How Much To Tell Fiancé

ac1991

So I've been going to therapy since February, usually once a week, sometimes twice if the first time didn't go so well and I feel like I'll need the extra support and processing to keep myself out of my head. Also on AD which is helping a good amount with the physical aspects ( lack of energy, motivation, etc) which is helping me then have the energy to try and work on understanding and managing the root causes when I talk with my therapist.

Only my fiancé and a few close friends know that I'm in treatment or that anything is wrong-even though I've been fighting this battle for a number of years, it's always been my secret. Therapy has been an interesting journey so far, much different than I thought it would be since I have a hard time talking. Usually I try to process things by journaling afterwards, but my fiancé keeps telling me that I can talk to her about it too.

So my question for other people is how much about therapy sessions do you tell your significant other?

I would assume that you and your fiancee talk generically about life in general, your issues and concerns, hopes, plans, peeves, problems?

Then she's probably got a pretty good idea about what you discuss with your therapist?

I'd say that you shouldn't feel forced to discuss anything with her unless there are specific actions that you and your therapist thing would be beneficial.  Otherwise, I'd hope the trusting, loving relationship would mean the two of you share things that run concurrently with your therapy.

Thanks for the responses. Mostly I think my issue is more because we end up covering a lot of different ground, and it has seemed to vary even session to session, I don't even always know how to process it into words to share. And then there's also a desire/concern to protect her from my sadness and keep her from having to worry if I keep it under wraps.

Sometimes I tell hubby everything, sometimes I don't tell him anything. I do whatever I feel like is right for me, that being said, I was up front when we were going to get married about my past and he knew the important parts of my history, i thought he needed to know and I am glad because it has reared its ugly head many, many times since we got married. If I tell him stuff I keep it to the important facts and how I will be trying to work on it during the coming days, I don't want to turn him into an untrained therapist by telling too much, but as my hubby he needs to hear a little bit of what is going on in  my head just as I need to talk sometimes.

Have you asked her if she feels like she needs to know? My hubby said he didn't need to know what went on in therapy unless I felt like he needed to, that it was and is up to me to decide how much to share, the main thing is that I feel safe and secure and continue to try to heal.

My therapy sessions run away sometimes, there is so much in my brain that I need to get out sometimes and I just ramble around, T mostly follows me and talks with me about it and then tried to get me to a kernel of an issue to work on. LOL Sometimes I can focus on one thing, sometimes i can't.