The Older I Get, The Less People Put Up With Me.

A child with mental illness is a victim; an adult with mental illness is immature. That is usually the vibe I get. I'm reaching my mid-twenties and I can't help but feel that as I get older, fewer and fewer people will want to be around me. I'm afraid that I'll die alone.

It is true that many, many people have an intolerant attitude toward others with mental illness these days.  And it seems like you are expected to be more responsible the older you get.  I guess I've run into a lot of people, too, as I've gotten older (i'm 54) who just don't get it.  But, what I'm learning (and I wish I had learned this a long time ago) is that I need to continually try to build relationships with people who seem understanding and nurture those friendships, because they are truly precious.  

UFO,

It is not wrong to struggle with mental illness, just like it is not wrong to struggle with cancer or diabetes. Don't let the ignorance of society infect your attitude.  Struggling with mental illness is not immature.  It takes an incredibly strong person to struggle with mental illness.  You might try watching the 'Stanford's Sapolsky on Depression' YouTube video that's pinned in the 'Depression Central' forum.  rhyl is right, build relationships with people who can be understanding about your struggle.  They are out there, and there are many here on DF.  You won't die alone, UFO.  You are not alone.  :hugs: