What Are You Reading?

Starsea

I'm finding some self-help books, uh, helpful. And I thought I would ask what others are reading - either self-help or not - and whether they find the books helpful.

I'm reading: "Mind over Mood" and "The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem"

Both appear to be helpful to me.

Peace

Taipei by Tao Lin. He's one of my favorite authors and I've been waiting to read this book for a while. I feel that it's written less stylistically than his previous books but it is my favorite so far.

Taipei is part autobiographical and I see so much of myself in the main character that I sometimes have to put the book down. It brings back so many memories of my previous relationship.

Drama of the Gifted Child by Alice Miller

Anything(as in any of her books) by Brene Brown

Anything (8 Keys one is amazing) by Carolyn Costin (but she is ed specific)

Will I ever be good enough by Karyl McBride

Self compassion by Neff

Edited by lp44

I've been focusing most of my "self-help" reading on Buddhist books because, for me, the practicalities of that philosophy are very simple to incorporate into life (with practice) and they make sense.  I also find that Buddhism is the only thing that gives me any peace or hope.

I'm currently reading "Loving-Kindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness" by Sharon Salzberg and, although I haven't started it yet, I just got the audio CDs of "Perfect Just as You Are," by Pema Chodren.  The latter was recommended to me by my therapist (who is a Buddhist priest) because I am struggling with self-hate and I'm not feeling too kindly toward others, either, so the loving-kindness thing is kind of hard right now.

I've been focusing most of my "self-help" reading on Buddhist books because, for me, the practicalities of that philosophy are very simple to incorporate into life (with practice) and they make sense.  I also find that Buddhism is the only thing that gives me any peace or hope.

I'm currently reading "Loving-Kindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness" by Sharon Salzberg and, although I haven't started it yet, I just got the audio CDs of "Perfect Just as You Are," by Pema Chodren.  The latter was recommended to me by my therapist (who is a Buddhist priest) because I am struggling with self-hate and I'm not feeling too kindly toward others, either, so the loving-kindness thing is kind of hard right now.

I've been known to read The Dhammapada, myself. I like the psychology of The Buddha.

Peace

Here's where I get laughed at....

I downloaded some self-help books and put them on my ipad.

Other than that I am reading Star Wars: Heir to the Jedi and comic books. I know that I am almost a 42 year old man but I do enjoy that stuff and it provides a great escape for me.

I want to start The Martian and Ready Player One and possibly go back and read the A Song of Ice & Fire (Game of Thrones) series for the third time. Hurry up with book 6 already!!!!

Peace & Love

Starhawk by Jack McDevitt

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams.

I'm a sci-fi geek.

Me too! Any good??

Ya. Jack McDevitt writes old school, "hard" space exploration type stories. He develops his characters well and they act like actual human beings (not super heroes). I really like his style.

Douglas Adams is best known for "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" It's hilarious stuff. 

• 5 weeks later...

Palahniuk novels what are I tend to read during lows and sci-if/fantasy when I'm content.

Palahniuk explores some very dark places of the human mind. His characters are very human and they're appalling but so relatable. I love his novels. Highly recommend to anyone who has never read them. Invisible monsters is my favorite.

If you're not familiar with who palahniuk is, he wrote fight club.

Palahniuk novels what are I tend to read during lows and sci-if/fantasy when I'm content.

Palahniuk explores some very dark places of the human mind. His characters are very human and they're appalling but so relatable. I love his novels. Highly recommend to anyone who has never read them. Invisible monsters is my favorite.

If you're not familiar with who palahniuk is, he wrote fight club.

I am Jack's library card....

Let's see if they have anything hidden between the 62 copies of Twilight and 47 copies of Harry Potter.

My library stinks :-(