I actually closed my eyes through most of the appointment. In the past I wouldn't have been able to, but I felt safe enough with Dr. C. that I just closed my eyes while he worked and I felt ok doing that.

The dental assistant asked me if I felt more comfortable coming to the office now. I told her that I did feel more comfortable now that I knew Dr. C., her and the staff there. I told her my anxiety was still there, but it was less overall now when I came to the office.

I don't know what it is exactly, but I feel like I took a huge step forward today. I really trust Dr. C. a lot now. I feel comfortable and safe with him. There was a point that I thought I'd never be able to say that about a dentist.

I can tell that Dr. C. is doing his very best to earn my trust.

It really helps me to trust him knowing that he does honor my wishes and listens to me and my body language. It helps that he takes his time with me and I don't feel rushed or pressured.

I'm really happy that he's willing to work with me. I've been hoping to find a doctor like him for a long time now. I just have to give us both more time to continue to build trust with each other.

I'm also noticing that the more work I have done, the better I feel. I've been so worried about my teeth for a long time now and now that the work is almost done it feels really good to not have to worry as much. I was always concerned before because most of this work has been to finish treatments that were started, some as long as a year and a half ago. These teeth had had root canal treatments and needed crowns. Without the crowns the teeth are very fragile. I actually had one tooth fracture before it got a crown placed, so now I don't have to worry about that anymore.

In two weeks I go to get my last same day crown on a molar. Then the same day I'll have a temporary filling replaced on one of my front teeth. When Dr. G. did the root canal treatment a few weeks ago, he left it with a temporary filling so now Dr. C. has to put in a permanent filling.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your support and for listening.

JJ

Hi everyone.

Really struggling right now.  Last two days have been full of flashbacks, anxiety, fear and nightmares.

I'm really upset right now because 3 days ago a tooth that had a root canal treatment done a month ago, started hurting again.  It initially settle down after treatment, but now the pain is back and it's causing me to panic.  It also has these periods where it will feel loose and then fine again and go back and forth.  Recently it's felt loose and that really scares me.

I called my dentist, Dr. C., this morning and he is going to see me today at 4 pm.  I'm still in the process of building trust with him, so I still get in this panicky, anxiety and fearful kind of mood before appointments.  Especially when it's something unexpected like this.

I'm really worried that he won't be able to treat it himself and that I'll need a referral to a specialist.  I'm not ready to meet and try to trust another doctor right now.

I'm afraid I'm going to need some complicated treatment to fix this tooth.

JJ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Well, I just got home from my appointment with Dr. G. a little while ago. I did end up needing the dental surgery so he did it for me today. Took about 1 hour and 45 minutes. I took my herbal medications beforehand, so I was pretty calm overall. There were a few times where my anxiety got bad, but it was manageable.

I have dissolvable stitches in my gum which should fall out in 7-10 days. I'm very swollen and I'm still numb. It took 4 shots to get me completely numb before we started.

He sent me home with pain medication and an antibiotic. I'm to expect some minor bleeding for about 4 days. The swelling can last from 2-3 weeks, but I was told to ice it at first to help the swelling go down.

Since I have stitches in I had to re-schedule my next appointment with Dr. C. which was originally tomorrow. I'm going to see him in early June instead, because that's the soonest he can see me for my crown.

I'm really tired now. I'll probably try and take a nap later today. At least I don't work until Friday, so I have some time to rest and recover.

I feel like I'm in shock emotionally. I thought I'd feel relieved, but I feel sad. I don't know why. It's hard to explain. There's no particular thought involved but when I ask myself how do I feel, my response is tired and sad. I know that must sound odd, but that's my main emotion right now. I do feel some sense of relief, but I know this will be a hard recovery, so maybe that's why I'm sad.

I had a lot of stitches put in. Seeing him stitch up my gum kind of freaked me out. It was just really weird seeing someone put stitches in your mouth.

Overall I'm glad it's all over. Just wish my emotions were more what I expected. Why do I feel like I'm in shock? Shouldn't I be happy and relieved right now?

Thanks again to everyone for your support.

JJ

Hi.

I just want to say thank you to all of you for your support. I don't know what I'd do without this forum and all of you here to support me.

I'm healing well from the gum surgery. It's been 6 days since the surgery and I'm feeling better. The stitches fell out in day 3. The surgical site looks much better than it did.

I'm sorry I haven't been on much recently. I did intend to post more as I was healing.

I'm feeling really emotional right now. I feel out of sorts. A lot has been happening with me lately besides my dental appointments and such.

I don't know if I've mentioned previously, but I deal with chronic pain. My back (especially lower back), my knees (both) and my neck are areas where I experience chronic pain. I have times where it won't bother me at all or will be minimal and other times where I'll have an episode of severe chronic pain.

Recently I'm having an episode of severe chronic pain. I discussed this with my therapist, who says anxiety, stress and pain and are all related to each other. So, with all this dental stuff I've been dealing with recently, it triggered my anxiety which in turn triggered the pain. What a wonderful cycle.

My anxiety is low in relation to dental things currently, but for some reason I have this nagging overall general anxiety now. Who knows, maybe they are related. I haven't been able to identify a trigger though.

My back is hurting me to the point that I sought out the services of a massage therapist. I've gone twice in 3 weeks now, because the pain is so bad. The massage really helps me. It not only reduces my pain, but it also helps with my anxiety. This is a new practitioner that I'm seeing now and she is excellent and has reasonable rates, unlike most people in my area. After a session with her I feel better for about a week before the symptoms get bad again. I'm going to see her regularly for awhile until I can get the pain under control.

I'm rather frustrated with my psychotherapy right now. After several weeks of feeling like I was making progress, I now feel like I'm stuck. I'm not moving forward. In fact I feel like things are repeating now and I don't know what to do about it. I already wrote my therapist today to get her views on this, but I'm waiting to hear back.

So, right now I'm just feeling frustrated and emotional.

JJ

• 1 year later...

Hi all.

Time for an update.

Two weeks ago I started having pain a tooth on my upper right. It's having the typical root canal symptoms, hot/cold sensitivity, pain with biting & chewing, constant toothache and throbbing toothache.

So, I went to see my dentist, Dr. C.,  and told him what's been going on. It was just a sudden onset of symptoms. He took x-rays, examined the tooth, checked my bite, had me bite down on cotton and did the cold test. The tooth, #4 a premolar, is definately having root canal symptoms, but the x-ray looked fine. I've had this happen before and have no idea what causes it. He said the tooth is behaving like there's something irritating the pulp and the root is dying.

He referred me to the endodontist again, so I have an appointment with Dr. W. I go to see him on Monday, Feburary 12th at 9:30 am, which was their soonest appointment. I scheduled it for consultation and treatment all in that appointment. I will also use nitrous oxide during treatment. I did tell the receptionist that I'm in a lot of pain and she said she would call me if any sooner appointments open up.

So, here I am again in this situation. The tooth is hurting a lot and hard to ignore. I'm also very nervous and anxious as I normally am in situations like this. Hope I can keep myself distracted until the appointment.

Any support would be great. Thank you all for listening.

JJ

Hi Everyone.

I have a question.  Let me give you a bit of background first.

I've had a toothache on my upper right teeth for 3 weeks.  This past Thursday the 8th I saw an endodontist at my dentist's referral.  The teeth are having the typical root canal symptoms, hot/cold sensitivity, constant toothache, throbbing toothache and pain with biting and chewing.

When I saw the endodontist he identified two teeth with the same symptoms.  He told me that I would need a root canal treatment on one that day and we would see how the other tooth felt after.  He asked me which one hurt most.  Tooth #6, the canine tooth hurt worse so we did the root canal treatment on #6 on the 8th.  He said that the tooth might be tender and be sensitive to chewing for about a week.  I understand this as I have had root canal treatments previously.  I have been taking Ibuprofen for the post procedure pain.

I know it's only been a short time and the tooth #6 that just had a root canal treatment feels fine.  It's just the usual tenderness you expect after the procedure.

The other tooth #5, a premolar has been hurting all along and has not improved and is still having the same symptoms.

My question is, is it too soon to call the Endodontist's office on Monday to schedule another consultation and treatment on #5?

Or do I need to wait for the week to be up after #6's treatment to let it calm down?

I can tell the difference that now I'm having two types of pain in two different teeth.  I expect #6 to continue to improve because it only has the tenderness from after the procedure and no more root canal symptoms.

But, tooth #5 still has the same symptoms and I'm afraid if I wait it will get worse if I wait.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

JJ

• 3 years later...

Hi All.

My anxiety and stress levels are through the roof right now.

My two front lower teeth #s 24 and 25 have been having root canal symptoms recently. This all started in mid July 2021. My dentist was not able to get me in for an appointment until October 7, 2021. The left one #24 started first. The tooth became chipped when I was eating. The pain started gradually and intermittent at first and then became worse and worse and constant. Now both teeth have pain with hot and cold liquids and foods, sharp pain with hot and cold, the tooth throbs and pain lingers after hot and cold, a constant toothache and pain with biting and chewing.

I saw my dentist three weeks ago. He examined these and the nearby teeth, took x-rays and testing the teeth with endo ice. Both #24 and #25 were positive testing to the endo ice and positive with the tapping on the teeth.

He said the x-rays look fine. No signs of disease or illness other than the one tooth being chipped. He referred me to the endodontist for a consultation and root canal treatment and sent the x-rays to them.

I saw the endodontist for a consult yesterday Tuesday, November 2, 2021. I’ve seen this doctor before and he knows my history. I had a 3D cone beam CT scan performed at this appointment. I also had regular digital x-rays taken of the teeth in the area. He examined teeth numbers 22, 23, 24 and 25. Tooth #22 was normal to all testing. Tooth #23 actually surprised me and hurt the worst at this time. Tooth #23 the doctor told me had a previous root canal treatment, maybe 2-3 years ago. The tooth tested positive to all tests including tapping, gum probing, biting on cotton and cold testing. He showed me the digital x-ray that showed the tooth has extensive damage to the tooth and the surrounding gums. He diagnosed it with External Tooth Root Resorption. I’ve heard this diagnosis a few times before with different teeth. This is considered an auto-immune disease that only affects the teeth. It’s thought to be caused by trauma which in my case is likely the double jaw surgery I had in 2014 in addition to adult braces. He said the previous root canal treatment on #23 is breaking down and no longer helping the tooth. He said that normally he’d recommend a root canal re-treatment but that in this case it would be likely to fail. The tooth is too fragile and weak and he is also concerned about the surrounding gum tissue. This is why the re-treatment is not recommended. His recommendation is to extract this tooth and to replace it with an implant. The implant would be placed 2-3 months after the extraction giving the surgical site time to heal. I may need a bone graft but they won’t know until my dentist sees me.

So teeth #s 24 and 25 are also a possible cause for concern. These teeth did test positive to the tapping and biting on cotton. I did feel cold pain with these teeth also but he said they were within normal ranges at this time. This seemed odd to me because when my dentist tested those two teeth they hurt me a ton with the cold test. The endodontist said that this may be because tooth #23 is hurting me so bad. After #23 has healed from the extraction, about 2 weeks, he wants to see me again to re-test #24 and #25. These teeth may need root canal treatments but it’s hard to know at this time with #23 hurting so badly right next to the other suspect teeth.

As soon as I got all of this news my anxiety and stress levels got out of control. I felt like I wanted to cry in the dental chair. I think I was just in shock at the time.

Right after the appointment I called my dentist and their next opening for an extraction appointment was a month and a half out. I took the appointment and then called around to a couple of Oral Surgeon offices to get their recommendations and appointment availability. The Oral Surgeon has an appointment on Thursday, November 11, 2021 in the afternoon. They said they could do a consult and treatment in the same day. They could also do my implant later on. I took this appointment and cancelled the other one. This tooth #23 is hurting me so bad that I just can’t wait any longer. The office does offer Nitrous Oxide which I told them I want to use for this appointment. It’s the only way I can get through dental treatment without having a panic attack.

The Endodontist is also very concerned about my gums around this tooth #23. He measured the pockets at the appointment and that really hurt. I had a bone and gum graft on my six lower front teeth about four years ago and this tooth was part of that. He wants me to see my Periodontist again to re-evaluate this tooth and the rest of the bone and gum graft. We’re hoping the grafts are not failing.

I’ve been alternating taking OTC Tylenol and Aleeve. I was advised several years ago to try to avoid Ibuprofen due to a stomach condition called Gastritis. I was so stressed at the Endodontist appointment that I forgot to ask what to take for pain. I called the next day and they are calling in a prescription of Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen 800 mg. They are aware of the stomach issue and said that taking it short term should not cause any issues.

These teeth are just hurting a lot. The pain is keeping me up and waking me at night. During the day it hurts so bad that I'm distracted at work and during regular daily activities. I'm stressed and anxious not knowing what will happen. I still have these potential root canal treatments hanging over my head.

I’m super anxious, stressed and nervous about meeting a new doctor the Oral Surgeon and of the procedure of the extraction and the future procedure of the implant. I’ve had extractions before but it was 8 teeth at once to prepare for my double jaw surgery so I had IV sedation at that time. I think in comparison the nitrous will work for just one tooth. The appointment is supposed to be 1 hour and 15 minutes for the consult and extraction at the same time.

I’ve never had an implant before so the unknown of a new procedure is really freaking me out. I also plan to use the nitrous for this future procedure.

I was told years ago when I had my first root canal treatment that being that I was so young that the root canals would likely have to be re-treated and the teeth would break down over time causing the need for extractions. I just hoped this wasn’t true and never expected it to happen so soon. I’m afraid this is just the beginning of more future extractions to come.

This auto-immune disorder External Tooth Root Resorption is a rare condition and in my case is very aggressive. This is at least my third diagnosis in 2-3 years.

I've attached the x-ray is anyone is curious. If you look at the tooth #23 you can see the old root canal breaking down. Also if you look for the circle in the middle of the tooth that is the Resorption.

I'm now 4 days post-op from #23 being extracted. I asked the Oral Surgeon about the External Resorption and it's likely progression and prognosis concerning my other teeth. He said that since this disease is very rare and aggressive it's hard to say. He thinks it will likely attack the rest of my teeth one by one leading to root canal treatments and eventually more extractions.

I've already had 18 of my teeth root canaled in 10 years. A lot of these teeth the root canal treatments are begining to fail and causing me pain again.

I have about 10 'healthy' teeth left and right now 7 of them are having pain and signs of illness. Three of them may need root canal treatments but I'm waiting to see the Endodontist this week.

I was told a few years ago that my teeth are so fragile that they will all likely need to be extracted at some point and the root canals don't last forever.

I'm seriously considering full mouth extractions right now. I'm sick and tired of having pain and anxiety about my teeth. If I did this I would have them all replaced with implants.

Has anyone here had experience with full mouth extractions, implants and/or External Tooth Root Resorption?

Feeling very lost, confused, fearful and anxious right now.

I just need some support right now. Thank you for listening to me vent.

JJ

Edited by Lindsay
No pictures are to be inserted in the Forums